Do you use your GEC knives?

I do. Or I should rather say, I used to. All of them. But I've now sold off or traded all except one, which was a gift. That one I don't carry as much anymore because I lost it in my car seat for a whole year and I'm being more careful now. The secondary market prices of GECs have gone up so much that I sold most users for what I paid for or a bit more, so I can't say I lost money. In the past couple of years my taste has changed quite a bit and the ones I had were just sitting in a box for the most part. I don't keep safe queens, so I figured it was time to pass them on to people who would get more fun out of them.

evVeZy2.jpg

ho62Cgg.jpg

H0JxykL.jpg

V2dFy4E.jpg

1nogQZV.jpg

kgGmjS8.jpg

Use them? Why the heck what I do that?!

No, I feel somewhat compelled to use my knives, as they were made to be… I get more joy out of them being in my pocket, using them and seeing them patina as opposed to just looking at and taking pictures of them. I have a few safe queens that aren’t exactly safe….from being used one day. I can promise one thing, if you have a knife that is special and incredibly sought after that you enjoy, using it will make it even more so. That’s why I use my knives, and also because I don’t buy them with the intention of just hoarding them to sell one day. Making a $50-$200 profit on a knife one day is not enough money for me not to enjoy my gear. Of course there are folks who enjoy their collection without using them, I don’t understand it but I can respect it.

6CC325F7-A1B7-4690-84A9-FD5A481AC93C.jpeg91C8FCB4-B298-41F2-81F2-682D60341CE0.jpeg1F184495-8D23-495F-96C2-4FD86B0EF8AB.jpeg55BE1FE6-94EE-4183-B9CC-9A70B2483A42.jpegB55C2255-6A2B-420A-B34F-BF02C9F53F93.jpeg0AEB2065-C907-42E4-9067-2BCEEAE8CE00.jpeg

Last edited:
of late, ive packed most of my modded knives away and focused more on an S collection for using. I have a bunch in tubes that are mint, some with oil wiped off, and some ive bought used for deleting purposes. Live on all sides of the fence, that way your grass is always green. I dont often have things to cut tbh and im not one to deliberately find something to cut just to whip a knife out. That being said, if something does require cutting, I wouldnt hesitate to use a gec or any knife I had on my person. My modded tc did serve as an impromptu cigar cutter during the rendezvous.

I have far too many GECs to effectively use them all. That said, I do not own a single GEC that I would shy from using should the fancy take me - I don't consider any of them to be safe queens.

Here are a few of those mythical users.

a4N91Md.jpg

bH2u9zN.jpg

DRlbYtN.jpg

4Qz2bXP.jpg

ZHtra1N.jpg

I have far too many GECs to effectively use them all. That said, I do not own a single GEC that I would shy from using should the fancy take me - I don't consider any of them to be safe queens.

Here are a few of those mythical users.

a4N91Md.jpg

bH2u9zN.jpg

DRlbYtN.jpg

4Qz2bXP.jpg

ZHtra1N.jpg
That's about how I feel too Dylan :) Great pics, I love the Scotch Egg! :D :thumbsup:

I really dislike people flipping knives (specifically buying to flip, not just selling it quickly because you didn't end up liking it) and just *purchasing* a knife isn't that satisfying to me, doesn't feel like I actually own it until I've carried it for a while at least. So yes, I've used every GEC I've owned and plan to keep doing so.

That's why my favorite so far and the only one I've kept is a #82 possum skinner. Two super useful blade shapes, single spring for nicer carry, niice and thin blades. Basically my perfect user.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't buy a knife that I wouldn't use. I love collecting and have some that never get carried, but only because I have something else that takes priority in the pocket that day. Arguably my most expensive if i were to sell it, has been the knife that has been in my pocket the most this past month. A knife getting a patina or dinged up from me using it somehow seems to make it more special, it gives it more character, so I love the opportunity to use them.

I only put one new GEC into rotation because the camel bone scales had hairlines and were poorly matched. The other GECs in rotation were bought used. I can't bring myself to use my other new GECs. They remain safe queens.

Back