1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Do you love knives, but have difficulty finding uses in your lifestyle?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ZDHart, Nov 16, 2019.

1. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Yep. I have 20+ lifetimes worth of knives and most are inexpensive. Just like my collection (accumulation?) of maybe 60 hammers and 24 firearms. But I'm not a true enthusiast/collector like Scotty Fulton, who has somewhere around 12,000+ hammers.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/scotty-and-karen-fultons-hammer-museum/

Does anyone know who has the largest knife collection and how many knives?

urbantrapper likes this.
  2. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    I'm in south Louisiana, so um...nope.

3. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I can live a life without carrying a knife. And that fact doesn't bother me.

4. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    I am a lucky one who gets to use his knives often and daily at work. I Am an electrician and my knives get used a lot. I carry a lefty Crk everyday and an Alox electrician in my right pocket. I keep it so if i need a sheepsfoot if I’m not carrying an insingo. That and I’ll Use the flat head for a pry bar. I get enjoyment out of using my knives. I don’t cut them any slack. They’re tools. Don’t abuse them but they get used with no hesitation. The edges hit metal, brick, concrete, etc., inadvertently. I will try to prevent it but if it happens it’s ok, just sharpen them back up. Normal use they’ll meet Sheetrock, zip ties, copper, wire insulation, tape, blister packs, pvc, scrape stickers off conduit, packages, cardboard and the list goes on. Now do I need all the Knives I own? Not at all. Around the farm and off of work my knives get used as well, Around the house not much at all. I have no safe queens. For me there’s no point In it. I completely understand it and get it for people who do. It’s just not my thing. I do have some wood inlays and Damascus that are casual carry’s. I also have plain handle Damascus that are workers. I’ll use my knives when a knife really isn’t needed, just as a reason to use it. I’m sure I’m not alone here on that :D

5. Sayoc01

Sayoc01

Nov 19, 2009
    JK,wondered where you were.....you are missed...when you go off yonder! I have a "lot"of knives.JK an others mention tbl.with aged hands...welcome to the club!I'm 76 & had many yrs.of M/A (fingers put in positions they were NOT meant for)!Also lifting weights..!HANDS CRAMP UP DAILY...now have 2 knives that are always with me a pocket watch S&M3blade warncliffe(for small stuff)!AND a David Boye pocketknife(for any cutting)I sharpen knives & the Boye keeps & edge like no other knife I have ever owned!
    JK ,it's light & easy to open...try one !
    Jim

6. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
    lol :D

ZDHart likes this.
  7. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
    I'm fortunate that with my outdoor job I have at least 2-3 periods of slack time everyday, so I grab a stick and start whittling, and am always looking for something that needs cut.
    I get almost as much enjoyment at home at night honing the edges back to as perfect as I can get them.

ZDHart likes this.
  8. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    The primary purpose of my knives is to bring me joy.

Whether it’s a fashion accessory, collection piece, fidget toy, preparedness item, cutting tool, or “just a man thing,” they fulfill that role very nicely.

9. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Says the guy with over 5,000 posts on a blade forum. :rolleyes:

:) Ray

10. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    What's your point? All I said is that my lifestyle doesn't require a pocket knife, just as is the case for most people. I carry one because I can, not because I have to. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

colin.p and Dcdavis like this.
  11. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    @Kaizen1 - No criticism intended - nothing wrong at all. In fact, I'm a bit envious of your detachment. I just found it a bit humorous that one who is obviously more into knives than the average bear, considering your involvement with BF, would be so casual about carrying a knife or not. I suspect you are a rare individual on Blade Forums. Pretty cool, really. Sorry if I came across as a wise guy.

Ray

wardcleaver and Kaizen1 like this.
  12. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Everybody has the right to change their mind!!

wardcleaver likes this.
  13. ZDHart

ZDHart

Feb 16, 2010
    Funny. I don't think anyone here thinks that there is anything wrong with carrying a knife just because you can. Many of us do just that.

My lifestyle doesn't "REQUIRE" a pocket knife either, and I don't use it quite regularly.

BUT, I carry one every day simply because occasions DO unexpectedly pop up where a use for it DOES occur. And the same can be said for the pocket light that I carry. And, possibly even (hopefully not) for the M&P40 Compact that I carry concealed.

So, even if a lifestyle doesn't "require" carrying a pocket knife, or a flashlight, or a pistol... occasions can and do occur when such items can be quite useful.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Dcdavis, wardcleaver and Lateck like this.
  14. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    Oh, what I'm getting at is about whether I need to, and it's pretty clear to me that I don't. I just really really like to.

RayseM likes this.
  15. Kaizen1

Jan 4, 2006
    We certainly have people on here like to remind others how they "really" use their knives rather than fidget with them. You'll see small comments that laugh at how a knife doesn't look like it's used, as if there's a hierarchy of activities that divide people who have knives for the right reasons from those who don't.

My point was given that I recognize my lifestyle doesn't require knives and I buy and carry them anyway, I'm okay with the idea that I don't rely on them more than I do. Sure, it would be nice to have a legitimate reason to beat the hell out of my INFI Ratmandu, but it's fine that I don't. I still get something from owning many of my knives anyway.

Dcdavis, ZDHart and cistercian like this.
  16. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I use my pocket flashlight constantly. And I use my knife at work a lot...boxes!
    And other things like plastic. Amazon mailers and various things get cut at home.
    I always have a knife in my pocket. So no to ops question.

17. jaseman

jaseman Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 28, 2016
    This is kinda where I’m at. I’ve always carried one, and while it might not get used daily, it gets used fairly regularly. I also don’t collect, so while I like a nice knife, I don’t have a bunch sitting around that never get used.

I don’t need to go looking for reasons to use a knife. I’m always working on something, doing house repairs, working in the yard, under the hood of a car, or just tinkering in general. Only time I’m sitting still is when I’m actually at work, and chained to a desk... LOL

Fixed, folder, doesn’t matter. I never have to stretch to find an actual need for a knife - the need usually finds me.

cbrstar, cistercian and ZDHart like this.
  18. ZDHart

ZDHart

Feb 16, 2010
    I, too, get enjoyment and benefit from knives that I've never even cut anything with! :eek: Yes, I know that many of us share that experience. I do have the opportunity from time to time to use a knife... I just would enjoy having MORE opportunities to do so.

I'm retired now, and happily so. But the thought flashed across my mind - I could go back to school and become an electrician - so I can use my knives many times a day? On second though - nah - I am enjoying my life too much just as it is. Even if that means that much of my knife pleasure involves merely fiddling with and honing my blades.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Quiet, Dcdavis, Kaizen1 and 2 others like this.
  19. cistercian

cistercian Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2015
    I should add that people collect many things. I have knives I just occasionally
    look at and carry super rarely. So what? I have my workhorse stuff and knives
    that are toys/jewelry. I will say I prefer Spyderco for working since they cut like mad
    and are easy to sharpen. All my spydies are well and correctly ground which makes
    sharpening a breeze with the Sharpmaker. I have a bench strop I use sometimes
    when I crave a darksider edge!

20. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I’ve been an outdoorsman my entire adult life. In my “serious” adult life I’ve grown to be a carpenter and builder. When I’m not building or upgrading folks abodes I’m usually out and about the trails. Life does not typically come to me pre packaged. That’s how I like it and using a nice knife to make it happen absolutely brings be joy whether I’m carving wood, preparing a charcuterie or cleaning my toenails.

cbach8tw and 4mer_FMF like this.