Elusive Schrades

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waynorth, Feb 17, 2009.

1. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    It has ulster blades.

At the time it was made schrade and ulster were out of the same factory, and were essentially the same knives. Parts interchanging between the two was common. Think of it like the difference between chevrolet and gmc.

2. peppercorn

peppercorn Regular Dude Gold Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I am curious, does the unusual box and Ulster blade set shed any light on its age, or relative age?

3. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    You're welcome. Im not real sure on exact age but it has delrin handles. It's in the range of early 60's, probably after 1961. Best guess.

knowtracks, waynorth and peppercorn like this.
  4. peppercorn

Jan 31, 2009
    Thank you again, sir.

waynorth likes this.
  5. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Peppercorn, mid 1960s through 1970. In 1971 they switched to a two-piece box instead of the hinged one you have.

6. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I may be mistaken, but it doesn’t seem Schrade cataloged all their knife options. Here’s a couple I haven’t been able to find in their catalog and supplements.

Top is marked SCC and the other is DE. Schrade Cut  French ivory and same Shapleigh 245.jpg

7. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    You definitely aren't mistaken.

wlfryjr likes this.
  8. wlfryjr

wlfryjr Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think this is all, I think :), not all that collectible. 2FE2C654-CAA2-40B4-9817-C866FAC5D4EE.jpeg

navaja, danno50, Jolipapa and 13 others like this.
  9. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    Your wonderful FJ collection, and your dedication to it, boggles the mind, Lyle!!
    And the results are clear!!!:thumbsup:

Jolipapa, paulhilborn and knowtracks like this.
  10. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Hear Hear Charlie.

paulhilborn and knowtracks like this.
  11. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    I've posted this a while ago, but these are new pics!! I love these single-spring, two-blade stockmen!! 4" long, hefty and sturdy, but slim!! Not a Jumbo Jack!!:D
    Great handles on this one, IMO!! SCC single stock 1.jpg SCC single stock 2.jpg SCC single stock 3.jpg SCC single stock 4.jpg SCC single stock 5.jpg k.jpg SCC single stock 6.jpg

navaja, Lostball, glennbad and 17 others like this.
  12. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    Woweee Charlie- that’s an outstanding knife! The bone is incredible- didn’t Schrade know how to do it right eh! Live their Swage work- that Spey is a gorgeous shaped Blade - not to mention of course that lovely Clip - I also like the sleek Serpentine Frame on these as well and being a 4 inch knife - somehow puts into the wee bit more of a treasure!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    waynorth, Jolipapa and paulhilborn like this.
  13. TheChunk91

Aug 15, 2013
    Thank goodness you found my knife Charlie, I have been looking all over for that thing! :eek:

Now if you'll be so kind as to send it on home... :D:D

14. Campbellclanman

Mar 10, 2007
    lol, Paul didnt quite finish his sentence....

To finish off Paul's Quote.....
    " Now if you'll be so kind as to send it on home to Duncan, as I did promise this knife to him, Thanks very much Charlie, Take Care, Paul."

waynorth, Jolipapa and TheChunk91 like this.
  15. Rusty1

Rusty1 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Indeedly superb Charlie! Outstanding sweet jigging for real. Very nice Schrade.

Russell

waynorth and Campbellclanman like this.
  16. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
  17. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Thanks Paul T. and Paul H, Duncan, Russell and Mr. Gev, and all you who "liked" that knife!!
    It's one of my most Elusive and Special SCCs!!:thumbsup::)

navaja, Jolipapa, Gevonovich and 4 others like this.
  18. peppercorn

Jan 31, 2009

There is so much to appreciate about this knife. The one thing I keep looking at the most, in the moment anyway, is the extreme swedge on that clip.
    It’s the most swedge I’ve seen on one of these ‘old’ Schrades. Right down to the top edge of the nail pull and below going forward. Just beautiful and an incredible example of the DNA that moved this particular stockman pattern forward.

Would it be possible to get a picture of that detail from above?

waynorth likes this.
  19. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    To FULLY complete the thoughts of Duncan and Paul....Charlie, send to Paul, so Paul can mail to me and I PROMISE I'll do my utmost to kind of see if I can kinda sorta mail to Duncano_O See...eze peezee:thumbsup::) I have it all figured out:thumbsup::cool:

FULL DISCLOSURE: Mail of late has been a bit unpredictable to NZ:oops:;)

20. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    I got a chuckle out of all those folk who wanted to store that knife in a high humidity area. Kind of silly, but I understand. Now then... the dry air of Wyoming is really ideal for this sort of thing.