Do you use your GEC knives?

I guess my answer would depend on one’s definition of “use.”

Some I use to cut things with:

E530A504-6571-4B87-BE34-955A67078726.jpeg

And others I use to provide decoration on my desk and brighten my day. I’m an admirer of finely crafted tools, and I prefer this to more traditional decorative art.

2364FE60-E471-4FFD-95F4-E8B8833B5DA6.jpeg

F0FFB9B5-D67A-4AA8-98F4-D4C798C4BF27.jpeg

None of my knives live in tubes or boxes, but if others get their enjoyment from that it’s perfectly OK with me.

I use all my GEC knives. My bull nose lives on my belt all week long in a GEC sheath it cuts packing tape twine and packing straps all day every day. In my pocket is a bull moose everyday I have 5 different covers so I rotate a different one Monday thru Friday.on the weekends I love the pioneer trapper it lives on my belt in a GEC sheath that gets rotated thru different covers or a liner lock. In my pocket it’s usually a eureka jack which I had modded by @jsdistin with a blade delete and a EO notch.i am also fortunate enough to have 3 grandchildren that have a great desire to carry traditional pocket knives and use them also that being said sometimes trying to secure a pattern times 4 is very difficult. I can’t think of anything better than watching my grandkids clean a fish or skin a squirrel then clean the knife resharpen it oil it and put it back on their belt or pocket. My GEC are an investment to me but not of monetary value more an investment in bringing me closer to the next generation so the value is priceless

I have three GEC company knives, (2 folders & 1 fixed blade).
I have them simply as additions to my collecting hobby, not for carry/use. Also, my collection is not an investment, as I have no plans to sell anything within it. They are simply things I add into my collection because I like owning them. The only "use" they get is by being displayed as interesting objects found throughout my interior home decor, (all a part of my hobby). Not sure what will happen to them when I pass, but that's pretty much out of my control. Maybe my grown children will want to continue owning them, maybe not, but my collection of "interesting objects" will certainly be in prime mint condition for anyone that may want to use them, (in whatever manner they may deem them fit to be used for). I enjoy them in my own way, and that is my only concern. That being stated, to each his or her own, as I do not judge someone for how they may choose to use their funds and the items they may purchase with it. As long as the reasons are harmless to others, it's all good in my book. Those purchases, for whatever the end buyer's use is of them, helps in keeping people working and their trade afloat, (in this case, the traditional pocket & fixed blade knife trade) :)

Two of my three GEC made knives, (a Tidioute stag handled fixed blade, and a Tidioute ebony handled French Kate lady leg pocketknife), are found in this display shown below...

And the third is a Tidioute Toothpick with violet bone handle scales. It's housed in this glass/walnut Schatt & Morgan/Queen display case, (top lid is shown up to avoid glass glare when photo was taken)...

Last edited:
I only have 3 or 4 GEC knives that I bought 5 or 6 years ago and have actually only carried and used a couple. I think the ones I haven't used are probably worth more than what I paid so are they devalued by using them and if they are why use them? I usually carry a case knife and while the quality is hit or miss, the good ones are every bit as good as the GECs at 1/3 the cost.
I understand the devaluing aspect. But in general you're talking about nickels and dimes relative to living. Sure if you had a 100 older GEC's and sold them, you might be able to make a rent or house payment or perhaps two. But that is a lot of effort.

My tendency is to not use most of them. But my excuse is that I mostly carry a Vic SAK and the GEC is just additional pocket clutter. I however have started to carry a Rough Ryder Reserve knife that I just got along with the SAK because I want to get a better feel for the knife and it's quality relative to my use. The GEC's that I use tend to be jigged bone as I like them the most for carry when I do.

I like just about all the GEC's. The only one I can honestly say I didn't like is the sodbuster. Just didn't like the blade shape for day to day use.

I'm not a collector (I never own more than 5 or 6 pocket knives at a time), so everything is a user to me. I own one GEC, and the pic below was taken an hour after I pulled it out of the tube. I love it (it's kicked every other knife out of my pocket) but I'm loving it more as it gets a patina. Instead of a random and pristine beautiful object, it's becoming a beautiful object that tells a story - my story.
GECToothpickFIrstUse.jpg

-Tyson

I understand the devaluing aspect. But in general you're talking about nickels and dimes relative to living. Sure if you had a 100 older GEC's and sold them, you might be able to make a rent or house payment or perhaps two. But that is a lot of effort.

My tendency is to not use most of them. But my excuse is that I mostly carry a Vic SAK and the GEC is just additional pocket clutter. I however have started to carry a Rough Ryder Reserve knife that I just got along with the SAK because I want to get a better feel for the knife and it's quality relative to my use. The GEC's that I use tend to be jigged bone as I like them the most for carry when I do.

I like just about all the GEC's. The only one I can honestly say I didn't like is the sodbuster. Just didn't like the blade shape for day to day use.

100 older GECs!?
More like a couple years rent or a nice down payment on a house. :D

All users here. Almost nothint gets safe Queen status with me.

I've had a few Busse knoves I did not use, simply because I already had the size range covered by other well used Busse.

I have one ironwood whaler that is in the safe most times. But it has been used, sharpened and carried a bit also...I just happen to have another 46 that is used more.

I do the one I own, and would any others if I had them because a useful cutting tool is the intention of any knife I buy.
With GEC it's not like Case where they do loads of collector runs , they're just naturally limited and I wouldn't blame anyone for only collecting them.

I will say however that sometimes I see a picture of a safe queen GEC and think about how much better it would look after 30 years in someone's pocket.

I use all of my knives. It's just that some are delegated as work knives. Others are dress/office cary and they ride in a slip. What I appreciate about Great Eastern is that they are capable regardless. Pictured is a Dixie stockman that sees a lot of (work) pocket time. It's looking a bit rough, but as long as I keep the joints clean and oiled the action is as good if not better than when it was new.
1071835524_o.jpg

I use all of my knives. It's just that some are delegated as work knives. Others are dress/office cary and they ride in a slip. What I appreciate about Great Eastern is that they are capable regardless. Pictured is a Dixie stockman that sees a lot of (work) pocket time. It's looking a bit rough, but as long as I keep the joints clean and oiled the action is as good if not better than when it was new.
1071835524_o.jpg
Great looking 82. Looks much better than new :thumbsup:
Mine has been seeing a lot of pocket time lately, it’s so slim easy to carry and it’s hard to leave it at home.

I just recently steered towards traditionals. I've almost exclusively carried spydercos along with a victorinox explorer but the SAK blade is rarely used. I've been spoiled by one handed operation and stainless super steels but I think we all have a soft spot for slipjoints. I dug up an old gec #15 that I never use and made that my daily. Time spent opening and closing a knife has not been significantly increased. I have a #21 coming in the mail and I'm looking forward to expanding my collection.

Back