Test ad

Daniel Fairly "borrowing"from another maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not usually one to complain unless I really see an injustice. A good friend of mine Jeremy Horton has been making a distinct blade style for quite a while now. It is recognized everywhere as a Horton !!!! Recently Daniel "borrowed" this design without any tip of the hat or a nod to the designer of it. Very uncool. Compare the pics and see if you agree.

Fairly
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/860269-Fairly-Knives-Photos/page9

Horton
003-4.jpg

What is the standard when a design is similar to another maker.. Are you suposed to ask the maker if it is ok to do a few similar or do you just do it and hope nobody notices. I only ask because I make a fair amount of blades and I know I have made bushcraft knives that look like other makers and I know they have made bushcraft knives that look like sombody else'e . So where do you draw the line. There are only so many ways to skin a cat.

I am not usually one to complain unless I really see an injustice. A good friend of mine Jeremy Horton has been making a distinct blade style for quite a while now. It is recognized everywhere as a Horton !!!! Recently Daniel "borrowed" this design without any tip of the hat or a nod to the designer of it. Very uncool. Compare the pics and see if you agree.

Fairly
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/860269-Fairly-Knives-Photos/page9

Horton
003-4.jpg

Asking another knifemaker as a friend and admirer will get you far. I am sure most will oblige. When you make one using their design simply give them credit..

Here's my issue with it... Jeremy's design is very unique and he's been doing it for quite some time now. Aside from the man and community behind them, his unique blades are one of the main reasons why his knives are so popular and sought after. If it were a handle element or finishing style or even blade shape, I would probably understand and let it slide as a coincidence, but that grind is unmistakable. The fact that Mr. Fairly is so public about the knives that he makes tells me that he most likely meant no harm by it (or thought nobody would make the connection?), but regardless it is still stealing and looks very bad for him. It's a perplexing situation indeed.

Looks like he stole a page out of Snody's book as well with that crisis card thingy. I know good original poon (tip) when I see it, hopefully others do as well.

rycen

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mod
Basic Member
Jeremy and Daniel can hash it out here or in private but it's not your issue. Closed

Yeah thats a tough one for me, while I think credit goes to where credit is due and when I see that polished tip I certainly do think Horton first, however I think its a fine line.. clips points, drop points, chisel grinds, polished tips, swedges, how many similarities can be found among blade profiles?

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I in no way tried to rip off another makers design.

I just talked to Jeremy about this and will not be making any knives like it again.

Styles can develop on their own but Jeremy really owns his style. Mine was too close in retrospect. I'm a huge fan of his work and did not mean to do him wrong.

Jeremy, even though I talked to you I'd like to apologize to you here on Bladeforums. I have nothing but huge respect for you and your work.

I think its hard to simply be original with so much talent today. And with the internet making it possible to see so many new designs I can see how the line is crossed.

similarities are one thing. a damn near exact copy of several different knives and knife like objects is another

Kiah

S&S Moderator
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Looks like he stole a page out of Snody's book as well with that crisis card thingy.

That's a bit of a stretch. Credit card knives have been around a long time and Fairly's look a lot closer to the old school ones. Snody's are completely different.

both of those makers' knives look like the Nealy Pesh Kabz

Or any number of Striders.

I have knives by both of these makers, and that's because I like their designs. They caught my attention in the spring/summer of 2011 when I saw pics of their chiseled convexed poon tips. Jeremy is by far the more popular maker, and goes to the different shows and gatherings. Daniel mostly makes what his customers order, and when pics are posted others usually end up making the same requests.

I have to take issue here,
why was my comment deleted in your forum?
If you indeed are apologizing,it should have caused no harm remaining there.

IMWILSON

Gold Member
similarities are one thing. a damn near exact copy of several different knives and knife like objects is another

The man has talked to Horton and made a public apology, what more do you want? Looks like you're trying to stir the pot.

Bigfattyt

Gold Member
Good to see a conversation between makers.

I am of two opinions on this topic. It can be hard to make knives without your design being similar to something some one else some where once maid. Loveless style, Randal, Scagle, it can be tough to make your "own" style with stepping on others toes!

I think there is room for everyone! If you take design cues from other knives give props, and put your own twist on it. And go. From there!

IMWILSON

Gold Member

I am of two opinions on this topic. It can be hard to make knives without your design being similar to something some one else some where once maid. Loveless style, Randal, Scagle, it can be tough to make your "own" style with stepping on others toes!

I think there is room for everyone! If you take design cues from other knives give props, and put your own twist on it. And go. From there!

Well said, Sir.:thumbup:

I agree completely. If those design cues are really identified with another maker it doesnt hurt to give props with every knife. Case in point. Jeremy has permission from Tom Mayo to use his recognizable holes drilled into the handle slabs. Whenever he makes a knife that uses them he always mentions it in the description of said knife. Always..

The man has talked to Horton and made a public apology, what more do you want? Looks like you're trying to stir the pot.

id like to know why my comments were deleted. and its not just one design or maker sir

Status
Not open for further replies.