EDC... But why??

I don't get this notion of judging knife-carry based on perceived NEED or lack thereof. Need isn't something you can predict. You might think that you don't need to carry a knife, but what if you are unexpectedly called upon to cut something. Some needs can be planned on and prepared for, but in life there is always the unexpected. I carry knives both for the things I plan on cutting, and the unexpected things that I wasn't planning on cutting.

I don't know how many stories I've seen in my life of people who suddenly and unexpectedly NEEDED a knife. I've seen cases of people/children getting their clothing caught in a escalator at a shopping mall or a carnival ride and someone used a knife to cut them loose. I've seen cases of people using pocket knives to cut themselves and others free from car seatbelts after accidents. I've seen cases of cops and paramedics who were involved in emergency medical or rescue situations and they had to ask bystanders if someone had a knife because they needed to cut something and didn't have a suitable cutting tool.

Sometimes I'll use a knife all day long, and sometimes I'll go all day without cutting anything. But either way I consider a knife to be a daily necessity because I have no idea what situations might come up. I didn't buy fire extinguishers for my house because it was already on fire or because I plan on it catching fire, but I consider them to be a daily necessity none the less. I didn't buy first-aid kits because I was injured or plan on becoming injured, but I consider them to be a daily necessity anyways. I consider BEING PREPARED to be a basic necessity unto itself.

I firmly believe that EVERYONE needs to carry a knife, whether they use it or not, whether they think they need it or not, and regardless of their occupation. Sometimes when you need a knife, you REALLY need a knife. And when you REALLY need a knife it's certainly better to have one than not. Heck, there are quality knives so small that they can be carried on a keychain, so I don't see any excuse for people not to carry one.

Last edited:
I carry a knife because my Grandpa gave me my first one when I was about 9-10 years old, and ever since then I have enjoyed the convenience of carrying one. I use my knife mostly for opening packages and cutting random stuff when I need to. I don't collect knives and only have four right know. Three are old beat up knives I retired, they still work, but every five years or so I like to get something new. The fourth is a Benchmade 707 I purchased about six months ago. I think I am going to carry this knife for a very long time, it just the right size for me and I really like the axis-lock.

I firmly believe that EVERYONE needs to carry a knife, whether they use it or not, whether they think they need it or not, and regardless of their occupation. Sometimes when you need a knife, you REALLY need a knife. And when you REALLY need a knife it's certainly better to have one than not. Heck, there are quality knives so small that they can be carried on a keychain, so I don't see any excuse for people not to carry one.

Hear, hear! I agree. I carry quite a few items for this reason. Most are so small I don't even notice them.

Out of the pouch...

Last edited:
I wouldn't call my small accumulation a collection.
Why do I have so many? Because I like to carry two knives at a time and they must be differently sized.
I have a knife for just about any use I could need one for.
The reason I carry one is because it's handy to have on me and I find things daily that having a knife on me makes a simple task of.
My current EDC?
The last few days it's been my Strider SNG Z-Wear and Galyean Pro Series Small JYD.

I wish I would have been more like you when I first started collecting knives. I have 47 knives right now and I only carry about 10 of them frequently, but I love them all too much to get rid of them. Because they are all good knives, but I like some more than others.

I collect knives because it isn't fun to collect firearms in California.

The #1 reason I carry a knife is to defend myself. Where I live, I have lots of reasons to be prepared. A big knife makes me feel a lot better. :)

I collect knives because I'm a little obsessive about collecting things. If I'm not working on a collection or getting stuff in the mail I don't know what to do with myself.

My blade yesterday was an Emerson CQC-7BW that I just got in from the exchange. Loving it!
View attachment 344481

I work in an office and as a travelling inhouse consultant, which means a looot of travel. I usually carry a small Great Eastern Cutlery White Owl in my watch pocket. It is a small two bladed pocket knife in 1095 steel, takes a razor edge and has so far fullfilled all of my cutting tasks. Opening packages, cutting string, cutting food - prepping a sallad I get to eat at the hotel room; splitting subs etc.

EDC 01 by jonas_evertsson, on Flickr

I find it better suited for my environment than my one handed opening spydercos, benchmades, kershaws etc. It will peel an orange as good as any other blade, but I can hand it to a colleague without them raising hell about a knife; weapon etc, you know the drill. Besides when you carry everything you need for a few days with you, weight is an issue.

I FIRST started carrying a knife because I saw some reviews in a police magazine a teacher gave me and I thought they looked cool. Less than a couple months after I bought one of them (H&K Ally), it kept me from getting robbed at the bus stop. Then I started carrying it for different reasons.

I collect them because I am looking for "The one." The Ontario Rat-II folder is pretty damn close, and I would just say "I'm done," but that's not legal to carry in my town. It's my out of town/work knife though. What I carry in town the most is either my Spyderco Cat G10 or Spyderco Ambitious. If my Kershaw 1080 Skinner came with a better sheath then I would carry that often. I need to find out who makes a kydex sheath for it.

I don't get this notion of judging knife-carry based on perceived NEED or lack thereof. Need isn't something you can predict. You might think that you don't need to carry a knife, but what if you are unexpectedly called upon to cut something. Some needs can be planned on and prepared for, but in life there is always the unexpected. I carry knives both for the things I plan on cutting, and the unexpected things that I wasn't planning on cutting.

