Edge Sharpness Tester

I've picked up a lot of tips and information over the years from this forum and I'm trying to return the favor here. I purchased a KN100 edge sharpness tester from Edge On Up (www.edgeonup.com) some time ago and would like to report on my experiences with the instrument. I've thought quite a bit on just how to describe it best to you and this is what I came up with; It's like you have been stumbling around inside a dark room for years and then someone flips on the light switch. If you are interested in knowing as opposed to guessing and estimating how sharp your knife edge is then buy this instrument. It is much more than just a very accurate final sharpness indicator although if that is how you choose to use it then fine. I've been sharpening for decades and have been waiting for about that long for someone to come along with something like this. In conjunction with a good strop (maybe a steel as well but haven't tried it) this instrument will not only tell you if there is a wire edge (burr to some) present but tell you the magnitude of the wire edge as well. It will tell you how you are doing through each stage of your sharpening process and the whole thing is tied to a measurement scale that lets you know where your edge stands in relationship to the sharpness of a razor blade. While I think that anyone could benefit from this instrument I think that beginners and novices might be able to benefit most. When I first started sharpening my own knives I didn't have a clue what I was doing and this instrument would easily have kept me pointed in the right direction. If I do something wrong it tells me. If I do something right it tells me and if I'm spinning my wheels it tells me that too. I muddled my way through years ago but when I think about it now, it just makes me wonder how many young guys and newbies we've lost from our craft because they just got frustrated with not knowing where they were at. I don't pretend to be an expert with this device but I've had a fair amount of experience so if you have a question or comment I'd like to hear it and especially what you think about using an instrument like this as an aide to beginners.

Rupert
Here in Louisiana

Don't know many beginners who will lay out $160 for this tool. I know I would not...I am happy with my edges. They may not split a hair but they'll shave my arm bald.

OTH ... It's an interesting tool. But I would argue that it's better for the pro. You really want to rob the novice of the educational process of trial and error? Sweat equity will produce the end result over time. No matter what the device reveals...it won't sharpen the knife.

But thanks for sharing...my fund of knowledge is a little more complete.

Mike

Last edited:
You can build this yourself for free with a kitchen scale, a cut-of piece of tube and a nylon thread.
Better invest in a 30$ microscope and see what's going on, then shed out 160 bucks for a dust keeper.

Last edited:
Not sure this a great way to advertise your product...posting virtually the same thing on every knife forum pretending to be a customer is not a great way to earn my business

He's not bullshitting, guys. He HAS one of these things. I've been asking a lot of questions, and getting prompt, reasonable answers. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to shell out the cash myself, but I really like the idea of having a reliable, repeatable, CALIBRATED way to compare my edges to each other, and to the edges that other guys are getting!

I'll probably end up with one at some point, myself. :)

There is another thread on this topic:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1282984-Knife-Sharpness-Scale

Interesting to read the "reviews" http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A26ED9LU8OZDJ1/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp
The same fellow "Bob" wrote independent reviews of the two instruments on the same day, neither referencing the other. These are also the only reviews "he" has ever submitted to Amazon.

The instrument does appear to be many steps up from thread taped to a pill bottle on a kitchen scale. The price is a bit high to buy on a whim (they don't sell to Canadians, anyway). It does appear someone has put some thought and effort into this - if it works, the price seems reasonable to me. I would be interested in seeing a video review by someone not involved with the tester or the test media.

My name is Mike Brubacher and I am the majority stock holder of Edge On Up, manufacturers of the EST KN100 and EST SE90 edge sharpness testers and this is the first post I have ever made on Blade Forum. You would have no need of this information if it were not for a previous post that managed to disparage myself, Edge On Up and RLucius all in one sentence. RLucius is one of our first customers and one of the finest gentlemen I've ever had the pleasure of meeting even though the extent of our contact has been limited to phone calls and emails. My skin is pretty thick after thirty years in the instrumentation development business so once this was brought to my attention I would have just let it pass if it had just involved the company or myself but I'm going to have to stand up when someone disseminates falsehoods concerning customers with the character and knowledge base of Mr. Lucius. I assume that this forum exists for the purpose of exchanging opinion and fact concerning knives and related products so I apologize in advance for taking up space with an issue that I see as a personal affront to one of our customers. To that point, this is all I will have to say on the matter and wish you all a pleasant weekend.

