Discovery Channel has fired Cody Lundin

I never actually watched the seasons with joe or whatever his name is in it. Cos his intro made him sound like a complete douche

I think it was long over due. I was never sure the guy could have survived his way out of a wet paper bag. Dave on the other hand would live like a king forever darn near any place you put him. I still watch his YouTube stuff from time to time and it pretty much covers everything. I think if they gave Dave his own show it would be a pretty big hit. I'd watch survivor man and Bear again too. At least you could learn something from time to time watching those shows and they had different point of views on how to survive. Cody pretty much just acted more like a girl that most girls do. He depended on Dave to get him out of whatever they got into.

IMHO I think you're wrong about Cody's level of skill. Also did we watch the same show when Dave and Cody were on? It was entertainment. No one really depended on anyone. On a side note I also like Les but think Bear is a clown.

Hippie with no shoes, and a dude with an embellished military past..... Joe Teti very well could of been the only real thing about this show.... farewell hippie.

Preferred Lundin and Canterbury. Dave came clean and apologized about the credentials issue. The show is about outdoor survival not about who's the better Spec Ops death Ninja. In hindsight i wonder how much of that credential problem was at least influenced by Discovery producers wanting to push the idea of Dave as the ultimate military Rambo. Discovery has been declining in quality of late, sadly i think "Dude, You're Screwed" is the new template for their lower quality survival oriented programming. I can't believe that quitter guy from Top Shots is one of that shows survival "experts".

I think it was long over due. I was never sure the guy could have survived his way out of a wet paper bag. Dave on the other hand would live like a king forever darn near any place you put him. I still watch his YouTube stuff from time to time and it pretty much covers everything. I think if they gave Dave his own show it would be a pretty big hit. I'd watch survivor man and Bear again too. At least you could learn something from time to time watching those shows and they had different point of views on how to survive. Cody pretty much just acted more like a girl that most girls do. He depended on Dave to get him out of whatever they got into.

That's funny because I always thought Dave would be the first to die. The idea of NOT doing anything doesn't occur to the hard charging types and IMO that's what gets people INTO survival situations half the time. The bee thing was a prime example. It could have been a gimmick thought up by producers but I just don't think Canterbury can act a lick. Certainly not well enough to give that performance. I think that was all his idea. Of course I wouldn't put it past the producers to encourage that idiocy.

It still amazes me how many people are fixated on the "hippy" aspect of Lundin. Dress him up in BDU's, give him a crew cut and some boots and I bet dollars to doughnuts all of that animosity falls away and, heaven forbid, a little respect may develope for someone who has been teaching and walking the walk as long as Lundin. It certainly won't if you discount everything he has to say before he even opens his mouth. A person's preconceived notion based on how a preson looks will never cease to amaze and depress me. You miss out on a lot of good people that way.

It still amazes me how many people are fixated on the "hippy" aspect of Lundin. Dress him up in BDU's, give him a crew cut and some boots and I bet dollars to doughnuts all of that animosity falls away and, heaven forbid, a little respect may develope for someone who has been teaching and walking the walk as long as Lundin. It certainly won't if you discount everything he has to say before he even opens his mouth. A person's preconceived notion based on how a preson looks will never cease to amaze and depress me. You miss out on a lot of good people that way.
:thumbup:

I'm sure Cody is also smart enough to give Discovery a way out on this, even if it means he looses some face. Why burn bridges when there maybe more opportunities later down the road? Reality TV is a weird world, and the politics behind the scenes makes it a real "who you know" game. When things are on tight budgets and even tighter timelines, people go with who they know, and who they trust. Sure that guy might not be the bestest of the bestest expert, but if the best and baddest can't show things to a camera, can't communicate an idea, or even just show up on time, it can make a huge difference. Plus he isn't just dealing with Discovery, but also any production companies that may also be involved. The guy has to eat, so its fair that he would work to protect his lively-hood, even if it seems a bit weird at the moment. As for Dave's antics, that's the character that the producer and he want to play. At the end of the day, he has to agree to do it, but if he wants to pretend the be the biggest and baddest dude around, well, he can pay that cost, and serve as a warning to others.

We've all heard the expression "those who can, do, and those who can't, teach" and often its true, but I've met piles of people who claim they can, but few of them could also teach. Its why I'll watch Ray Mears all day, and Bear drives me nuts. One guy wants to share what he knows, wants you to see the world through his eyes, and one wants you to see him. I want to learn instead of being just entertained. One can argue all day which is the more competent at his survival skills, or which one can handle the wider variety of situations. I don't much care.

Ahhh. Thats why he looked so familiar.

I noticed that too. There appears to be people like this who manage to get in these different shows. There's a NZ woman who I saw in the "I, Caveman" episode that also appeared in a "Naked and Afraid" episode (Manu Toigo is her name, I think).

Jeremiah Johnson and Cody Lundin... they should do a show. ;)

I was impressed/surprised that Mors Kochanski included one of Cody Lundin's books (98.6 degrees) as one of his favorites for "survival" - says a lot. If you have no idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEih2Rm3IDQ

Perhaps Cody will get back to teaching survival techniques instead of sensationalizing them. The 'wow' or 'shock' factor made the show more interesting for a lot of watchers but really seemed to detract from the message that Cody seemed to want to convey.

Lundin was a master primative fire starter. I'll give him that.

That seems true. Clearly the guy has a put a lot of study and practice into it, and those parts where he's actually building fires and shelters are among the most truly helpful bits of the whole show (but as we said, not the most exciting).

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind hanging out with any of those guys for a weekend - Les, Cody, Dave, Joe or even Bear. With no cameras or producers, of course. I wouldn't pay $$$ for the privilege, but I'm sure it would be fun and interesting.

Cody pretty much just acted more like a girl that most girls do. He depended on Dave to get him out of whatever they got into.

It's odd how we can watch the same show and see it almost completely differently... it looked to me like Dave/Joe spent a lot of time making things much more difficult than they really were, and Cody would just roll his eyes. I got over the whole hard-chargin' Rambo thing when I was about 15... and I'm way too old and lazy for that stuff now.

If "acting like a girl" means avoiding danger and injury whenever possible, heck yeah, I'll "act like a girl" every time.

I'll be wearing sensible shoes, though. :D

Last edited:
That seems true. Clearly the guy has a put a lot of study and practice into it, and those parts where he's actually building fires and shelters are among the most truly helpful bits of the whole show (but as we said, not the most exciting).

In all honesty, I wouldn't mind hanging out with any of those guys for a weekend - Les, Cody, Dave, Joe or even Bear. With no cameras or producers, of course. I wouldn't pay $$$ for the privilege, but I'm sure it would be fun and interesting.

It's odd how we can watch the same show and see it almost completely differently... it looked to me like Dave/Joe spent a lot of time making things much more difficult than they really were, and Cody would just roll his eyes. I got over the whole hard-chargin' Rambo thing when I was about 15... and I'm way too old and lazy for that stuff now.

If "acting like a girl" means avoiding danger and injury whenever possible, heck yeah, I'll "act like a girl" every time.

I'll be wearing sensible shoes, though.
:D

Truly quote-worthy!:thumbup:

Same as the last show Mike Hawke did then, or did his wife serve any purpose other than to show her "Tetis" ? :D

Myke Hawke, Joe Teti and Joe's brother Fred are starting a new show called Myke Hawke and Two Tetis. I can't wait.

smileylaughing021.gif
beerchuge.gif

Give the people what they want!!

Back