D.P. Knives Wilderness Pass Around

Tony thanks for letting me in on this passaround.

The DP Wilderness knife was waiting for me when I got home this evening.

Initial impression: Great blade shape, thin but attractive scales, nice Kydex sheath.

I’ll put it to the test over the next few days and get some photos and my review posted ASAP.

"If you're not living on the edge, …you're taking up too much space."

Big Mike

I think my review is going to be pretty unbiased. Until the I met Tony at the gathering in SEP, I had never so much as heard of DP Knives before. I picked out a couple of his other DPs (with the bloodwood scales IIRC) from the trees of knives, and I really liked their look and feel. I asked Tony who made them and he said "DP". I then said "Come on, who is the maker" He again said "Don't you see the DP logo on the blade" to which I (being embarrased) conceeded to him that I thought DP was the makers initials:p Tony suggested that I get in on the passaround. After I put myself in on the passaround thread, I checked out DP's website- and I noticed their prices were pretty reasonable for the product they offered. I think someday I will buy something from them- though I don't know what/ when yet.

My first impressions:
The overall quality of the knife was top notch. The fit,finish and worksmanship were excellent. The wood scales looked a lot better than they did in photographs- which didn't do their color or grain justice. While the knife may have been slim, it was amazingly comfortable in the hand. I liked the fact that the blade had some belly to it, but didn't have too much belly. While the grip was comfortable I didn't really care for the angle on this particular model. Also, I'm not used to the finger groove. I could think of situations when it might be necessary, but it's just not my thing. I let my dad play with it a little. I think he liked it more than I did, and kept asking me if he could play with it. He also thought that DP's pricing was relatively economical. and in general he had nothing but nice words for it. I liked the sheath as well. It held the knife securly and looked good. I attached a snap link and carried it from my belt loop and later my bag. Especially from the bag, accessing it was fast, and I had no concern about it falling out or anything.

Here is a couple pics from when I used it in the kitchen:

p1050243cl8.jpg

p1050244fb5.jpg

I'll add a couple more pics (taken in the woods) from the other SD card later (in about a week).

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of Tony’s "DP Knives Wilderness" passaround knife.

tdp01rb1.jpg

tdp02rw7.jpg

tdp03dq2.jpg

tdp09lk2.jpg

tdp13dt8.jpg

I like this knife a lot, :thumbup: more then I though I would, :eek:

…my review will follow. :cool:

"If you're not living on the edge, …you're taking up too much space."

Big Mike

Last edited:
Big Mike - your pictures are really nice.

I liked that knife a lot too - it will probably be my 4th DP when the silly season is over.

I'm still looking for my cord to get my pics from my camera to the computer - I think my 3 year old son has something to do with its location....

Tony - thanks for doing two passarounds. They are both great blades.

Well, finally as promised - pictures!

DSC02376.jpg

With my other DP Knives
DSC02372.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

DSC02373.jpg

DSC02374.jpg

Models are DP Hunter, Companion, and Small Game Knife. Handles are Bloodwood.

As tonym's knife was the 4th DP that I've handled, I liked it. I didn't find a hotspot that was talked about. I see why some have said they didn't like the angle cut on the handle but I didn't mind it. The scales were the thinnest on any of the DPs that I've handled and I liked the feel. It was on par for the limited amount of time I had to use it and I think it would make a fine field knife.

Doug makes a good knife at a good price. I will pick up one of these after the holiday season.

CMDR- awsome collection:cool: I love that bloodwood:)

Some more pictures from the other card:

1040365xa0.jpg

My poor photography doesnt do the knife or what it did justice- It actually did a very vice job of making thin shavings and curling the wood.

1040369eh4.jpg

Here's my ugly mug (self-taken). The DP is attached to my bag under my right shoulder.

1040370yy8.jpg

And a Close up of the DP sheathed.

Here is a teaser for all of you. This is one that I just delivered to my brother, it is a Christmas gift for his wives brother. I think he will like it a lot. It looks like most of you in the pass around liked the knife and thanks for all your input and a BIG THANKS to Tony for getting this out there. Doug

b1.jpg

b5.jpg

Wow, Doug, that's impressive! Great wood, and nice job on the filework. I don't know many people who would be unhappy with that knife.

Back