Does your wife EDC ? Mine finally does, after 17 years of marriage - guess what she picked

ferider

Gold Member
I've started carrying a folder since I was 6, after I found a SAK in the mountains, and my dad taught me to wet sharpen on a stone shortly afterwards. Now, the rotation and collection thing, I've only started a few years ago, after I bought my first Spyderco. By now, I have ~100 knives, mostly Spydercos and ZT, and since recently, some Hinderers. I'm embarrassed to say, I also own some clones, bought when I started the hobby. Only a couple of my knifes have a blade shorter than 3.5".

My better half has lovingly tolerated my knife "hoarding", and I've tried on and off to get her to carry a knife too, but, until recently, without success.

The other Sat, after a day of yard work, and being at our 3rd beer, I thought I'd try again: I took out my entire collection, and asked her to play with each knife and see if she liked it. We found quickly, that she doesn't like Spyderholes, she complained about most of my knives being too small, and had trouble flipping Hinderers (incl. Gen 6). BTW, the skinny XM-24 felt too flimsy ... Finally we found two knives she liked, both unfortunately Chinese Ti clones. Of one, she liked the shape better; both of them hurt her finger when flipping (tab jimping too rough) ... so I ground/smoothened the tab of her favorite, which made her really liked it, except for the weight of the chosen, full Ti and fairly large knife.

So off I go online, and buy her the real thing. When it arrived, it was love at first sight for her. She carries it every day now, uses it when handling boxes, for many tasks when camping, etc. This is what she picked:

i-s6QFQjQ-X3.jpg

Most expensive knife and only Shiro in our household. One morale of the story ? Don't assume women want to carry tiny knives :)

Does your better half EDC, and if yes, what does she use ?

Cheers,

Roland.

Last edited:
She's got a Mantra2 that I had cerakoted purple for her.
I liked it enough that got one for myself; but had the blade acid etched while it was getting purpled (it's a verb now).
I don't have a picture of hers; but I've posted mine a few times.
3RqSHDf.jpg

My ex carried a pink Kershaw shuffle. It was perfect for her as her family is a bunch of alcoholics.

When I kicked her out of the house and divorced her, she threw it at me, along with the wedding ring. I have it around here somewhere. It was an early model, 8cr instead of 3cr like the later models.

At some moment my wife supported my obsession:) and now she have couple of her own knives - small SAK ranger on keychain with custom ebony wood inlays that my friend made for her, red “adidas” SAK nomad and orange Ontario Rat-1.

My wife would probably cut herself every time she used it, as she normally does with kitchen knives. I've offered to buy her a purple spyderco, but she hasn't taken me up on it yet. Funny, when I got my 801ti in the mail the other day she opened it by pulling the blade out, not flipping it, and then asked "how do you close it?"

Maybe one day... :D

Victorinox Fieldmaster. She wanted one of those things ever since she was a girl scout. I saved my pennies and gave her one for her birthday.

A spyderco Delica for some time. She had a piranha auto for a while. Now she wants a microtech Ultratech and a spyderco dragonfly sprint. The teal one if you haven’t guessed already :rolleyes:.

Not really, but mine does occasionally tote around a blacked out, half serrated Delica. I think she'd dig a little OTF, but she can't really activate the button reliably.

Back