Does anyone else wish superheroes would go away?

I've never been a fan of comic books so naturally I'm not into the movies, TV shows, etc. I don't expect everyone to have my same interests but at what point do they move on to something else? How can people not be tired of this genre by now? I have to believe some felt this way when westerns were super popular years ago. I'm hoping superheroes burn out soon but I'm not holding my breath.

I never really cared much for comic books, but I loved movies and Batman, Kung Fu and stuff. I really don't care much for superhero movies now. They will probably never go away because of all the cool special effects.

Comic movies are low-effort cash-cows so, why stop?
I remember holding out on the Avengers series, finally saw one, but couldn't get past the first 10 minutes. It was so damn corny and lame.
I'd be happy if Logan was the only one made.

Do any of you prefer old movies to what is made today? Most of what I watch is 20+ years or older. I especially like film noir from the 40s & 50s. My idea of a good movie is Sunset Boulevard, Key Largo, Laura, The 7th Victim. I like some newer movies like Wes Anderson's stuff. I think Rushmore and The Royal Tennenbaums are great movies. I also like neo-noir like Devil in a Blue Dress and The Usual Suspects. I still like some silly movies I saw when I was in high school like Caddyshack and Used Cars, but a lot of what I thought was funny in the 70s and 80s has aged poorly and doesn't hold up.

It doesn't bother me. I haven't been in a movie theater in over a decade. I own a handle of DVDs and none are superhero movies. I subscribe to Netflix and have watched a few superhero movies there.

I was going to say superhero movies aren't going anywhere anytime soon but the Corona thing might slow it down quite a bit. I'm not sure how much a direct to Netflix (or other streaming site) movie takes in compared to a theater released movie.

When you consider how much $$$$ the superhero movies are making, the movie makers are going to ride them into the ground and squeeze every last profit from them. Between Marvel and DC (and others) there are a ton of superheros to choose from.

Is the idea of superhero movies anymore ridiculous or nonsensical with what some of us grew up with when we were younger? Who hasn't seen at least one dinosaur movie growing up, be it Jurassic Park or something that came decades before it?

Giant prehistoric monsters, radioactive monstrosities, aliens from outer space, ancient tales of magic and sorcery, vengeful ghosts, shootouts where the heroes don't get hurt, etc. we've all seen at least one of these while growing up, or otherwise seen the media dominated by these trends and more for years at a time.

If every other movie and TV show was about dinosaurs then I'd be complaining about that. My point is it's too much of one genre and I'm tired it.

If every other movie and TV show was about dinosaurs then I'd be complaining about that. My point is it's too much of one genre and I'm tired it.

Well it's certainly a good point. But then again nobody knows how to make good movies anymore. It's always some rehash of some tried and true formula, people making stupid decisions for the sake of the plot, and in horror movies it's always stupid people being killed off in situations they didn't have to die in, just so the final survivor can emerge triumphantly.

Even if superhero movies were to peter out in the next few weeks, what would arise to take their place certainly wouldn't be masterpieces. Just more stupid people, doing stupid things, to advance a stupid and barely coherent plot that was dreamed up by numerous rejects who worked on other failed movies.

Even if superhero movies were to peter out in the next few weeks, what would arise to take their place certainly wouldn't be masterpieces. Just more stupid people, doing stupid things, to advance a stupid and barely coherent plot that was dreamed up by numerous rejects who worked on other failed movies.
I agree.

I'm a lifelong fan of comics and animation, have enjoyed many superhero movies over the years, have 3 kids who share this enjoyment with me, and even my screen name is derived from a quote in one of said movies; and yes there is a part of me that wishes superhero hero movies and TV shows would go away to some extent. It's gotten to the point where I just ignore most of them these days.

That being said, the reason I no longer like many of them is because frankly many of them are not that good any more. The makers of the content are banking on fandom rather than putting out a good product. It's certainly been proven that superhero movies/shows can be good, and if good ones start coming out again I will watch them.

When I was a kid, I was a big fan of comic books, both DC and Marvel (especially Marvel). That was back during the mid- ‘60s to the late ‘70s, when I feel the comic books were at their best and most creative (and most fun). Then I lost interest at around age 17. I also used to collect those adult “underground comix” from the late ‘60s/early’70s, like Zap Comix and The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers, because they were funny.

When this new trend in Marvel Universe movies first came out, I watched them, but stopped after awhile. It became too much, and I got tired of the movies, even though the modern CGI is the best way they could present those types of stories. I don’t like many new movies anyway, especially out of Hollywood. Back when Black Panther came out, I wasn’t as impressed as everybody else seemed to be. When a movie is advertised as, “It’s the best (*name the genre*) movie ever made,” I never think it’s very good. I still don’t understand all the mega-hype surrounding Black Panther.

The only “Hollywood” movie that’s come out in recent years that I liked was the horror movie ‘Hereditary,’ which I thought was excellent and almost a throwback to older, 1970s-era horror films.

If I don’t like a certain type of movie, I just don’t watch them. Period. It doesn’t bother me if they’re still being made or not.

Jim

Last edited:
Looked at "movie new releases" 42 examples, 2 superhero movies. Bloodshot (nobody heard of him) and Birds of Prey (DC just stop already).

What kind of movies do you like? Maybe I can make some suggestions.

american-flagg-11-cover.jpg

oJd9DX_3sJ8lVSbigEBXTzJ2i0wghVsVlvy7qhvbGpH9V8e-d0q9reZYhRAH6OPGu2iiu2mNWO91cWqhQywEIl358-vm-9oy6aShgwQaa-7SSjUyG5_ZrTenCxuQJWbcVAYjWQ=s0

dark-knight-returns-batman-and-judge-dredd-action_5fpa.1920.jpg

I'd post a link to "The Boys" but it's not a good fit for this section.

The only “Hollywood” movie that’s come out in recent years that I liked was the horror movie ‘Hereditary,’ which I thought was excellent and almost a throwback to older, 1970s-era horror films.
Good call. I love horror movies and Hereditary definitely sticks with ya! Had to watch it a couple times haha.

When this new trend in Marvel Universe movies first came out, I watched them, but stopped after awhile. It became too much, and I got tired of the movies, even though the modern CGI is the best way they could present those types of stories. I don’t like many new movies anyway, especially out of Hollywood. Back when Black Panther came out, I wasn’t as impressed as everybody else seemed to be. When a movie is advertised as, “It’s the best (*name the genre*) movie ever made,” I never think it’s very good. I still don’t understand all the mega-hype surrounding Black Panther.

My only problem with the Marvel movies is just how many easter eggs they slip into their movies for other movies. Call backs, call forwards, etc. I used to keep track of them as they story unfolded, but it just got to be so tiring. I appreciate it all from the perspective of a writer, but as a viewer I'd just like to be entertained.

Back