1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

David Boye Cast Dendritic Cobalt knife I finished

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Matthew Gregory, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    Matt and I worked out a deal where in I ended up with the larger of the two blades and it is very well done and really cuts great too !

[​IMG]Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

I've never seen let alone heard of Myrtyle wood but it looks great and fits the hand nicely.
    G2

2. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Great snag Gary

Gary W. Graley and Mike157 like this.
  3. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    That is cool as hell. And that little knife is just beautiful.

4. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    I really wanted to pick up one of these unfinished blades at Blade Show but I didn't see them until Sunday and my knives were already shipped back:(

5. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    You can always reach out to David Boye and see what he has available
    G2

WValtakis likes this.
  6. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Couldn’t have ended up in better hands. :)

Way nicer leather than I do, too.

RayseM and Gary W. Graley like this.
  7. GLOUGLOU

GLOUGLOU

Aug 22, 2006
    Marvelous knife. I’d like to have one in my collection. I’m very curious to test the cutting power of this kind of steel

8. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    The alloy is about 1/2 Chrome and 1/2 Cobalt. There is very little steel (Iron) in it. They put this on the edge of bulldozer blades for wear resistance.

9. GLOUGLOU

GLOUGLOU

Aug 22, 2006
    Oh thanks

10. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Go to his website www.boyeknives.com he's got info and cutting tests. No matter how great a Boye knife looks, you can be sure it cuts and cuts better than most!

Gary W. Graley likes this.
  11. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Very true, this one here, I am pretty amazed at the keen edge that it has taken, razor sharp, just a light pass down my arm and swish off the hair flies.

G2

d762nato, J D Wijbenga, fq55 and 2 others like this.
  12. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    At the start of this thread is a photo of a pair of David's castings that I bought at Blade Show - here's the smaller of the two, a cute little bird and trout knife, that I finally finished up yesterday. Same figured Myrtle as the larger one.

[​IMG]

13. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    Pretty amazing and quite handy looking knife right there Matt, nice job!
    G2

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  14. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    This one came out very nicely. The Myrtle looks good and the handle shape seems perfect for this knife. Very nice package. Mike

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  15. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    You should give it whomever cooks the most for you. I use my little and full size Basics in the kitchen.

16. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    My reground Basic 4 is the most used knife in the kitchen;)

17. Matthew Gregory

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks, buddy.

I like the simple flow of it. I didn’t want to vary too far off of David’s page with it, and think I managed to do that here.

I would, but I think she’s already got better dedicated kitchen cutlery. ;)

woodysone, Mike157 and WValtakis like this.
  18. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    I'm very jealous. Both at the finished product, and the casting it started as.

I'm going to have Boye Dendritic Cobalt on my mind. How would a guy go about getting a casting if at all possible?

Mike157 likes this.
  19. Gary W. Graley

Mar 2, 1999
    And here's a shot of the two of them together, pardon the supporting bit, tricky to get them to cooperate ;)

[​IMG]Boyes by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

20. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    I’ve only seen the castings available, with David, at the Blade Show, the last couple of years. He has a web site. You might try contacting him there. If it is just a dentritic cobalt blade you want, it looks like the full tang with wrapped handle models may be available, and his folders also. With a bit of searching, you might be able to find a used, finished knife, similar to Matt and Gary’s.

David’s earliest knives we’re made from large carbon steel circular saw mill blades. He next moved to the cast 440c blades, then on to the cast cobalt blades. If buying used, just confirm what you’re looking at. Mike

Gary W. Graley likes this.