DIY Basic Backpack-able .22 rifle

I got back into another one of my interests, shooting and reloading.
So I have been frequenting those forums. AR15.com actually has an Outdoor section, with hunting, fishing, and Survival!

Many threads on "best survival rifle" , and it runs the gamut from basic .22lr to an AK47, but, keep in mind it is a gun forum.

I stumbled on a thread about "backpackable" rifles, and there it was!! :eek:

This guy took an old single shot bolt action .22lr and made himself a brilliant little lightweight, take down, survival .22
I am impressed by his out-of-the-box thinking. And now I have the "itch" to build one of these. ;)

Link to thread, below, scroll down 2/3rds , on first page, and you will see it, in two large picture, next to a Charter Arms/Henry Survival 22. The compactness is what's so impressive to me.

I am pretty sure you can view these threads without being a member.
(I hope so, or this is a dumb thread.)

DIY Bolt action Survival 22 rifle

Let me know if you can see it (or not).

Now that is a good idea! I really like that little bugger. Here's the pics...
survivalguns002.jpg

survivalguns003.jpg

Taking down one of those Davy Cricket rifles this way would be a neat idea, that way you could save some weight and size on the barrel.

Interesting stuff, shame about the state of my country.

Once upon a time I had a casual interest in the Brocock Fox. Different league, but none the less I'm certain I could take small feather and fur and modest ranges even though it is an air rifle. It was certainly easy enough using my Weirauchs. The idea fell flat for me because although the idea was good ammunition failed at the thing I think that makes a good air rifle great for small game - abundance of simple, small, light ammo and low noise. I still think the concept is good though if one used it strictly. They are now banned here:

2008-11-08_143501954.jpg

http://airgunner.org/?p=71

That defatted single shot reminds me of the gun used in the movie, "The Day of the Jackal".

w2f4lh.jpg

Only pic I could find. ISTR it was made so that it could be broken down and concealed within the tubing of a crutch.

Another pic.
119ryqb.jpg

Youtube.

All this aside, I think a break down rifle that doesn't disable the firing capability when broken down may present some legal difficulties. However, IANAL.

Last edited:
In the book, the Jackal (assassin) disguises a single shot rifle as a crutch and poses as a disabled war veteran to get through security.

Brocock was an amazing airgun system. Unfortunately banned in the UK.

You could also mod a Crosman 1377 into a break-down 1322.

That defatted single shot reminds me of the gun used in the movie, "The Day of the Jackal".

w2f4lh.jpg

Only pic I could find. ISTR it was made so that it could be broken down and concealed within the tubing of a crutch.

Another pic.
119ryqb.jpg

Youtube.

All this aside, I think a break down rifle that doesn't disable the firing capability when broken down may present some legal difficulties. However, IANAL.

Thats one of my favorite movies! The book is good too!
:thumbup:

Avoid the Bruce Willis remake though, total excrement.
:thumbdn:

Wasn't there supposedly a rare bolt-action version of the Ar-7 as well?
Or at least armalite did design one, maybe it never went into production.

Something along the lines of a Stevens 15 series single shot would be perfect for a project. Should be plenty of them stashed in closets.

Wasn't there supposedly a rare bolt-action version of the Ar-7 as well?
Or at least armalite did design one, maybe it never went into production.

Pretty sure it was called the AR-5. It was chambered for 22 hornet though.

What model cooey is that? If anyone knows. I can't seem to find out. Waitin on the DIY part.
-R

Last edited:
Thats actually stunning how small it is. You could stick that thing in a pack anywhere and have hundreds of rounds around with little to no extra weight. I had a small leather pouch I carried on my belt back east with about 50 or 60 rounds in it while I was out hunting. It would be nothing to carry 1000 rounds of .22 with little repercussions.

And Skunk, what have been up too man? haven't seen ya in a long ol' time.

Another good one to look at is the now discontinued Taurus Model 62. 12 round pump .22.

I am expecting the UK to turn around and come to it's senses any day now. Idiocy only has so much staying power.

I new I saw that rifle before and it was Day of the "Jackal". I wonder how much harder it would be to do for a .223. Maybe start with a one of those NEF single shots?

The AR-5 was submitted to replace the M-6 (.22 Hornet/.410). H&R wound up with the contract for the M4 (six shot .22 Hornet bolt action, 14" barrel). It had a wire stock that could be pushed forward. They still show up from time to time for sale. BTW, the 5XX series Remington action can be converted to .22 Hornet. Also, any rifle must meet the 16" barrel and 26.5" minimum oal (in the US without the $200 NFA tax).

Last edited:
I am expecting the UK to turn around and come to it's senses any day now. Idiocy only has so much staying power.

I new I saw that rifle before and it was Day of the "Jackal". I wonder how much harder it would be to do for a .223. Maybe start with a one of those NEF single shots?
I hope you're right...but I have a lot more faith in the staying power of idiocy than the triumph of inteligence.

That stripped Cooey is amazing. I wonder if the maker posted instructions or at least his steps anywhere...

It wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate: cutting the basic outline and perhaps a little machining for the aluminum block to mate with the barreled action and drilling and tapping a hole for the "stock".

Just remember that in some states if you run around with the butt screwed off, it could be considered a handgun. YMMV (it would be a considered handgun in Michigan because it is able to fire without the butt, and it's overall length would be too short).

Back