Drop Forged Knives

Finished up the bowie one, worked out pretty good as well.

Stingray by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

tucked the end strands back under itself, pulled tight and then the very ends were slipped back under one of the wraps and then super glue was poured over the cotton which makes it super hard and strong grip.
G2

I had swapped my Survivalist out with my friends as he wanted to get one that was also cord wrapped as well and while the cork was a good idea it made the handle too large for my girlish hands :) so I mailed mine off and got his in with his other two and unfortunately I was not able to get a hole drilled in this one and the lanyard hole seems a little smaller and wasn't able to fit two cords through, so I ended up wrapping the cords around and tucking them in to keep them retained. In all cases of these handles, they are NOT able to be undone and rewrapped like a samurai sword often can be, these are one time events, you would have to grind these wrappings off in order to get down to the metal again....good luck with that! but, they should last a very long time!

I think I'm done with cord wraps for a while :) but I am tempted to get that hunter in, looks like a useful blade too.
G2

I think I'm done with cord wraps for a while :) but I am tempted to get that hunter in, looks like a useful blade too.
G2
You should.
The DP Hunter is nice.
Only alteration I did, was to take the belt loop off the sheath.
Have toyed with the idea of removing a bit of material.
mPpP1KU.jpg

Nice! looks like a good cutter for sure.
G2

Working to remove the painted surface on the blade, beneath was a black coating as well which I worked to get below, the steel as you might guess is pretty hard, so not sure how much further I will work this. Of course once the coating is off, more care will be needed to protect it from corrosion but that's fine.

Scraped the blade using a screwdriver and then used a section of a wooden ruler wrapped in sand paper to clean up the rest

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

scary thing to do with a fully sharpened blade !!! I was being super cautious not to let my fingers run up against that edge while sanding !

G2

Drop Forged Hunter arrived today. I like the black finish much more than the silver used on the other models. Feels less slippery too as if the dark coating is textured somehow. And this is the only model of the Drop Forged line that is available in both silver or black. Wish the others were available in black as well.

Very sturdy knife, feels great in hand. I wasn't really sure if I was going to like this knife but now that I have one to examine in person I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.

Drop Forged Hunter arrived today. I like the black finish much more than the silver used on the other models. Feels less slippery too as if the dark coating is textured somehow. And this is the only model of the Drop Forged line that is available in both silver or black. Wish the others were available in black as well.

Very sturdy knife, feels great in hand. I wasn't really sure if I was going to like this knife but now that I have one to examine in person I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised.
I kinda like it.
Its very wide though. On the fence whether or not to remove some steel.
Will remove the coating in any event.

I kinda like it.
Its very wide though. On the fence whether or not to remove some steel.
Will remove the coating in any event.
I just picked mine up from the post office and have only had it for a few hours. Have you used yours for any extended cutting so far and if so how has the black finish held up?

I just picked mine up from the post office and have only had it for a few hours. Have you used yours for any extended cutting so far and if so how has the black finish held up?
Nope, so far only used it a little.
Ill beat the snot out of it at some point.
Removing the coating will of course mean more maintenance.

You can't beat that 52100 steel! A little rust won't hurt it. It makes it look like someone has used the knife. Lol

Back