Doug Ritter RSK Knife Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I see it, Benchmade had the choice to continue making the Ritter knife. They are the ones who cancelled it, making it impossible to purchase any more. It's like a restaurant producing amazing fried chicken sandwiches and then suddenly changing the menu and not selling it anymore. It's completely reasonable for someone else to sell a damn fried chicken sandwich with a similar recipe at that point. It's not fair to sell something great and then decide to bury it while simultaneously not letting anyone else make it either.

I'd feel differently if the Benchmade Ritter and the new Ritter were being sold at the same time.

That's just silly, no one would stop making fried chicken sandwiches voluntarily, unless they were crazy.

As I see it, Benchmade had the choice to continue making the Ritter knife. They are the ones who cancelled it, making it impossible to purchase any more. It's like a restaurant producing amazing fried chicken sandwiches and then suddenly changing the menu and not selling it anymore. It's completely reasonable for someone else to sell a damn fried chicken sandwich with a similar recipe at that point. It's not fair to sell something great and then decide to bury it while simultaneously not letting anyone else make it either.

I'd feel differently if the Benchmade Ritter and the new Ritter were being sold at the same time.

Exactly! It's like Ford making the 1968 Mustang and then changing the body type in 1969 and not selling the '68 any more, making it impossible to purchase! It's completely reasonable for some other car company to make their "own" 1968 Mustang at that point. Its not fair to sell something great then decide to bury it while simultaneously not letting anyone else make it either.

I do however see very similar designs to the Freek's blade and the Ritter blade.

I think it's an error to call this a "Ritter blade" and it confuse the discussion. It's just a drop point high saber grind blade.
That's as generic as you can be. Do we really need to apply the "Ritter blade" label to each drop point high saber grind blades under the sun?
There is zero innovation here.

Don't get me wrong: I like the RSK Mk1. I own one. But IMHO saying Doug Ritter innovated by putting a specific "Ritter blade" on a Griptilian is misleading.

I think it's an error to call this a "Ritter blade" and it confuse the discussion. It's just a drop point high saber grind blade.
That's as generic as you can be. Do we really need to apply the "Ritter blade" label to each drop point high saber grind blades under the sun?
There is zero innovation here.

Don't get me wrong: I like the RSK Mk1. I own one. But IMHO saying Doug Ritter innovated by putting a specific "Ritter blade" on a Griptilian is misleading.

Let me just say that I did not call it a Ritter blade, I simply stated that there are some similaries, for example a better steel than Benchmade used on the regular griptilians (154CM) at the time, heavy stonewashing, and a similar blade profile with a high grind. I personally have no problem with Benchmade using this blade on the Freek just as I have no problem with Doug Ritter and Hogue tweaking and producing another verison of the MK1. Benchmade CHOSE to stop the MK1... I WOULD have a problem with the new Ritter MK1 if 1.) Benchmade was still producing it and Ritter/Hogue came out with this knife, 2.) If this had any Benchmade branding or name association. I in no way advocate the production of clones. In fact I absolutely hate them. To me a clone is when a company produces a knife that is made with the intent to pass it off as the knife it was "cloned" from. In most cases clones will even use logos, similar packaging, and crucial design elements of the original. The fact that Doug Ritter designed the blade on both knives should completely squash the the word "clone" from this discussion in my opinion. Of course it looks similar but to me that does not make it wrong or a ripoff. That is all I'm saying.

Except, what people dubbed the Ritter Griptilian was manufactured by Benchmade (for Ritter).
This one is manufactured by Hogue (for Ritter)...the popular name can't really carry over to another manufacturer (especially since the first manufacturer still makes the Griptilian)

Except, what people dubbed the Ritter Griptilian was manufactured by Benchmade (for Ritter).
This one is manufactured by Hogue (for Ritter)...the popular name can't really carry over to another manufacturer (especially since the first manufacturer still makes the Griptilian)

Yeah, but there's no denying that it looks like a made-over Ritter Griptilian. I mean, down to the middle screws holding the handles on, the 3 screws on the outer perimeter of the handles, the axis/able lock, even the pivot screw and barrel nut are identical looking to the Griptilians. Call it what you may, it looks like a new version of the Ritter Griptilian. Justify whatever subtle changes there are, it still looks like a Griptilian. Just an observation, that's all.

MolokaiRider MolokaiRider
I'll have to find your post, to reply - give me a minute

*back*
You hope the intentions are altruistic?

On second thought, I don't want to know....
Time for me to remove myself from this discussion.
<closes thread, and wanders off to enjoy the day>

MolokaiRider MolokaiRider
I'll have to find your post, to reply - give me a minute

*back*
You hope the intentions are altruistic?

On second thought, I don't want to know....
Time for me to remove myself from this discussion.
<closes thread, and wanders off to enjoy the day>

What in the world are you going on about? My post is pretty simple and shouldn’t need to be unpacked and explained.

Have a nice day!

Looks to me like someone got a little butthurt that someone else decided not to make their knives anymore, so as a big middle finger, went to another manufacturer and had them make a re-branded copy. Because that's what it is.

Looks to me like someone got a little butthurt that someone else decided not to make their knives anymore, so as a big middle finger, went to another manufacturer and had them make a re-branded copy. Because that's what it is.

Or a re-branded original as wasn't the design by Ritter in the first place? Or the blade and handle together by Ritter? Exhausted, so looking forward to buying the Hogue Ritter Grip with "Grip" being the "Kleenex" of g10 handled axis lock knives to actual tissues.

Or a re-branded original as wasn't the design by Ritter in the first place? Or the blade and handle together by Ritter? Exhausted, so looking forward to buying the Hogue Ritter Grip with "Grip" being the "Kleenex" of g10 handled axis lock knives to actual tissues.
I would hardly call a the Ritter grip a unique design. More of a slight modification.

It's a homage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back