Demko AD20: Share Your Images and Experience

Blues

Only Taken Out of the Box for Photos
Staff member
Super Mod
I was finally able to score one in the aftermarket. I plan to beat on it and will also post picts.

Congrats. I saw that one was available in the exchange yesterday.

ferider

Gold Member
You can sign up for alerts at DLT and other dealers that carry their line. Sometimes, word gets out that a new batch is under way but that's catch as catch can afaik.

Here is a funny one, Blues: when the KC 20CV version was released (2 weeks ago?), I logged in to order one. Took me ~5min or so, and when I finally pushed the order button, I was told that they had less inventory than the 1 knife I ordered. Today I get an email that it was shipped. Feels like Christmas :)

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
Here is a funny one, Blues: a couple of weeks ago, when the KC 20CV version was released, I went in to order one. Took me ~5min or so, and when I finally pushed the order button, no order confirmation and I was told that they had less inventory than the 1 knife I ordered. Today I get an email that it was shipped. Feels like Christmas :)

Excellent.

I actually know something about that. I had a question the other day and contacted John Demko. Apparently KC had oversold the knives...website glitch or some such, and John was working on getting the remainder to KC the day I spoke with him...to cover their faux pas.

Too bad I don't have the kind of relationship with him where I can just ask him to send me a knife or three. Such are the burdens we carry. :p

ferider

Gold Member
And it arrived. I'm amazed by the design, very refreshing and minimalist. Steel only where it needs to be, lock functions as back spacer in parallel, fat pivot .... Also love that the blade is sterile. These Demko brothers must be some cool dudes ....

i-DbdDxjw-X4.jpg

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
Minimalist indeed. Everything you need...nothing you don't. Congrats, Roland.

For those who haven't seen it, this video by John Demko shows how simple it is to take apart and service...and how the lock works.

unwisefool

Gold Member
I need to get one if they ever come back in stock. How is the grivory compared to g10?

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
I need to get one if they ever come back in stock. How is the grivory compared to g10?

I may be wrong, as I don't have one, but I think it's closer to FRN or similar plastic product. (John Demko compared it to the grip on a Glock.)

jstn

Gold Member
I'm not sure I could pay that much for a knife with grivory. I why the switch from G10? I feel like grivory is less durable over time, but maybe I am mistaken?

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
I'm not sure I could pay that much for a knife with grivory. I why the switch from G10? I feel like grivory is less durable over time, but maybe I am mistaken?

They didn't switch from G-10. They are offering some of the knives with grivory at a reduced price relative to the ones with G-10 and titanium. The grivory handled ones were, (if I recall correctly), $350, the G-10 $425 and titanium handled $625.

John Demko feels that the grivory are plenty tough, but since they are formed in advance to the specs of the knife and don't require machining on his part, he saves time and effort which is passed along to the customer.

Choices...it's a good thing for those who want options.

jstn

Gold Member
They didn't switch from G-10. They are offering some of the knives with grivory at a reduced price relative to the ones with G-10 and titanium. The grivory handled ones were, (if I recall correctly), $350, the G-10 $425 and titanium handled $625.

John Demko feels that the grivory are plenty tough, but since they are formed in advance to the specs of the knife and don't require machining on his part, he saves time and effort which is passed along to the customer.

Choices...it's a good thing for those who want options.

I wasn't aware of the price reduction, or that it was just another option instead of a replacement. I will certainly be getting an AD20 when the opportunity arises. I confused Grivory with zytel; however, grivory seems to be much better stuff. I'll likely still be on the hunt for G10, but I may be just as happy with grivory. One thing's for sure, Demko has another winner on his hands. I've had full custom AD10s and AD15s and I didn't really think he could come up with anything better, but he may have done just that!

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
The grivory handled knives have a smoothed out portion on each scale corresponding to where the clip would be placed. (For less abrasion upon pocketing or removal.) Some may find the look distracting...or not.

tomsch

Gold Member
I appreciate the smoothed out section on the grivory as it really does help to not chew up my pocket. The clip retention is really perfect so my AD20 does stay put.

ferider

Gold Member
Grivory is made by a Swiss company, EMS-GRIVORY. There are different compounds, that are mixes of Poly-amides (Nylon being one) with Glass, CF, or minerals. Very similar to Spydercos FRN or Glock frames. Very hard to break (I did once with a spare Spyderco scale), and a little more elastic than G10, which is a good thing. Appreciate Demko giving us some savings back with a lower sale price compared to the G10 version.

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
I wonder if there will be an AD20 with MagnaCut?

I believe Andrew Demko was mentioned as one of the makers that was provided some of the steel during the testing phase. What he may or may not have done with it, I don't know.

Blues

Staff member
Super Mod
Native XF ad, Below bottom BC