David Boye Cast Dendritic Cobalt knife I finished

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
This year at Blade Show, I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and speak with a knifemaking hero of mine, knifemaker and author of the book "Step by Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It", David Boye. When I first began making knives, the internet, YouTube and social media platforms were called books, and David's tome was a crucial part of my exposure to the methods and materials of the craft.

After thanking him for that book, and speaking about all things knives for a bit, he pointed to a couple of his Dendritic Cobalt castings, and I jumped at the chance to complete a knife from the world of such an icon.

28054850207_a327f99560_c.jpg

The castings are close enough to final dimensions that they could be used as-received, but I have to admit that I like stuff shiny. After a bit of grinding and cleanup, I chose a block of curly Myrtle wood I got from my brother @J. Doyle to serve as a handle material. Sixteen million coats of oil later, here's a shot of the final outcome:

29051636438_15595a077d_b.jpg

Regarding the alloy, here's what David has to say about it:

Boye Dendritic Cobalt is a super-performing, investment cast, non-rusting cobalt alloy. It excels on tough fibers like hi-tech rigging line, deck and anchor line, as well as netting. Because it is not a steel, it cuts aggressively and keeps cutting, is completely impervious to seawater corrosion, and is non-magnetic.

Boye Knives are made differently than other knives. Each Boye blade starts out as a wax model, and a hard porcelain shell is built up around it. Molten Cobalt Alloy 6 is poured into the shell, melting out the wax (lost wax), and taking the shape of a blade. As the metal cools, a dense network of fully bonded, hard carbide crystals grows throughout the blade in dendritic (tree-like) patterns. Each blade has its own one-of-a-kind carbide crystal formations, so no two blades are alike.

The cutting edge of each Boye knife has micro-serrations that are produced by the alternation of the hard carbide crystals and the softer surrounding cobalt matrix. The carbide crystals function like rebar, helping the blade maintain its shape and edge integrity over time, and are extremely wear resistant. They are the reason why Boye blades have such an amazing ability to cut long, deep, fast, and clean through hundreds of cuts of tough line. Sharpening exposes a fresh row of carbide micro-serrations ready to go to work.

Neat stuff! I'm thankful to have had the chance to work with it, and to meet such an important influence in the world of knifemaking.

Thanks for looking!

Exceptionally nice. :thumbsup: I must admit though that the "rough" casted blades are beautiful to my eye and did not need polishing (too much). Just a shiny edge would do. Still, Matt, I like what you did with it.

Would be a lovely piece to own and use.

Ray

I have one of his folders and it is a monster cutter essentially forever. Seems to get sharper with use as you wear down the edge then it gets to toothly to cut smoothly. Quick strop and it's back to razor sharp. I strop it once every year or so.

I'm in the same boat as you... got his book when it first came out. He was a"hero" to me. Loved his designs, and his attitude. Saw him at this year's Blade Show and I was VERY tempted to get a few of his cast blades. I was a bit shocked at how old he looked, I was expecting to see him as he was on his book cover 40 years ago (LOL) !!!! (Hell, I'm 40 years older too... and look it)
Seeing yours, I guess I'll have to order a few now. Nice job.

DeUJ6TF.jpg

07EDD300-CA84-4B74-B40F-C0BD9F596F95.jpeg My best guess on Dendritic Cobalt is that it is Stellite 6-B. It lends itself to pouring as does Dendritic Steel, 440-C. I sometimes modify the tips of my Boye folders. The blade pouring process entails little waste, so you get a lot of knife for your money.

That came out amazing! I have a cast 440 Basic 3 that I thinned out to .125" at the spine/.010" BTE for kitchen duty (amazing:D), I may have to give it a polish;).

~Chip

Great job buddy, makes for an exceptional knife! Now send it Francine for some etching...:cool:

I’m a fan of Boye knives and have collected many over the years dating back to the knives he made from saw blades circa 1976....his book was also my first ‘How To’ exposure....I’ve tried to collect a bit of all eras and styles, especially the etched blades.

2097BEBA-33DC-4AB6-B039-1F56C982DD69.jpeg C7EAB0CD-8334-440B-BA5E-4EAE1876776F.jpeg

Back