Elusive Schrades

Schrade made a number of patterns right to the end without Swinden construction. This is one of them. It is a Schrade.

Really?!
I would love to know which ones they are, and see some more pictures of them.
I know that the single blade lock back folders had pivot pins, and I have some of them, but I was unaware that Schrade actually made ANY multi blade pocket knives that did not use the Swinden construction.
I am wondering why, if this actually was the case, why they wouldn't make the ones they made for Buck with through pins, if it was something that they commonly did.

Really?!
I would love to know which ones they are, and see some more pictures of them.
I know that the single blade lock back folders had pivot pins, and I have some of them, but I was unaware that Schrade actually made ANY multi blade pocket knives that did not use the Swinden construction.
I am wondering why, if this actually was the case, why they wouldn't make the ones they made for Buck with through pins, if it was something that they commonly did.

They made all of their knives pinned until the swinden system began its use in the early 1960’s.

Most of the regular line that survived went to swinden but some stayed pinned like the 804 whittler and the 861 stockman. The 61ot, the old timer variant of the 861, was introduced in 1976 and had pinned construction.

They made all of their knives pinned until the swinden system began its use in the early 1960’s.

Most of the regular line that survived went to swinden but some stayed pinned like the 804 whittler and the 861 stockman. The 61ot, the old timer variant of the 861, was introduced in 1976 and had pinned construction.

Well, I did not know that.

Thanks for the education.

I still wonder about the matter of the Buck knives though.

The early buck 301’s made by schrade were swinden.

Yes, and I understand that Buck found that they couldn't tighten them up after they loosened a bit, (as Swinden constructed knives inevitably do if used with any enthusiasm at all - at least that has been my experience). Buck, according the information I have received, addressed this with Schrade who basically refused to make them with through pins, whereupon Buck went to Camillus who made them the way they wanted them to.
I have had, and used with considerable enthusiasm, Camillus made Bucks, and they are the real deal. When a little slack develops, a couple of taps fixes the problem. I have also had a few Swinden constructed knives, which I sent back to Schrade when they loosened. They were always very helpful, and apologized for the trouble, and sent me new knives. After a few tries of this, I just disassembled the last one they sent me and put through pins in. It gets used a fair bit as a loaner in my whittlin' classes and has been doing fine for over 30 years.

When I could, I always got Camillus knives to sell to my students. I didn't want them to have the same problems.

These can be elusive or hard to find.
source

source

source
Those Loveless drop point hunters!!:eek: praising-the-lord-smiley-emoticon.gif
WOW!

Over the years I have owned and still do own several Schrade knives but for me none as useful for EDC than the USA made 5OT. 3 1/2" closed 6 1/2" open, drop point blade with a lockback that works very well nice rounded belly for great slicing. You can still find these even NOS if you don't have one you should pursue one IMO they are just an excellent all around knife and if you find a green one even better. :D

5hbJucO.jpg

Over the years I have owned and still do own several Schrade knives but for me none as useful for EDC than the USA made 5OT. 3 1/2" closed 6 1/2" open, drop point blade with a lockback that works very well nice rounded belly for great slicing. You can still find these even NOS if you don't have one you should pursue one IMO they are just an excellent all around knife and if you find a green one even better. :D

5hbJucO.jpg
I bought this one new, right after the bankruptcy. Been a safe queen its whole life.
Schrade50T-3.JPG

Eric, absolutely amazing Knives- and what a couple of rare beauties you are so fortunate to have, I am in the mind the best bet of anyone having anything like that would have been our good friend Charlie ( other than yourself ) when it comes to outstanding original Schrades.

Randy and Mike - those faithfuls are great wee Knives!

Rover - thats a great gift from your Uncle- a hard working, Sturdy Knife if ever there was one!

Eric, absolutely amazing Knives- and what a couple of rare beauties you are so fortunate to have, I am in the mind the best bet of anyone having anything like that would have been our good friend Charlie ( other than yourself ) when it comes to outstanding original Schrades

Thank you Duncan! It's pretty hard to get one over on that old pro! :D:D

Eric

I hope you like these... Ken
source

source

source
Indeed I do:cool::thumbsup: Thanks for sharing them. I only have this one, it as close as I'll ever come to a Loveless.
AYP1rJf.jpg

These are very well designed and Schrade did a fantastic job in their execution of them imho. This immediately became my favorite fixed blade bushcraft knife, I still do 90% of my bushcrafting with a large single blade slipjoint lol. Surprisingly thin behind the edge and can become screaming sharp, as evidenced by my pine needle feather stick :p
eNlDhZ9.jpg

Back