Do you guys use your most expensive knives?

Design, ergonomics, weight, size, steel and personal preferences determines the knives I use. Most expensive does not.

My wife has "acquired" my most expensive knife, so it's no longer mine to use...

(And good for her! Always happy for her to have a good knife!)

If I could trade 10-12 of the Case knives I bought and don't use for a plain jane Sebenza 21...I absolutely would and it would get used a whole lot more. I don't have a knife that expensive right now though. But sometimes I do carry a semi expensive custom 110, a Spyderco Native 5, and a GEC at the same time...so collectively it's almost (ALMOST) the same in terms of value and I never really think twice about it. I keep telling myself that one of these days I'm gonna get that Sebenza and I'll definitely be using it....

I buy knives to use, period. But if one or two get rare and prices start to get unrealistically high—even for users—I tend to stop using it, as it has become an “investment”

I use all my knives, no safe queens. I have been carrying a CRK daily for a few months now, and I don’t baby them.

I use all mine, but I've kept the price to within $200. Still, that's a lot for me. I own firearms that cost more and I take them hunting and I drive my truck, that cost much more, in the mud and haul horses and carry all sorts of cargo and don't blink at those uses. So why not cut up a melon or break open a bale of hay or process game or whittle with an expensive knife? It's not abuse or misuse. It's not like you're carving into rocks with it.

Zieg

Yeah, this. I find the concept of safe queens deplorable. Worthless. I use what I buy and only buy what I'll use.

Yeah, this. I find the concept of safe queens deplorable. Worthless. I use what I buy and only buy what I'll use.
I only now buy what I "might use". Some get used and some do not. Have too many to use and I see no point in using a knife just for the sake of using it. The picture of the elephant ivory Madison Barlow a few posts back is an example of one that I bought on a whim. I also bought one with jigged bone scales and that is the one I would use. Eventually I'll probably sell the elephant ivory version, but the price tag will be HIGH and won't take less than 4 figures for it (that's with three zero's fyi). That probably means I will be owning this one for a long time.

Edited the 3 to a 4 which is what I intended even though this post has been quoted below.

Last edited:
Barely, but that's because they all lock and I'm in the UK.
It’s a pain in the arse, isn’t it?

I do a lot of outdoors stuff, so that is when I am happy taking locking/fixed blade knives. However, the Spyderco UKPK and the Manley Wasp are two excellent little knives, <3” and non-locking. Anyway, hello from the SE of England. :)

I stopped buy super expensive blades because it was hard to carry them - in fear of decreasing the value. Now if I buy or trade for it - I try to pocket it that day!!

My most expensive ones costs 550 + dollars each. Gets used as much as I can. Dinged one up the other day against a small stone I didn’t see. My only consern was getting time to take out the edge pro..

I collect them because they give me joy, whick they can only do by being used. they won’t do me any good in a drawer :)

My utility knife is a Benchmade Griptilian or a ZT566. My customs, PT and MT autos are pristine. They get handled and admired at home and that's about it. If they were in "user" condition it would be a different story. I really have little use for an EDC, but I do carry when I feel it necessary.

I only now buy what I "might use". Some get used and some do not. Have too many to use and I see no point in using a knife just for the sake of using it. The picture of the elephant ivory Madison Barlow a few posts back is an example of one that I bought on a whim. I also bought one with jigged bone scales and that is the one I would use. Eventually I'll probably sell the elephant ivory version, but the price tag will be HIGH and won't take less than 3 figures for it (that's with three zero's fyi). That probably means I will be owning this one for a long time.

??
Not trying to be the literary police here, but I'm a tad confused by that. You do realize that means you wouldn't take less than $000 for it?
Did you mean 4 figures? As in over $1000?

Sorry. slip of the figure number. Yes, four figures. No idea what they might be valued at and I am not looking to sell for years.

Last edited:
All of my knives are users. Some are to be used for special occasions. My most expensive blade right now is $800, a Neill Schutte dagger, and I'd use it in a heartbeat.

As it is I walk out the door every day with 2 to 3 folders having a value averaging $250+ ea.

Not all but most. I'd say the most expensive ones I use are my Reate Valhalla, ZT 0393 and Modded PM2.

Yep, use 'em all. Sometimes I baby them at first, but once I settle in with a knife for a few weeks it gets easier and easier to use it as a tool.

I have found that there's a price point -- a bit north of $300 -- where I sometimes get antsy about using a knife. I've sold off my couple forays into that price range pretty quickly as a result.

Back