EDC Pistols: What's in your holsters?

Not in my case, but I've been carrying a Glock 26 for three years now. I stepped mine up long before things got crazy.
Carry a 29 for church security team or if I'm going some place I consider higher risk. I was carrying the 380 for store runs and around the house etc . I have a 26 on my side today just around the house. One of the benefits of all my carry guns being Gen 4 glocks is the controls are the same from 380 to 10mm

Anyone else stepping up their CCW in this panic stupidity ? I normally just carry a Glock G42 out and about. I have been packing a G29 or G20 the last few days
For a few days I moved back to my g19 but them remembered why I stopped caring it( I lost 100 lbs and I just can’t conceal it well anymore) so I’ve gone back down to the 43x but added a spare mag to my edcView attachment 1306458

I work out of my truck. I have a Maxpedition briefcase with a hidden flap in the front seat. Lately have been carrying a M&P 45 but also trade off with a H&K USP 40. If I am going out to some property that I own, I will slip a H&K P7 in the jacket pocket.

The reason I heard for the light bullet restriction was the chance of bullet inertia pull out. The super light revolver recoils so heavily that the bullets in the unfired rounds in the cylinder pull forward under recoil and may jam cylinder rotation.

Bullet pull is a problem with light revolvers for sure. But the lighter bullets have less inertia so they are less likely to pull out.

The theory went something like this: The lighter bullets have higher velocities and hence a more profound recoil. Response to bullet weight is linear; response to velocity is exponential. Kinetic energy = 1/2 M V (squared).

Last edited:
What you say makes sense and bullet creep is definitely an issue with light revolvers. I think we had three issues all mixed up. @Charlie_K was on the right track.

This is a direct quote from S&W.

“Hi, the reason why we recommend you don't shoot .357 magnums under 120 grain in that gun is because the quick burning powder that is associated with the lighter grain bullets presents the possibility of eroding the face of the titanium cylinder. This only applies to the .357 magnum round, below 120 grain is fine for the .38 special”

So it wasn’t the top strap like I thought but the cylinder face. And apparently it happens in only a few shots.

My 340pd has a stainless shield built into the top strap to prevent flame cutting.

Certainly not trying to beat a dead horse, just setting the record straight sorry for the mis information.

Last edited:
Springfield EMP has the honors these days:

i95rgN9.jpg

What you say makes sense and bullet creep is definitely an issue with light revolvers. I think we had three issues all mixed up. @Charlie_K was on the right track.

“Hi, the reason why we recommend you don't shoot .357 magnums under 120 grain in that gun is because the quick burning powder that is associated with the lighter grain bullets presents the possibility of eroding the face of the titanium cylinder. This only applies to the .357 magnum round, below 120 grain is fine for the .38 special”

So it wasn’t the top strap like I thought but the cylinder face. And apparently it happens in only a few shots.

My 340pd has a stainless shield built into the top strap to prevent flame cutting.

Certainly not trying to beat a dead horse, just setting the record straight sorry for the mis information.
I think we have enough information to bury the dead horse. Thank you for the input. Some of the threads I read on the gun fora are more speculative than I thought.

Anyone else stepping up their CCW in this panic stupidity ? I normally just carry a Glock G42 out and about. I have been packing a G29 or G20 the last few days

In my area, I generally carry a PM45 or CW45 depending on clothing requirements. With this craziness, I switched to my M2.0 40, but am planning on switching back when things get back to normal. I think everyone has a different risk assessment and different situations which we adapt to under varying situations... particularly since a CCL has certain requirements, and our jobs/responsibilities can affect our options.

The theory went something like this: The lighter bullets have higher velocities and hence a more profound recoil. Response to bullet weight is linear; response to velocity is exponential. Kinetic energy = 1/2 M V (squared).

I don't know that I've experienced that myself. For example, contrary to what I've read on the internet, I find that the 158gr 357 mag recoils a tad more than my 125gr ammo (in this case comparing Rem HTP 158gr and Magtech 158gr to Rem UMC, Horn CD, and Barnes 125gr 357 mag) out of my 2 3/4" revolver. The SIG VC 125gr seemed to kick more than the other 125gr's though. Just my opinion/perception.

I don't known if it's true, but an alternate theory is that with a short barrel, after the bullet leaves the barrel more powder is still burning and produces a rocket affect on the firearm, increasing felt recoil. I would assume slow burning vs fast burning powders might also play a role.

I would think that any bullet designed for a 2” barrel would use a fast burning powder, but I don’t have the time or the inclination to investigate the possible outcomes of using unrecommended ammo.

TALON52 TALON52 . Those look great!

G48 in a Garret Industries Silent Thunder GT.

View attachment 1317248
That's something different. You almost never see of hear about the GI Silent Thunder. I have one for my 1911 but rarely carry it. It's my bedside holster. I love the holster and the fact that it is lined in leather, but I have holsters that are more comfortable for daily carry.

That's something different. You almost never see of hear about the GI Silent Thunder. I have one for my 1911 but rarely carry it. It's my bedside holster. I love the holster and the fact that it is lined in leather, but I have holsters that are more comfortable for daily carry.

I really dig these. I've got one for almost all of my handguns. What holster is more comfortable for you?

I was told the lighter magnums effected the forcing cone.

Back