Do you guys use your most expensive knives?

This is my most expensive blade. Gets used HARD.

honda_candid.jpg

But joking aside, I have a few less expensive knives that I really like that I carry if I anticipate needing to do stuff that may scrape up or damage the knife. I like knives that are good but expendable. My more expensive knives are not as practical or utilitarian. I use them, but not so much as a tool; more as something i like to carry and can use for lite cutting tasks.

Knifes like guns are tools and I don't buy cheap tools it doesn't pay. I carry a $600 Neon folder and a Bradford Guardian 3 every day . I use the one most suited for the task at hand. I don't have a lot of knives as I try to buy the best knife I can afford. I believe in the cry once theory.

all my knives are users they get used to fill my empty safe ;) but joking aside I do use all to varying degrees, a sliding scale so to speak, expensive get less use and cheaper get more use

I use only some of my knives, period. Because I've just got too many and a few is all I need to use. Yes, I know no use to have it and not use it. But, I enjoy owning a lot of different models and if I bought everything to use, I simply wouldn't buy over 10 or so.

When I first get a knife regardless of its price I will simply handle it and not carry or use it at all until I have decided that I want to keep and not sell it. Then I use it–not hard or softly–but in an appropriate manner.

Yes, I do. I bought them for myself to use. If I won't use them who will? They'll end up getting passed to my kids when I die and they will probably pawn them off for a fraction of a fraction of their cost.
That's about the size of it.... they pawn things like that because they simply don't know or care about the value. Same thing with firearms. Quick buck.

So, I agree with this post and perspective, and believe this is the way it should be with knives. But my reality is that many do not get used... expensive or cheap.

I don't buy things I can't or refuse to use. Not much of a "collector" in that "mint, NIB" kinda way.

I carry and use my CRK's at $400 and up. But there are a few that are meant to be admired for their beauty of form and supreme togetherness...all in one package...like my ZT0801BRZ, which I just now listed with hesitation. It's lovely and I'd never use it. Museum quality.

I will be perhaps the first in this thread to say that I definitely have expensive knifes that I DO NOT really use. Well, at least certainly not hard... maybe open an envelop or carry on a special occasion.

But, to be fair I think the term "expensive" is a bit subjective. For me an expensive folding knife would be over at least $500, those sorts of knifes I collect. Knives below that price point tend to be what I carry and use. So, for example I carry and use my hinderer's, & CRK's, but my Lambert, RJ Martin, Shiros, Thorburns, etc. etc do not see daily carry or any sort of hard use.

I use all mine. The most valuable one I have though is some FRN Spydercos, a Stretch, an Endura, and 2 Delicas. I've paid $50 or less each and all were used. I have that mental disorder where if it's new I try not to use it. I buy them slightly imperfect so that first scratch or scuff removes that hesitation. I cut a Greasy 1/4" thick boot off of my drive shaft with my Endura. Didn't give it a second thought since it was the knife I had on me and that thing needed cut! I doubt I would have used a Sebenza or similar price knife to hack on my truck though.

Other than those that have no practical use, like reproductions of medieval daggers, I carry and use all of my knives. This means that once in a while I'll damage or risk losing an expensive knife, I've made peace with that.

A few weeks ago I lost a Sebenza. I felt like crap, it will take me months to manage to import another one into my country, but I got years of enjoyment out of it.

I try to be careful with my tools in general but I rarely buy something that I'm afraid to put some wear on.

No. The more expensive ones are large and fixed and have limited usefulness in an urban environment.

My knives are nothing compared to some folks on here but I have some $400+ knives that I use regularly and all have signs of being loved. IMO if your not going to use it why bother owning it. Even if its a duplicate of a knife you own or something just for "collection" sake. You should still use it. Its a tool, lots of us forget that.

I've owned a lot of knives over the years and pretty much carry one daily. I'm a User.

But I'm also a Collector. Of usually rare and sometimes expensive knives.
Many I bought to just appreciate them in their new/mint condition. Like some folks collect coins.
They were acquired solely for the purpose of adding them to a collection.
It's a thing called a "Hobby".
Carrying the analogy further, coins were made to circulate and spend, as in *use*.
But they're also fun for some to just collect. The challenge/time spent on the hunt for many is a past time.
With coins, knives, and whatever else folks like to collect.
Interacting with other like minded knife folks has lead to numerous and long standing friendships over the years.

And though they weren't acquired with profit in mind, many that were later sold provided just that. A win/win...

I use my high end knives more than my cheap knives. I use them for EDC, and I use my cheap knives to open packages.

Nothing wrong with being a collector! Though in my case I have a big collection of Spydercos + a handful of more expensive knives that I edc. Since the Spyderco collection is of cheaper knives that are abundantly available, I don't feel bad about using them and regularly go through them to pull one out for the "edc rotation." There are so many Spydercos that they don't get a ton of use on an individual basis but they do get used.

Back