Edge Pro Slide Guide

Okay, just got back home a little while ago and had a chance to set up the Apex with the new Slide Guide assembly and retractable magnet. Very cool combo that work synergistically. The magnet wants to pull the blade up from the edge of the table toward the center of the Apex...thus pushing it directly into the Slide Guide which fixes it neatly in place.

Very clever.

Thanks David and Cody for making an already excellent device all the more so. Gonna have to go dull some knives. :cool:

Just wanted to jump back into this thread and mention that I spent a few minutes with the slide guide and magnet system for the Apex within the past hour while I had some time to kill.

Took four knives I use for utility around the house...an Opinel carbon steel paring knife, a small carbon steel Mora, an old, well worn carbon steel German sodbuster, and a small custom fixed blade, (tanto / puukko style), in 3v... and figured I'd just mess around a bit refreshing the edges.

Didn't want to spend a lot of time or make a mess so I just left the Apex on Cody and Ben's favorite setting...21 degrees...and used a "super-fine" diamond hone I bought from Edge Pro years ago. (I think Eze-Lap made them for Edge Pro back then and may still, for all I know.)

In each case I set the blade on the table and tried to accommodate the whole length of the edge with as little overhang as I could, adjusted the slide guide to give me two points of contact with the spine, tightened it down, and then pushed the magnet up into position.

Ran the diamond hone a few times on each side until I was satisfied that the whole edge was sharpened and sliced telephone paper fairly cleanly without snags.

I found that using the slide guide and magnet combo truly enhanced my use of the Edge Pro. The magnet and guide really locked the blades in place allowing me to concentrate on using very light strokes on the edge without the blade shifting or losing my positioning. Sharpening with my weak hand never felt more natural with this system.

I did all four blades in about 15 to 20 minutes total...including testing, and then wiping down and oiling the blades and handles afterward.

Bottom line is that I will be much more inclined to use the Edge Pro now than in the past (since I generally freehand). Especially since I leave mine set up alongside my shop sink anyway where it's out in the open and ready to rock and roll.

Not exhaustive testing but at least it has proven its value for my purposes and represents money well spent.

Hope this may be helpful to some of you.

^^^^ Exactly this. Played with it a bit after receiving the new slide guide and magnet combo and it works very well. Nice additions.

^^^^ Exactly this. Played with it a bit after receiving the new slide guide and magnet combo and it works very well. Nice additions.
I too am very impressed with this great addition, didn’t get the magnet because I had glued a rare earth magnet under the table but the slide worked great!:) I’m going to be using my edge pro apex much more now, thanks to all that had a part in the development of this.;)

Back