Dedicated chopper

360joules

Gold Member
We’ve owned several large blades, you and I. One grail to the next. 1311. Moab. Shbm. So many knives have come and gone.

Your other knife needs are met. So where do you stand now? Which Busse or kin is your favorite dedicated chopper?

I’m hoping that mine will be a nmfbm. We’ll soon see.

911...it serves the purpose well and fits nicely in a back pack, while staying in my standard of being able to consider it a knife. I had the 1311, but this blade was to long for tight spaces in my use. The FBM LE was just too much as far as a practical carry knife (but cool as hell!!, If I could a afford a pricey non user, I would still have it).....If a chopping size knife can't also carry well, I won't use it. If I'm staying put, I will just use an axe at home if I need a chopper

Last edited:
I have not tried a MOAB, but given the specs it will not be the best choice for me. I fell in love with the NMFBM, for me it handles exceptionally well and chops very efficiently.

I too cast a vote for the NMFBM. Although big, it does carry somewhat well compared to other large blades. I have to say though, since my newly aquired 1111 has seen some carnage .....it has earned a spot as a well balanced chopper for me.

I have owned all the blades you mention, and still own all with the exception of the SHBM. There is no contest for a dedicated chopper IMO. The MOAB bites vastly deeper and hits harder than any other. I want to point out that I have the "skinny" MOAB that was a Blade Show exclusive. I have held the full thickness MOAB but have never had any actual swing time with one, so I can't speak for it as a chopper, but I will say I definitely prefer the feel of my version. As an all around knife I absolutely love my NMFBM; it is arguably my favorite all around Busse, but it is not a king chopper. The only knife that has ever rivaled my MOAB for chopping, and in some cases beat my MOAB, is my Keffeler Sasquatch.

There are many I haven't had a chance to handle or use yet, like the NMFBM, MOAB, KZ, or War Sword.

Of the ones I own, my BB13 takes the crown:

2017_08_21_17_15_37.jpg

In terms of price to performance, I doubt it can be bested... unless someone wants to sell me an NMFBM or MOAB for like $400??? :D

B11 for me. :thumbsup:

(insert heavy chopper here) ...was just too much as far as a practical carry knife....If a chopping size knife can't also carry well, I won't use it...
extrastout’s observation is key for me as well, and I’ll take it a step further:

I did a chop off last summer and included a bow saw (21” blade) in the mix. On any wood larger than 3” dia, the saw blew all the heavy choppers away in terms of time and energy expended. Also cuts more cleanly than any chopper, requires no overhead clearance for backswing, and is much more controllable—no glancing blows and no over-travel, putting at risk whatever’s behind the target.

The B11 performs machete duty plus batonning very well, which the saw can’t do, and has lateral strength (.25” thick) for prying/digging that a machete can’t match, plus it carries very well. In a pinch, it goes through thick stuff (3-5”+ dia) pretty darn well for its size and weight (17 oz). Any heavier/longer blade is not a viable option to me as a “dedicated chopper”, when the bow saw weighs the same as a B11—17-18 oz—and does a cleaner/safer/easier/quicker job than a heavy chopper.

Last edited:
That Busse War sword looks like its bigger than the Moab, have you given it a few whacks yet? I haven't done much hardcore chopping with My Busses yet, mostly just kindling gathering. I use my RMJ Shrike and a 14 inch 01 chopper most of the time when wood splitting.

My BGBB13 for home use and my 1311 if I'm camping. My 1311 was my most used chopper for years. Also it depends on what type of wood you'r3 chopping, the stuff in Rob Stanleys videos looks like its rock hard! My local stuff is not like that.

This one's easy ;) ...

PROS:thumbsup::
1. Gives you the length to process otherwise un-processable o_O material
2. Extremely lightweight for such a long blade...great pack knife!
3. Can be used very comfortably in draw knife fashion
4. Great handle size & ergos
5. Large sweet spot ... I thought my B11's was great-- and it was until I swung my friend's 1311 :D
6. Slices well for a large blade
7. Is a serviceable machete if you're in a pinch for one

CONS:thumbsdown::
1. Might...Might hell--- I'm just kidding myself...It WILL FRIGHTEN :eek: sheeple
2. Res-C will work up a mean blister if you don't have gloves and work with your 1311 for an extended period

FBM LE has been my go-to chopper for the past 11 years. I've tried lots of others in the mean time, but nothing's knocked it off the top spot.

I agree with extrastout!! Must be reasonable to carry. So Res-c is king for me in a chopper. The Swamp Rat Battle Rat and Basic -11 are my choice.
CRS78SZ.jpg
OQTlaX0.jpg
uvlfdQ1.jpg

911...it serves the purpose well and fits nicely in a back pack. FBM LE was just too much as far as a practical carry knife....If a chopping size knife can't also carry well, I won't use it. If I'm staying put, I will just use an axe at home if I need a chopper

I’ve got to go with the 1311 too. It was a heck of a deal when offered through the Yard. Had a B11 and sold it in favor of the 1311. The Chop House is a pretty sweet one. This summer I’ll put the two to the test.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about a dedicated chopper (all other knife needs are satisfied and are therefore outside the scope of this thread). If this thread is about pack ability / weight considerations or performance per dollar spent, etc. than it is an entirely different story. Naturally, nobody in their right mind would pack a MOAB on a multi day hike into the wilderness. Also, a saw or an axe and a small knife is a much better survival tool than a large knife. I use a large knife to chop down trees for the simple reason that it is fun, and pack weight is not a concern for me in this scenario; this scenario, as I read it, is solely about a dedicated chopper.

BB13, nothing comes close imho. Just such a powerful chopper. granted, I havent swung a moab or fbm at a tree limb yet so who knows :D

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about a dedicated chopper...

For vehicle carry, especially for emergency rescue/breaching/extraction, a big indestructible knife (“sharpened prybar”) has its place in my view. And they’re a lot of fun for engaging in general mayhem. :thumbsup::D

They’re just not very efficient as choppers in my opinion, as compared with other available (and incidentally much cheaper) tools designed for processing wood—saws, axes—even machetes, on the lighter stuff.

So the concept of a knife as a “dedicated chopper” has lost some meaning for me in terms of practical use. A knife that won’t do other things well besides chopping, or is too cumbersome to carry, is a non-starter for me. That’s all I was trying to convey.

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this thread was about a dedicated chopper (all other knife needs are satisfied and are therefore outside the scope of this thread). If this thread is about pack ability / weight considerations or performance per dollar spent, etc. than it is an entirely different story...

My thoughts exactly.

If packability and versatility were factors, but sticking with large blades as opposed to axes and saws, the BOOM Parang might slightly edge out the 1111 and 1311 for me. I really like that blade a ton. If I had a B11 it would probably be in the mix as well, but I haven't had a chance to use one.

Back