I don't know how many stories I've seen in my life of people who suddenly and unexpectedly NEEDED a knife. I've seen cases of people/children getting their clothing caught in a escalator at a shopping mall or a carnival ride and someone used a knife to cut them loose. I've seen cases of people using pocket knives to cut themselves and others free from car seatbelts after accidents. I've seen cases of cops and paramedics who were involved in emergency medical or rescue situations and they had to ask bystanders if someone had a knife because they needed to cut something and didn't have a suitable cutting tool.

Sometimes I'll use a knife all day long, and sometimes I'll go all day without cutting anything. But either way I consider a knife to be a daily necessity because I have no idea what situations might come up. I didn't buy fire extinguishers for my house because it was already on fire or because I plan on it catching fire, but I consider them to be a daily necessity none the less. I didn't buy first-aid kits because I was injured or plan on becoming injured, but I consider them to be a daily necessity anyways. I consider BEING PREPARED to be a basic necessity unto itself.

I support this view 100%

Collect for fun. I don't carry much of what I collect(I favor machetes and large fixed blades more than anything), though I do carry a folder daily, and I use it daily. I "EDC" a rather standard sized folder(I rotate what I carry simply for variety) for small but daily tasks like opening boxes, envelopes and food packaging(no kidding, if you get a package of hot links or something where the "tear here" part doesn't tear, those suckers are quite a chore to open without some kind of blade), cutting zip ties, etc. Aside from 1 or 2 knives in that role, the rest is just collecting just for fun.

I carry a knife almost everyday because I'm a ninja.

2222-toilet-ninja.jpg

#1. Reason to carry. Because when I do not carry, more often than not, I wish I did.
#1 Reason to collect. I do not collect. I acquire.
Knives are the ultimate "form follows function" expression.

I carry because I cut things. Daily.

I collect because I like knives and I like choice.

It is really that simple.

Today I am carrying my Gerber Shortcut (I carry that all day, every day) and my Spyderco Manix2 XL (that changes from day-to-day, yesterday I carried my Buck Vantage Pro Force). [Edit: I usually carry a Buck Hartsook neck knife, but not today.] I own a few small acres and work on the property almost daily. Sometimes I also carry a fixed blade and/or a machette or parang. Maybe a saw, depending on the job I need to do. Sometimes a hunting knife if I am hunting, an old fixed blade if I am fishing (usually a SS Mora that I keep in my tackle box, well coated). I use knives because they are tools and do a needed job. So - I could have as many as 5 knives on my person at any one time, but usually 3 (Shortcut, EDC, & Hartsook).

I also have a wide assortment of tools for working on cars, my UTV, or chores around the house. I have what I need. Knives are part of all that.

Edit:
Someone also mentioned firearms. I have a fairly decent collection of those as well, started by my Dad and added onto by me. I often carry my H&K .45 (legal on my hip) and have used it. We have numerous bears here and, a couple of years ago, one had a tussle with one of my dogs. Dog survived (barely - no pun intended), but the bear didn't thanks to that .45.

Last edited:
I carry a knife simply because I like them. Alot.
I like having one in my pocket. It makes me feel prepared.
Plus, one of my jobs is yard work so it gets used alot there.
I only carry 1 knife at a time, so I like it to be a strong one just in case I roll my truck or something.

I don't have any $400 knives. I carry a knife or other cutting implement because I find myself needing to cut something with a sharp implement often enough to make it worthwhile to have something in my pocket rather than having to go find something, or try to use a key.

My daily carry knives are relatively small and would not be viewed as weapons by anyone with any sense. Typically a Case folding knife of some sort in the 3.5" closed, 2.5" blade range, and a little Boker Keycom with a 1.5" blade.

I do have several Case knives that I switch between just because I like the variety of colors, patterns, and blade styles. I guess you could wear the exact same clothes every day too (if you wash often) but most people like a little change of pace in apparel. Same with knives.

I carry because a knife is a primarily a cutting tool that I have a need for daily. It has never occurred to me not to carry a knife. Yes, I like them too.

Collecting? Not really interested in collecting knives. I collect too many things already to add knives, but it would be a logical step because the first thing about collecting is you need to like the collection and want to learn more about them.

I carry a sebenza small wood inlay daily.

I bought it because I quit cigarettes and money was literally piling up and decided to reward myself with a nice knife.

I use my slicer and yanagi everyday at work but needed a small folder to open boxes of perishable items in a restaurant. Fits the bill.

You don't need central heating or warm water for your shower.
You can open packages without a knife, but why would you not use something that makes your life easier ?
Most people are able to grasp that simple concept, others only see the weapon aspect, which makes me wonder why I am the one to worry about :scratches head:

As I'm typing this I have a CRKT Folts Minimalist on my key ring. Yes, I know its nothing special, it just looked like a fun, handy, little knife to keep on my keys. I needed new one anyway because my Cold Steel Super Edge finally bit the dust after 2 years of service. My keychain knives get more use than any of my knives. Mostly because nobody is going to freak out if I pull it out open a wrapper, cut a box, fondle, etc... That is if they even see it. I usually carry a large folder when not at lecture, like my Case Trapper, CRKT Hissatsu, Benchmade Griptilian, etc... I carry all of these for no other reason then my enjoyment. If I wanted just a knife, I would carry my boy scout swiss army knife my uncle got for me 7 or 8 years ago. Come to think of it, I haven't seen that thing for over a while now.

Back