Ed Schott's AWESOME Camp Knife in CPM 3V

Cliff--
Thank you for the suggestion on Reeves' blades. I'll try to do that.
Does your appreciation for his fixed blades translate into any newfound interest in considering and/or testing a Sebenza?
--Will

Cliff, if the finish is rough it doesn't take saltwater to rust ATS-34, so a wet sheath will do it just fine. It certainly isn't as bad as O1, but it will rust in a wet sheath over a couple days. I once had a customer make his own wet-formed leather sheath, without protecting the blade. While I was able to clean it up and repolish it later, it was sure an ugly mess when I first got it back. Also, depending on how the leather is tanned that can happen slow or fast, but it will rust, and as you observed the edge goes first.

Ed, I doubt stainless foil fully protects 3V in heat treating. As you know, it generally begins to fall apart and even weld to the blade at the temps used for 3V hardening. Paul Bos, whom I use for heat treating, uses atmospherically controlled ovens so decarburization is just not an issue. Have you considered using something like a continuous argon purge on your oven? I'm told that works pretty well, but unfortunately I don't have a reference for you.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

Thanks for the great answers!

Here another question, what's the highest polish you can or should do on a 3V blade?

I get all the scratches out on my grinder, then I use 600 grit greaseless compound on a loose buff to give it a light brushed finish. It would probably be better off without the brushing, but it looks lousy without it in my judgement.

------------------
Jerry Hossom
www.hossom.com

i was the original owner of the knife donna now has. i got it from ed schott a few months before. it was the test knife according to ed. testing for what i dont know.

the knife donna has now has been facelifted, but the original was not bad at all. i thought it was a perfectly good knife for the price i payed.

i will definatly be wanting another knife, this time looking like donnas camp knife, in the future.

by the way, i was told you said to donna that the knife you sold me was relatively dull. UH if that is your dull then what is your sharp, shaving hydrogen atoms out of water?

keep up the good work.
mitch

hey, are you guys talking about the small camp/utility knife with chord over leather (4" blade), or the utility knife with chord over g10 handle (3 5/8" blade), or the small utility knife with the g10 handle (3 1/8 " blade).

in either case, how is the handle under extended use?

I too am curious as to the durability of the paracord wrap.

I would think that it would start to suffer from the "fuzzies" and be quite absorbent of various "fluids"...

Or is it impregnated with some kind of epoxy?

Mr. Schott, what brand of epoxy do you use?

------------------
RKBA!
Click Here To Make $5with Paypal!
Pay ANYONE With Your Visa/MC Over the Internet!

I have the 4" camp knife with wrap over leather handle, which I bought second hand from Tom Carey. I received the knife in obviously heavily used condition. The name etch on the blade is almost worn off, and the sheath has obviously been worn as a daily carry for some time--Tom confirmed that he used it as a utility knife at work. The wrap is impregnated with a hardening agent and wears like iron. I assume it is epoxy. It has a very grippy feel, and looks brand new. This is not a wrap which you are going to take off and re-wrap. It is solid, immovable, there to stay, and from all appearances functionally impervious to just about anything.
By the way, the blade shows no rust whatsoever--just a light speckling of surface stain. This is a very tough knife.
--Will

Back