Do you guys use your most expensive knives?

The first thing I did when my sebenza came was open a beer bottle with it. I did so to purposefully mark it up so I wouldn't mind using it...

"Expensive" is a relative term based on individual personal income. When your disposable income goes up, you become less worried about using higher costing knives.

Reactions: Mo2
Knives like the PM2 and Manix2 might be the most expensive knife you own, but know that they were designed to be used as a cutting tool that is much more capable than a box cutter. You should feel comfortable knowing that when you start using them for more than opening packages they will serve you well.

Not sure I'd buy a knife I'm not planning to use. This is currently my most expensive knife and a beast of a cutting tool (and $400 bottle opener)...

34368766265_e6e7bda526_b.jpg

Last edited:
"Expensive" is a relative term based on individual personal income. When your disposable income goes up, you become less worried about using higher costing knives.

Your post is useless.....the title specifically asks about expensive knives, relation to personal income is already assumed, and therefore not even a variable...obviously.

To answer the thread, I use my most expensive knife as much as I can. However, I don't like seeing things gunked up, so I keep it as clean and sharp as possible.

Be sure to write down the names of those who said in this thread that they use ALL their knives so that when they sell knives listed as NIB, you know it is not true.

BTW, nothing wrong with using your knives. After all, that is primarily what they are for.

I use almost all of my knives. I use some more than others, not so much based on price but on how well I think they can handle the task. For instance, I have a Cold Steel G.I. Tanto that cost about $30 and an ESEE 5 that cost about $250. Both knives I bought to be used in cases where I needed something sharp and tough for a hard task where an ax wasn't more practical to use. If anything I tend to baby the Cold Steel more since the blade has more bend to it. :p
I do have a couple knives tucked away that I probably won't use. Nicer versions of knives I already bought, used, and liked. I intended to keep them more as a keepsake, but would probably take them out and use them if the other version got lost or broken and I really wanted to use it that day.

If you're more worried about getting over that initial hesitation of using something new that cost a little more than usual just do like others have and intentionally give it a ding or scratch. It'll help. :)

I paid $600 (no sheath) to have this built. It gets so much use that the original etch has long been faded/worn off.

I'm not much of a collector, I just buy knives and put them all in a drawer and pick one out that I like to carry for the day, so I use all my knives. When a new one arrives it does take a while before I start using it though. I usually just look and play with them for a bit before getting used (even cheap ones).

Yes, had a recently acquired Shirogorov in my pocket when I read this post.
But I can also understand not using one.
If you purchase a higher end knife at whatever level that is, because you collect or display them, or for an investment, then understandably reasonable and acceptable not to use them. However, purchasing a higher end knife for its higher quality, better materials, and so on and not utilizing those high end attributes because they cost more is just a waste of your money.

What if you carry two knives and one you use for everyday needs , the other you don't use, but hold in reserve in case of a life threatening emergency? I commonly do just that. In fact while hiking I always have a pocket clipped knife for use and a totally badass knife in a belt pouch, just in case. I feel I'm still getting use out of the generally more expensive belt carried knife, even if it's just I have it available.

I have narrowed my collection down over time to a very few, high-end knives. Either the Oeser in my profile pic or a Kawamura cattle knife is with me at all times and I use them almost every day.

However, there are definitely some things I do not use these knives for, that I wouldn't hesitate to do with a less expensive knife. Cutting food on a ceramic plate and cutting through abrasive materials, mainly. If I know I'll be doing that sort of thing I'll bring a Sebenza and or a fixed blade. I don't carry a knife for emergency preparedness, I carry one because I'm enamored by the craftsmanship and history behind them, and because they are a useful tool.

Also, it's not so much the expense itself that affects my decision (as you might have inferred from the fact that a CRK is my backup) but rather the difficulty in repairing or replacing the knife. If I lose my Oeser in the river trying to free a tangled fishing line, I'll never get a knife like that again. If I ruin the hand-sanded finish on my Kawamura it means an expensive and long trip to Japan.

I have a knife handed down from my grandfather that is not worth much money but is my least carried knife because it is entirely irreplaceable. I do use it sometimes though!

And please don't take this post as pretentious, I am not a rich man by any definition, I'm just a knife nut who's chosen to concentrate my entire budget over a decade of collecting on a select few pieces.

I don't hav any really expensive ones but they all get used or they get sold.

I'm not much of a collector, I just buy knives and put them all in a drawer and pick one out that I like to carry for the day, so I use all my knives. When a new one arrives it does take a while before I start using it though. I usually just look and play with them for a bit before getting used (even cheap ones).

I basically do this. I have a couple nicer knives that I carry on suit days, and a selection of nice-but-mostly-utilitarian knives that I carry the rest of the time.

I will use whichever I am carrying, but the cheaper it is, the more comfortable I am in using it for harder work. I might cut up some carpet with a Delica, for example, but if I was carrying my LionSteel TRE, I would probably look for a more appropriate cutting tool rather than just use what was in my pocket.

Another line would be aesthetic appearance. I'd use and carry a Sebenza, but if it had a Damascus blade and nice wood inlays, I'd be gentle with the tasks I used it for than I would be if it was a plain Ti/S35VN Seb.

I am a combination of collector and user. I have a range of knives in my edc rotation, including a ZT0600 and ZT0392BLKGRN. My 0606CF and 0606BLK are currently safe Queens. Something that has helped me lately is that I have been buying more and more users, so I don't hesitate to use them myself.

The most expensive knife I own going by what they sell for new would be my Spyderco Domino($200). I got that in a trade, so I have absolutely no probably using it like I do every other knife(still wouldn't open a beer with it haha). I literally just used it to partially cut out a quarter inch long splinter out of my ring finger.

The first good knife I bought was a PM2 and for a month or two I babied it so much I would make the effort to run upstairs to grab a different knife just to cut up some cardboard, haha. I'd be hesitant on using any $500+ custom for daily chores myself, though.

Last edited:
Back