Demko AD20: Share Your Images and Experience

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
I will have one of these in my hands soon and wanted to hear from our members what their impressions and experiences with the AD20 have been up until now.

Feel free to add images, thoughts and comparisons vis-a-vis other hard use folders the AD20 would rightly be judged against.

Thanks in advance.

Very smooth, easy to open and close,lots of fun to play with,and its coming in great blade steels too. I was lucky enough to snag the last one on the second run of them 6-8 months ago, in the exact configuration i wanted; solid blade blue g10 handles 3v steel .If you can grab one i highly recommend it.

goldie goldie

Is your 3v blade coated? I can't tell from image. I'm a fan of 3v. I've had a small custom utility knife made by Ed Schott for about 20 years which sees regular use around my home.

Any issues with oxidation? I haven't had any because that blade of mine sees mostly indoor usage.

Very smooth, easy to open and close,lots of fun to play with,and its coming in great blade steels too. I was lucky enough to snag the last one on the second run of them 6-8 months ago, in the exact configuration i wanted; solid blade blue g10 handles 3v steel .If you can grab one i highly recommend it.

Entirely off topic, but heck yeah GSG-5!!!! I have never seen another one in the wild!! Love mine, I have that same handgrip. :D

We're almost twinsies:D Mine's in 20CV though....great knives with a nifty lock:thumbsup:

20210309_091937.jpg

Blade is stonewashed.No oxidation on blade although havent carried it much outdoors. The last run i saw they were all DLC coated, not what i would have wanted. Yup that blue was the best looking configuration .

That is a great configuration for sure. I'm also on the hunt for an AD20 but they are difficult to find. Pictures and experiences will help until I can hunt one down.

I snagged one of the Cru-Wear exclusives offered by DLT Trading the other day...in the OD Green I was after.

CPM Cru-Wear hits a sweet spot for me...not as tough as 3v, but better edge holding and more native corrosion resistance. Sort of splitting the difference between 3v and M4. (I was actually seeking the 3v recently, (without success), until I learned that the Cru-Wear release was imminent.)

I'm planning on picking up a full Ti version in the near future out of a combination of curiosity and to see how they compare to one another outside of the obvious weight differential. (If I don't care for it, I'm sure I'd find a home for it via the exchange.)

During a phone conversation with John Demko recently, I asked him his preference between "slotted" and plain blades as I was concerned about possible stress risers and such. He said he personally carries the slotted version, (as depicted in his video explaining disassembly / reassembly), and I noticed that Andrew also carries the slotted style. It's just personal preference, but their trust in its integrity is good enough evidence for me not to be concerned. Either one would be excellent.

Not mine, but this is an image of an O.D. Green from the recent Cru-Wear run at DLT:

demko-ad20-5090__54606.1615853035.jpg

Sorry for the naive question, new to Demko: how do you guys know in advance that new batches are coming, for example the DLT Cruwear release ?

Thanks !

You can sign up for alerts at DLT and other dealers that carry their line. Sometimes, word gets out that a new batch is under way but that's catch as catch can afaik.

Crappy pic, but at least worth it for a size comparison next to a Hinderer XM-24.

The Demko weighs exactly the same as the old ZT 0550, the original Hinderer model they produced.

demko hinderer.jpg

The problem is, even with those alerts, they sell out in hours ive never seen anything sell so fast.Even on the exchange they dont last long.

The problem is, even with those alerts, they sell out in hours ive never seen anything sell so fast.Even on the exchange they dont last long.

I think these were all gone in under ten minutes at DLT Trading. The "Shark" lock is appropriately named under the circumstances. One is lucky to still have their fingers. :p

...and in charge

(At least some of the time...)

I'd like to hold out for a tool steel in the full Ti version. 20cv is a fine steel, I'd just prefer something a bit more robust in this particular knife. Not sure the issue of toughness would ever arise , but I have my heart set on 3v somewhere down the road when they reappear. I think there are going to be a handful of other steel runs coming on the scene before then, however.

Back