2. Bali
  3. Automatics - OTF or otherwise
  4. Assisted
  5. Plastic-y handle or scale materials
  6. Pocket clips that advertise the fact that I am carrying a knife
  7. Too much info on the blade
  8. Rebranded knives
  9. Knives that don't have a good handle to blade ratio
  10. Knives that don't have a reason to exist - i.e, there is nothing new.

I guess I will get flamed very badly for this, but my kukri gets sharpened with a 10 inch fine cut mill bastard file. Just as Royal Army regulations specify.
Sharpening a khukuri with a file is pretty traditional actually and a great way to get a quick working edge. Cleaning it up on a riverstone/ceramic rod/strop afterwards helps a lot though as if you leave a burr from the file it is gunna rip off and take the apex with it as soon as you chop wood.

1. Any knife made in China ( Taiwan ok)
2. Any knife style that looks more like a weapon than a tool.
3. Blade length of 3.5 inches
4. Cost if $100 - $125
5. Slipjoint design

For me, it’s absolutely without a doubt “lock stick” at the top. A knife should never leave a factory with ANY lock stick if I had it my way. I have tried Emerson knives a time or three and the ridiculous lock stick drove me nuts.

Also: Rough G10, like on Cold Steel knives or the Spyderco siren... the sort of stuff that’ll chew up your pants.
Lastly, proprietary hardware that requires special manufacturer tools to adjust/disassemble... I’m looking at you, Hinderer, Microtech.

1. Any knife made in China ( Taiwan ok)
2. Any knife style that looks more like a weapon than a tool.
3. Blade length of 3.5 inches
4. Cost if $100 - $125
5. Slipjoint design
So any blade length except 3.5" is ok what do you have agianst 3.5"? Why as long as it is less than $100 and more then $125 it is good are knives in the $100-$125 that bad?

I'll step in here..
Serrations.
More than 200$
Less than 3.25 inch blade.
Slick handle material. I prefer wood, g10 etc..
I require a tip up reversable pocket clip.
I also require the steel to match the price.

Made in China.
Thumb studs.
Pocket clips.
Liner locks.
Serrations.
More than $200.

Most irksome:

- steel that cannot be sharpened to a good edge
- knives that cannot be opened easily with one hand
- uncomfortable handles
- uneven grinds

As simple as it is, do you have any dealbreakers when it comes to buying a knife, and what are they?
Examples:
"No full tang"
"Double edge blade"
"Non stainless steel"
"Scandi grind"

For me it is:
1. No guard or finger choil
2. Mystery steels, especially "Surgical stainless steel"
3. Anything 440 or 420...
4. Really thin blade

I personally don't think I'm too picky, but I might be wrong, I'll only know after I hear from you :D
Hi Smiling,

Well Sir, I have to take exception with No. (4) four. Thin blade knives are AWESOME! I think (hope) that the trend/fad of "Crow Bar" thick Knives has run it's course. This is not to say that (heavy) "thick" Knives don't have their place but, there is a reason why (for instance) Opinel Knives are so popular. Heck, even today after nearly two hundred years, the likes of (relatively) thin Knives such as Dexter Russell and Old Hickory Carbon Butcher Knives are still popular, so much so that "Old Hickory" somewhat recently shorten the O.A.L. of their (I believe) 7" Butcher Knife to produce a 5.5" Knife version called the "Hunter" (which includes a Leather Sheath) at a bargain price. I understand "Bushcrafter's" really like this Knife due to it's thin blade.

HARDBALL

Irreversible mods
Serrated blades
G10 unless you can find micarta for it
Used knives that are anyway close to new prices

If it’s not USA, German (Solingen), Italian (MKM), New Zealand, or Russian made I’m really not that interested.

Last edited:
1) overseas produced
2) tip down only
3) off center
4) partial serrations
5) super colorful
6) too thick or tall
7) overpriced on secondary
8) non locking
9) assisted
10) Strider

Last edited:
Large fixed:
1. Finger Choil - I will not buy such a waste of space.
2. Thin ground tip - It is a large fixed knife and not a delicate scalpel
3. Hollow ground blade - It is a large fixed knife and not a delicate slicer

Small fixed:
1. Finger Choil - I will not ever buy a even bigger waste of sharp real estate
2. Uncomfortable handle - I shall use the knife for a prolonged time - no hotspots - thank you

Folders:
1. Balisongs - not legal here (unfortunately)
2. Thumbstuds can be a dealbreaker if they are positioned wrong. (stuff gets snagged)
3. Uncomfortable handle - I shall use the knife for a prolonged time - no hotspots - thank you

General:

Knives are tools and I will buy a tool and not jewellery.
If the price outweighs the (felt)benefit, I won't buy it.

Disclaimer:
My tastes and needs will change overtime and so will this list above (except the finger choils - those are really not for me)

Back