EDC XIII Which knife or knives are you carrying today?

image.jpeg
View attachment 1236799 The fanciest Byrd! The Ti handle is surprisingly nice and so thin in the pocket it carries like a dream. I added a cheapo deep clip (bc an mxg would cost half the price of the knife haha) but whys there no endura with this handle and finger Choil? I bet it would sell well! Too bad the blade isnt a straight swap but maybe it could be made to work somehow...its a great knife and a far cry from the 20 dollar FRN Byrd. Not in love w the ho hum blade steel but mainly the ugly comet hole though it'll work til i figure out how to make it better.

I can't tell from your picture what the choil looks like, but Titanium Enduras are out there. #3 used to have #4's blade.

View attachment 1236605

This little guy... what a life saver. Really office friendly. And not at all scary. I was ask by a client if I could open a box for her. She's in her 60's figured I would use the pocket organizer knife. Really glad I did. She was still a little freaked out and it's a little tangram.

Speaking of Tangram, I just received my first one ever today. Never even heard of them, that I can recall. But wow this is a nice little slicey knife! Great flipper action, though I can tell I'll be modding the handle. I received it with and the three Tenaciouses you sent me Rich, and it was a nice surprise, and you really didn't have to. So because I saw the box right as I was leaving for work, all four ended up being my carry for today, albeit in the backpack. Soon they'll get their spa treatment! Many thanks Rich! Good trade!

IMG_5694.JPG

Put away my Extrema Ratio BF2-CD and pocketed a standard G10 S30V Spyderco Manix2 XL, after reading/responding to some chat about it in another thread.

IMG_9900.jpg

The blade's the right length but at 2" wide when closed it's a tight fit in my front pocket w/the wallet that I also carry there.

However, I'd forgotten how much I liked to flick it open using the lock release technique. Locks up perfectly almost every time which is better than when I use the technique w/compression lock Spyders.

In terms of details, I like the polished clip (so that I don't have to worry about clip wear) and the interesting rippling (bumps?) along the top and bottom of the liner which improve the grip at the top near the blade jimping and along the bottom towards the rear of the grip, which are both interesting and functional.

Don't think I'll be carrying it long but it's definitely staying in my collection w/the regular Manix2 that I bought to pair w/it.

Sgt, the Manix 2 XL is a fantastic knife, and I am 100% with you on it's enjoyable action compared to the compression lock. Not only is it super strong, but ambidextrous as well. Some find it stiff, and though it's often said it'll break in, I reject this idea. Maybe the users think it does because they develop more strength and a better technique, but with both Manix 2 XLs I have owned, they were very stiff until I clipped a couple rings off the spring. Now my remaining Manix 2 XL is drop shutty with no finger strain. And I find the handle much more comfortable and utility oriented without the jimping or sharp finger groove transition.

Anyway what got me thinking to post about the Manix 2 XL was your comments about how wide it is. You might find a blade mod like the one I have done helps in that department. Just food for thought, cheers!

I should add, I polished the tang around the pivot, and the liners. There is no more black coating on those surfaces (this was the black version once upon a time). I also sanded the clipped end of the spring so there would be no burr.

Speaking of Tangram, I just received my first one ever today. Never even heard of them, that I can recall. But wow this is a nice little slicey knife! Great flipper action, though I can tell I'll be modding the handle. I received it with and the three Tenaciouses you sent me Rich, and it was a nice surprise, and you really didn't have to. So because I saw the box right as I was leaving for work, all four ended up being my carry for today, albeit in the backpack. Soon they'll get their spa treatment! Many thanks Rich! Good trade!

View attachment 1236844

Sgt, the Manix 2 XL is a fantastic knife, and I am 100% with you on it's enjoyable action compared to the compression lock. Not only is it super strong, but ambidextrous as well. Some find it stiff, and though it's often said it'll break in, I reject this idea. Maybe the users think it does because they develop more strength and a better technique, but with both Manix 2 XLs I have owned, they were very stiff until I clipped a couple rings off the spring. Now my remaining Manix 2 XL is drop shutty with no finger strain. And I find the handle much more comfortable and utility oriented without the jimping or sharp finger groove transition.

Anyway what got me thinking to post about the Manix 2 XL was your comments about how wide it is. You might find a blade mod like the one I have done helps in that department. Just food for thought, cheers!
That blue tenacious though. Man I'm gonna miss that one. But you will use it and it was collecting dust in my collection. Sorry it took so long to get to you David. Thanks for keeping faith in me.

IMG_1278.jpg IMG_1275.JPG IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG
View attachment 1236849

I can't tell from your picture what the choil looks like, but Titanium Enduras are out there. #3 used to have #4's blade.

Nice endura collection there. Always wanted that G10 model. I was aware of the ti/dam models and i did confirm flytanium is working on producing some ti scales for the endura (already out for the delica) as well but what i like about this particular handle is how thin it is along with the milling providing a package that's still light weight with better traction and improved carry-ability. Wouldnt mind a finger choil option also on an Endura.

Heres the Byrd cara cara Ti compared to an FRN endura and a pakkawood endura with the solid ss Backspacer. These 2 enduras are about the same handle thickness. (i assume your G10 endura is the same thickness also as the standard FRN version?). The choil is now visible and hopefully you can make out that the Byrd is considerable thinner. This is a feature I prefer for an EDC folder as it nearly dissappears in the pocket despite the length however now that they are side by side the other differences are more apparent along with a shorter handle and different length back springs so seems a bLade swap is out of the question without some heavy modding if at all. One of these will most likely be tomorows EDC btw to try and stay somewhat on topic here:p

Back