Note (Charles Bowersox (CharlieSoxx) is a board member of BESSU and brought this to my attention so the post is under his username)

Last edited:
Hey Charlie: It looks like you have a really interesting product. Why don't to you send or loan one of your units to one of the well-respected reviewers here on the forum so we can all see a thorough, independent review.

Hey Charlie: It looks like you have a really interesting product. Why don't to you send or loan one of your units to one of the well-respected reviewers here on the forum so we can all see a thorough, independent review.

Sir,

For sure, and who do you recommend for doing said reviews?

Rupert

Sir,

For sure, and who do you recommend for doing said reviews?

Rupert

You might want to look at Anderson's thread in the review section. Jim and a number of the regular posters in that thread would be a good place to start.

I will pass the suggestion on to Mike B. since he is the hardware part of the equation in the consumer/manufacturer knife segment of the business but I'm pretty certain I know his answer already. In other words I think that evaluation units are going to be a "done deal". I may be back for more detailed information concerning suggestions for reviewers. Thanks a ton because we didn't know this path existed!

You might want to look at Anderson's thread in the review section. Jim and a number of the regular posters in that thread would be a good place to start.

Visited the http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/718-Knife-Reviews-amp-Testing had never visited that site before - Mr. Ankerson and others do excellent evaluations of blades and etc.

My thoughts are that the EST KN 100 would be the perfect instrument for determining the knife's edge sharpness after slicing and other test that they perform.

A fellow sharpener who resides in NW Arkansas (Bentonville) received his EST KN 100 today (Saturday) will be traveling to North Carolina in early June and maybe it will be possible for NW Arkansas and Mr. Ankerson to meet in Carolina in ref to said (EST KN 100)?

Hope is that a Mechanical Engineer (PE) will step forward - evaluate and write a review of the EST KN 100 for this Forum and interested members like yourself.

My EST KN 100 is available for evaluation and review at anytime.

Again thanks
Rupert
Here in NW Louisiana

Last edited:
Sir
Do you have a telephone and or Email address for jasonP.
Thanks, for your suggestion.

I think he means "Jason B.", a professional sharpener & member of this forum. I can suggest a list of these acknowledged 'resident experts' in addition to Ankerson & Jason mentioned, all is their forum handle: "bluntcut", "HeavyHanded", "unit", "Obsessed With Edges ", "David Martin", "stitchawl", "ohallum", "awestib", IIRC all resides in US and can participate in a pass around .

Chris "Anagarika";14738680 said:
I think he means "Jason B.", a professional sharpener & member of this forum. I can suggest a list of these acknowledged 'resident experts' in addition to Ankerson & Jason mentioned, all is their forum handle: "bluntcut", "HeavyHanded", "unit", "Obsessed With Edges ", "David Martin", "stitchawl", "ohallum", "awestib", IIRC all resides in US and can participate in a pass around .

Chris

Last week I sent an Email to Jason and have received NO response?

Thanks, for your help and as you can see by my number of post in 8 years for sure tells you something, I am grateful to people like you.

Again thanks

Rupert

That's something I'd sure enjoy seeing, particularly in that I could then have a way (when I eventually end up ordering my own) to compare my edges to the numbers that some of the real pros around here get!

Also, seems like offering a couple to professional (or at least commonly-cited) knife reviewers might be a superb option... Both a great tool for them to get some objective numbers after whatever tests they run on the edge, and as a way for your tool to get some exposure, and some decent real-world testing. :)

So, it seems I will be seeing one of these machines very soon.

I spoke with both rlucius and Mike B. today, after a good conversation with both gentleman I have some high hopes for this testing machine. I will reserve judgement until I can use it myself but it might just help to answer the question of many new to intermediate users "how sharp is my knife?"

Chris "Anagarika";14738680 said:
I think he means "Jason B.", a professional sharpener & member of this forum. I can suggest a list of these acknowledged 'resident experts' in addition to Ankerson & Jason mentioned, all is their forum handle: "bluntcut", "HeavyHanded", "unit", "Obsessed With Edges ", "David Martin", "stitchawl", "ohallum", "awestib", IIRC all resides in US and can participate in a pass around .[/QUOT

Chris and singularity 35

Thank you again for the suggestion - several of the names you mentioned are interested and offered their expertise.

I, have no financial interest in Edge On Up and am not receiving and do not expect to receive any monetary value from the Company.

They have a product that is working for me and I know it will work for other sharpeners.

Again, thank both of you
Rupert

Last edited:
Back