Daryl's Crossbow: A terrible SHTF weapon

So this popped up in my Yahoo feed and I thought it would be interesting to you guys

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/12/0...ent=2013-12-10&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

This is the beginning of the article

Editor’s Note: In honor of the recently aired mid-season finale of The Walking Dead, we bring you the following takedown of Daryl Dixon’s weapon of choice.

While many preppers are busy stockpiling hordes of rifles, shotguns, and handguns plus cases of ammunition for a looming doomsday scenario, others are thinking more broadly about other weapons options. Thanks to the success of AMC’s The Walking Dead, one of the options that has become popular with preppers is the crossbow.

On TWD, one of the main characters (Norman Reedus’s Daryl Dixon) uses a crossbow with quite an astonishing amount of lethal success. But is this even remotely realistic? Let’s take a look at this bolt (arrow) shooting implement to see its implications as a true SHTF tool.

- See more at: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/12/0...mpaign=Weekly+Newsletter#sthash.WMcPbKHJ.dpuf

This "dr. John" apparently doesn't have much experience with a crossbow. Btw I doubt he's a real Dr. It's what your proficient with. I wouldn't choose it, but I have hardly ever used one. Daryl is in a target rich environment and has plenty of practice.

I have owned and loved a crossbow for years and it has earned its place in my SHTF kit for the last 2 years. I don't watch the walking dead but I have begun to hate its reputation because whenever I show people my kit the see my big knife and my cross bow and they think I'm a Derryl wanna-be, It drives me up the wall. Anyway crossbows are great weapons over rifles in a SHTF situation because of the renewable ammo, (if you had to you could shoot homemade bolts from a crossbow) Scavengable ammo so in theory you have infinite ammo. Also maintenance is next to none compared to a rifle. Range is lacking yes at ~50 but better than a melee.
The reason everyone hates on crossbows but honestly they haven't tried the good ones because like knives the cheap ones are usually crap but if you're willing to shell out a little cash than you can get something fantastic. I have three crossbows actually; one of those little pistol ones, a Barnett Predator and my good one is a Barnett Ghost 350. People doubt that a crossbow could penetrate a human skull, I beg to differ. My bolts go a good 4 yards through a elk whenever I bag one, Definitely powerful enough to punch a hole in a skull if you are asking me.also they are a lot quieter as to not alert surrounding zombies of your kill. anyway thats just my $.02.

No crossbows for me, but I do have a tactical Mathews Heli'm compound bow that I hope to dress up and have ready for next hunting season... And zombies :)

No crossbows for me, but I do have a tactical Mathews Heli'm compound bow that I hope to dress up and have ready for next hunting season... And zombies :)

I never really liked the compound bow, It combines the lack of romance of the crossbow and the massive room for error of the long/recurve bow.

I just read that article then logged on here, I am sure it might have some disadvantages,
I wouldn't mind owning one.

Crossbows are cool. The idea that you can recycle your ammo or as noted before fire makeshift bolts is nice. Other than that they're slow as hell to reload, ammo takes up far more room than bullets, etc.

They're definitely quieter than guns. But anyone who has hit flesh with an arrow knows better than to think it is quiet. Bolts and arrows are surprisingly loud when they connect.

I"d take a gun (any type of gun, really...rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc) over a crossbow just about any day of the week. But a crossbow wouldn't be a bad thing to have. It's certainly better than nothing!

I dearly love my TenPoint 175 lb. They don't make a bunch of racket when you're taking a coyote on the edge of urbanville.

Well to each their own... Whats supposed to romantic about a bow?

I use the term "romantic" in a different context then most. I think a bow has a certain romance connected to its simplicity, Its a more "down to earth" way to hunt. A bow gets you closer to the animal it requires a lot more of technique than a rifle. It connects people to their primeval side, it relies more on instinct. Thats the romantic side of a bow, A compound or crossbow doesn't have that romance.

Also for slow reloading I use a crank affixed to the side of my stock that pulls the string back surprisingly fast(with as much practice as I have its faster than a slow bolt/breach or single shot bolt)

I could not think of a worse choice for a projectile weapon when you need to reload quickly

I'd rather my compound bow. The old 150lb crossbow I had was just far too slow to reload not to mention doing it a dozen times takes its toll on the arms as well.
I'd much rather a suppressed .22 :)

Guys...this is a tv show...reaching for variety of characters and weaponry...all part of the intent to develop and maintain the persona of the cast.;)
I don't hear anyone trashing the babe carrying the sword around as her primary weapon.:D, so why pick on ol' Daryl..isn't there a law somewhere against weaponry discrimination in the actor's guild that we, as the free people of middle earth should respect? :confused: :D

Last edited:
Honestly I'd rather the sword, would have been pretty handy poking some zombies through the fence.

Guys...this is a tv show...reaching for variety of characters and weaponry...all part of the intent to develop and maintain the persona of the cast.;)
I don't hear anyone trashing the babe carrying the sword around as her primary weapon in the 20th century..:D

I don't know the sword is a pretty good Malay weapon against unarmed foes

Honestly I'd rather the sword, would have been pretty handy poking some zombies through the fence.
But, my fellow blade nut, we'd lose the dramatic pause and "oh crud, how's he gonna reload in time?!" effect, and hence eat less popcorn, not to mention all the sighs his loyal patrons would miss out on when he did it...just in time; lest we forget, he's gotta wield that sweet, freaking sweet blade (made by the Bossman)...he's gotta keep the crossbow/blade combo..just gotta, or I'm tearing his poster off my wall, and cancelling my order for the limited edition undies.

Last edited:
I think a good slingshot, and a bow and a long knife would be invaluable. Especially after the ammo and reloads run out, that's all that's left.

lol he thinks The Walking Dead is fake

LMAO!!

I love my recurve bow, havent used it as much as id like but i will when it warms up some more.

And I agree a nice sized knife, a bow, and a slingshot would quickly become more valuable than a rifle in a SHTF scenario once the bullets run out for the rifle. Spear heads, hunting slingshot bands, and arrow tips/broadheads are a plus for any BOB.

Back