Elusive Schrades

When I found this 2004 Anniversary set, I was not thinking about elusive!
This set never went in to production - Schrade closed down in 2004.
I have never seen another set, maybe this is a very elusive set... Ken.
source

When I found this 2004 Anniversary set, I was not thinking about elusive!
This set never went in to production - Schrade closed down in 2004.
I have never seen another set, maybe this is a very elusive set... Ken.
source
I've never seen one either!!:eek: Elusive and nice!!:thumbsup:

It must have been in the sun, for a while... Ken.
source
Most plastic tends to fade, i.e. get lighter in color, when left in the sun for extended periods of time, so I doubt that's it.
Anyway I did some searching and could not find any reference to Schrade making "Cream" sawcut Delrin Heritage knives. I did find a couple of posts of yours, from 2013 and 2016, where you called yours yellow, so if I may ask, what source did you find since 2016 that caused you to change your mind and decide it's cream?
Always willing to learn something.

This Heritage flyer from 1997 calls the trapper yellow.
1997SchradeHeritageFlyer.jpg 1997SchradeHeritageFlyer2.jpg

My little cream 72 knife. Is it Yellow or Cream ?
After looking at all the Yellow and White handled knives in my collection -
My 72 knife is an off-white bone colour, more cream than white, and not yellow.
It is in mint condition, and it has never been out of a knife rap, since 2004.

Schrade introduced the Heritage shield in 1983. Here's one on a LB5 that was made up special to be distributed at that year's National Sales Meeting. It's #25 of how many (?) I've not been able to determine but it functions so well it almost certainly was hand selected. I believe the black WondaWood and nickel silver hardware were not exclusive but rarely used. If anyone has further info, I'd appreciate hearing from you.
ITpzaxU.jpg

Last edited:
That's an 1986 redsparrow redsparrow !!:eek: (you have to look close!). I think your 1983 date is correct!!:)
Thank you Charlie for the clarification. I may need new glasses. The date was difficult for me to see even when you pointed it out. :confused::) Now I need to go back and edit my previous post regarding the LB5. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the quick response and have a marvelous day my friend.

Back in 2003 Schrade started to have some knives made, called the "Badger"
Some Badgers were made in the U.S.A. and some were made in Ireland.
Schrade also had an "SX4 Badger" made in China, to-date only two have turn up.
The SX4 Badger blade, is clearly stamped "Schreade China"
source

source

Last edited:
Those of us who pursue the elusive and even the more commonly found Schrades also enjoy reading about the history of the evolution of the company and it can help us to date the knives, among other things. Every few years I like to post this little piece that I cut and pasted from a seller (from Japan, I believe) who had a Schrade knife for sale you-know-where. Enjoy.

"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.

Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.

That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."

Those of us who pursue the elusive and even the more commonly found Schrades also enjoy reading about the history of the evolution of the company and it can help us to date the knives, among other things. Every few years I like to post this little piece that I cut and pasted from a seller (from Japan, I believe) who had a Schrade knife for sale you-know-where. Enjoy.

"SCHRADE HISTORY: Schrade knives are certainly one involving America’s finest knives whose features received value through nationwide and also the globe at the same time. Founded in 1975 by Stewart Taylor, your Taylor Brand names possess created, allocated and also created high-quality knives which have slept higher than the game. Having its technologically advanced components, carbon metal knives have been the delight involving Schrade knives. Hand-crafted together with utmost detail, Schrade knives have created a name that is certainly regarded all over the world.

Having a number of models to be able to appeal to diverse discerning style, the particular SCHRADE KNIVES customized knives in order to meet the requirements of the buyers who will be either enthusiastic cutlery collectors as well as first-time people that are impressed using its overall performance. Deals with tend to be involving stag, metal, acicular bone, mommy of gem, buffalo grass horn, black and other durable resources that will tolerate fantastic force without suffering appearance. Getting one of these is sure to keep the collection a single chef’s knife seeking much better. Schrade has been supplying knives for civilians and troops likewise going back hundred years ago. However, these people never have usually tried it under the parent firm they are now under. That they used to be an independent company and have already been doing this beyond Ellenville, New York since the year 1904. With regards to three decades previously, they joined up with Jones and Wesson within the father organization Taylor Makes, in the Appalachian mountains of Kingsport, Tennessee. Because his or her brand modified does not always mean Schrade knives have grown to be any a smaller amount capable of ending up being named among the best knives on the market. They have interpreted their unyielding good quality to the modern day manufacturing techniques, bringing about more offered, exceptional knives that any of our fantastic grandparents will be proud to obtain. Unfortunately, it wasn’t constantly an even path with regard to Schrade. Several blade hobbyists scrambled to acquire a common cutlery while that for series. Tiny do they already know Taylor Brands would likely rapidly choose the model upward off the floor, pull out their own graphic, and initiate manufacturing knives below their own industry name once more.

That old Schrade knives, LIKE THIS ONE, tend to be well-known knives using this brand name. It’s been useful for the particular military as well as legislations enforcements due to the sturdiness as well as reliability. It has saw-cut addresses along with dime increases. Additionally, it has an inlay safeguard where the old timers press has become engraved. Considering that the manufacturing involving Schrade knives was halted. There are only a few of those that you can seldom uncover and you’ll need to look up well on the internet and using specialized retailers to get a single Schrade knife."

"... acicular bone, mommy of gem..."
View attachment 1364097

Here are a couple of moose patterns. One's a Schrade Cut Co 71043 salesman's sample, 4 5/16" long, and the other is a 4" Ulster obviously made at Schrade Walden on the 80 stockman pattern. This particular knife is the only two 4" blader like this I've seen from Ulster or Schrade for that matter. It's got a pinned shield and pinned bolsters so I'd put it at roughly the late forties to early fifties time frame. It was one of a number of old Schrade knives I got from the estate of an ex manager and wonder if perhaps it may have been a sample that never reached production. Have any of you Schrade or Ulster aficionados seen one like it?

Schrade Cut Co and Ulster Moose.jpg

Schrade Cut Co and Ulster Moose 2.jpg

Eric

Mr Chips Schrade definitely made the whittler, not Camillus. It's based on the 804 pattern. They didn't use Swinden construction on these, you can see the pin in the bolster for the two smaller blades in the photo.

Eric

Schrade did not make that whittler.
If they had done so, it would not have visible pivot pins.
Schrade made a number of patterns right to the end without Swinden construction. This is one of them. It is a Schrade. Also most of the lockbacks, even some of the smaller ones. The folding hunters had Swinden on the cap end but not the bolster end, as I recall.

Last edited:
Back