Doug Ritter RSK Knife Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a re-branded original as wasn't the design by Ritter in the first place? Or the blade and handle together by Ritter? Exhausted, so looking forward to buying the Hogue Ritter Grip with "Grip" being the "Kleenex" of g10 handled axis lock knives to actual tissues.
No. The design wasn’t by Ritter, the design was by Mel Pardue. How many times does that point need to be made?

I could slap a PM2 blade on a Benchmade Adamas (with tinkering) and claim the knife was designed by Sal Glesser. But the knife would still have been designed by Shane Sibert.

No. The design wasn’t by Ritter, the design was by Mel Pardue. How many times does that point need to be made?

I could slap a PM2 blade on a Benchmade Adamas (with tinkering) and claim the knife was designed by Sal Glesser. But the knife would still have been designed by Shane Sibert.
4 more times.

If you want to get technical Mel Perdue did design the griptilian along with Benchmade however he had nothing to do with the Ritter blade/finish. It’s really a Mel Perdue/benchmade designed handle with a Doug Ritter designed blade. A knife consists of a handle and a blade. Your example of a pm2 blade on a Adamas wouldn’t be a knife designed by Shane Sibert it would be a Franken knife with a shane sibert designed handle and a pm2 blade.

I'd say it's a testament to the design right? If Mr. Ritter felt like the previous gen was essentially the perfect bang for the buck EDC.. when BM decided to drop him he set about making that same design just slightly better. I'd be willing to bet he tried with BM and the corporate bean counters shut it down. I can't blame him if he then set about to find another manufacturer. Assuming that's how it went down.

For the haters, stop crapping on this knife without even handling it.

While the new RSK Mk-1 G2 handle may appear similar to the old RSK Mk1, I imagine holding it in hand will show evident differences. From photos, it’s apparent that the handle design is completely different. The finger choil area is distinctive, as well as the rear handle shape & lanyard hole placement.

Read the Knifeworks specs on this knife, and you’d see the following:

“The RSK® Mk1-G2 blade retains the exact same widely acclaimed 3.4-inch drop point profile with a high flat grind as Ritter designed for the original RSK™ Mk1.”

The blade is the most important part of the knife, and the specs of Doug Ritter’s Original blade design fed the need. Why change a good thing? Change what many people didn’t care for...the glass-filled Norly scales.

Besides handle material and addition of standoffs, a quick comparison of the handle of the RSK Mk1-G2 to the RSK Mk1, and you’ll see the following differences:

RSK Mk1
4.62 closed
8.06 open
3.82 ounces

RSK Mk1-G2
4.72 closed
8.15 open
4.5 ounces

The point is that Doug Ritter worked hard on bringing us this knife. At the very least, wait until you hold the knife to complain. You might be pleasantly surprised!

I am very happy to see this knife make a comeback. I almost caved and bought one for significantly more money. I get to replace a beloved knife and save some money. I hope we get an M4 version too. M390 and M4 covers our Stainless and Carbon fix. Win win.

Knife looks good. Mr. Ritter does a lot to try to change knife laws in our (enthusiasts) favor. I'll stay out of the rest....

First Hogue with m390? I like cpm154 but I'd like to see them start using more m390.

For the haters, stop crapping on this knife without even handling it.

While the new RSK Mk-1 G2 handle may appear similar to the old RSK Mk1, I imagine holding it in hand will show evident differences. From photos, it’s apparent that the handle design is completely different. The finger choil area is distinctive, as well as the rear handle shape & lanyard hole placement.

Read the Knifeworks specs on this knife, and you’d see the following:

“The RSK® Mk1-G2 blade retains the exact same widely acclaimed 3.4-inch drop point profile with a high flat grind as Ritter designed for the original RSK™ Mk1.”

The blade is the most important part of the knife, and the specs of Doug Ritter’s Original blade design fed the need. Why change a good thing? Change what many people didn’t care for...the glass-filled Norly scales.

Besides handle material and addition of standoffs, a quick comparison of the handle of the RSK Mk1-G2 to the RSK Mk1, and you’ll see the following differences:

RSK Mk1
4.62 closed
8.06 open
3.82 ounces

RSK Mk1-G2
4.72 closed
8.15 open
4.5 ounces

The point is that Doug Ritter worked hard on bringing us this knife. At the very least, wait until you hold the knife to complain. You might be pleasantly surprised!

I don't see where anyone is actually "crapping" on the knife.

Google brought me here after the Knifeworks email. I haven't been here for quite a while, unfortunately for me.

Just ordered from Knifeworks.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet, I don't think, can be found in the write-up on the Knifeworks website, 15th paragraph:

"The handle incorporates open construction with three standoffs. Compared to the solid back of the original RSK Mk1, this allows for easier cleaning. The RSK® Mk1-G2 is neutrally balanced, Ritter's ideal for this size knife. The RSK® Mk1-G2 with the G-10 handle weighs in at 4.5 oz (127 g) with the clip."

Open construction sealed the deal for me, and it is a major difference from the Ritter Griptilian, which I also own.

Critter Critter Does Hogue do the entire manufacturing and heat treat in house?

I'd definitely be interested in a mini; if I can scrounge up the cash I'll pick up a full size, too.

I was just having fun, but that point is wrong every time it's made even this time. It was a collaboration between Blade, Handle and Axis Lock designers and the idea originated with a Doug discussing it with Mel at Shot Show 1999.
Griptilian® handle & mechanical design Mel Pardue
AXIS Lock design Bill McHenry and Jason Williams
Blade Design Doug Ritter

Complicated. No doubt you could see how one could interpret you as, essentially, promoting your business venture.

A release from the dealer or OK from Spark would have made all of this much more up front.
You're honestly a despicable person.

You're honestly a despicable person.

You are new. I will give you a warning instead of points. The poster made a comment about the topic. It was not addressed to you. You came back with a direct insult of that person. Do not insult other posters. It is not allowed in the discussion forums.

I was just having fun, but that point is wrong every time it's made even this time. It was a collaboration between Blade, Handle and Axis Lock designers and the idea originated with a Doug discussing it with Mel at Shot Show 1999.
Griptilian® handle & mechanical design Mel Pardue
AXIS Lock design Bill McHenry and Jason Williams
Blade Design Doug Ritter
Credit for the handle was conveniently absent from the description. Questions about the due credit have been brushed aside.

Let's see if I have this straight.
♦ A person who had a hand in designing a knife wants the knife made.
♦ The company that previously made the knife isn't interested in making the knife.
♦ The lock is no longer under patent.
♦ The person who designed the handle may or may not have been asked if he had an issue with taking production elsewhere.
♦ We don't know if the handle designer is missing out on any royalty payments because we don't know his financial arrangement with the previous manufacturer who wasn't going to make the knife anyway.

Personally, I think the proprieties are so murky that there is no clear answer to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back