1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Do you use your GEC knives?

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by robertj298, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Welcome to the traditionals Porch my friend . Have a good time expanding your collection .

Harry

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  2. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I use some, some I don't. I tend to buy what I find interesting for one reason or another (ooh...shiny :) ). I have a couple of knives a friend of mine labeled, "too pretty to use". :p

And not enough stuff to cut :D

I had the same reaction to my 71 so I gave it to a friend of mine who had never heard of GEC, but appreciates fine things.

3. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I have two that are in my steady rotation for pocket time and use. I have others that just sit in a drawer. For me it's pretty much pattern, and when I find one I really like that gets used. I've been using my Congress Jack (the BF 2013 knife) steady ever since it arrived in the mail. It's my most carried knife.

4. veitsi_poika

veitsi_poika Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2016
    When will GEC's become vintage? I hope I'm still alive then so I can buy my first one and post it in the "Old Knives" thread :D

5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    And I think the time spent focused on opening and closing the knife adds to the joy of using them.

6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Gold Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I candidly have more GEC knives in my collection than I will ever use. I'm primarily a collector, and don't feel bad about it in the slightest. I do rotate several of them as carry knives and when I DO use those several, they're for tasks that couldn't honestly be called "hard use". Opening mail, cutting a shirt thread, food prep/eating, etc. About as EDC as it gets. With my GECs, I have two or three that I've designated as "food use", chosen because I didn't mind if they developed a patina, as I like to keep the rest in patina-free condition.

I like having them, and enjoy seeing what new things GEC will come up with.

Don W, mbkr, Jiki and 2 others like this.
  7. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I have one Hawthorne Jack and I bought it to use, which I do (though infrequently). They really are outstanding tools!

Zieg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  8. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Do I use 'em? Yep. Mesquite 23 LL....

[​IMG]

9. TraditionalMedicinal

TraditionalMedicinal Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 17, 2020
    I've found I'm really picky about what I like in a knife so I find myself buying and re-selling quite a few, some non-users I keep because I might like an aspect or two but not the entirety and they usually end up being gifts, I've also sold users, if they're knives people want and they're in good shape they can retain most if not all value and sometimes a little more (also depends on if they have flaws which are less desirable and you'll usually lose a few percent just because of that), I'd say if you want to keep them as a store of value maybe don't use them

10. Zachary Reed

Zachary Reed Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 18, 2020
    Sure does. Just in general, they require more maintenace. The cleaning, sharpening, and upkeep is just more ways to enjoy the knife. I thought I wanted something to throw in my pocket and not have to worry about, quite the opposite.

11. sgbeskin

sgbeskin Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 8, 2005
    9A2D67B0-C1AC-42AB-8BED-0E585DA1037D.jpeg I use mine

Don W, JonMcD, Stan Rose and 13 others like this.