Emergency Prep Knives

Hello Everyone,

A local church leader recently asks if I would consider a volunteer position as an emergency preparedness coordinator for the congregation. This morning I accepted the challenge.

The first thing they have asked me to do is rewrite their preparedness plan so it is simpler to use and understand. They would like it as a one-page summary. I can't really say if that is is feasible yet. I have until June to figure it out. I can also tell you that at some point there will be a push for church members to plan, train and equip themselves but that should start sometime after the first of June.

It is way too early for these sort of questions but, what the heck, I'll do it anyway. The reason I am posting here is to ask what type of knives you folks carry in your emergency gear and why? Do you have more than one? What type of steel? What were your requirements before you made the choice that you did? Have you had to use your gear and did it meet your needs? Etc.

Thanks.

A stout fixed blade of quality stainless steel, with a finger guard preferred, and a small or no choil. Blade length between 5 1/2-7 1/2 inches. Non metal scales.

That always meets whatever need I’ve ever had for a knife.

My BOB's have a hatchet (entry tool as well as wood processing), mora (general heavyish knife use), a swiss army knife (every day tasks), and a multitool (mostly for the pliers and file). Sometimes I don't even bother with the mora. It's mostly trade fodder but still useful.

It's a church, not a SWAT team so you may want to plan accordingly as knife steel probably isn't a priority. Maybe some evacuation protocol and general safety guidelines. Perhaps a member or two will be permitted concealed carry or something. Not a Rambo scenario imo.

Your average person should probably carry something like a multitool (e.g. Leatherman Wave) and a stainless steel food prep knife. Full size felling axe wouldn't hurt, maybe folding saw.

If you have to outfit your bug out bag / get home bag from scratch, start off with a Mora Companion or the equivalent, and get the rest of your gear together - food, water, shelter, first aid. The Mora is $20 or so max, and is enough knife to function as a knife and not so much that people think it's a prybar / axe.

It's a church, not a SWAT team so you may want to plan accordingly as knife steel probably isn't a priority. Maybe some evacuation protocol and general safety guidelines. Perhaps a member or two will be permitted concealed carry or something. Not a Rambo scenario imo.
Evacuation protocols and safety guidelines are in the works or already in place. I just don't know them yet. I still need to ask questions and be trained so I am up to speed on what's in place.

We did discuss having church members create their own evac plans for their families and setting up their own individual bug out bags. This is why I asked the knife question in the first place. I figured the wisdom from the members here is much better than what I can offer.

Your average person should probably carry something like a multitool (e.g. Leatherman Wave) and a stainless steel food prep knife. Full size felling axe wouldn't hurt, maybe folding saw.
I like the idea of a stainless steel food prep knife and a multi-tool. An axe and saw both have merit.

Evacuation protocols and safety guidelines are in the works or already in place. I just don't know them yet. I still need to ask questions and be trained so I am up to speed on what's in place.

We did discuss having church members create their own evac plans for their families and setting up their own individual bug out bags. This is why I asked the knife question in the first place. I figured the wisdom from the members here is much better than what I can offer.

How about a metric butt ton of non perishable food and water + toilet paper because generally in situations where people are needing to use a bug out bag people are running towards churches and such places for shelter.

How about a metric butt ton of non perishable food and water + toilet paper because generally in situations where people are needing to use a bug out bag people are running towards churches and such places for shelter.
This article is good reading along those lines: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-...en-beret-instead-of-a-doomsday-prepper_022013

FEMA, believe it or not, has a good list of stuff you should have for emergencies: https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
as does the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/prepareyourhealth/PersonalNeeds.htm

I set up a camping/go bag for my son.

Stainless fixed blade like a Mora or Buck 119. Easy to sharpen and maintain.
Stainless folder with locking blade.

I passed on a multitool in lieu of a small pair of side cutters and pliers, and two medium screwdrivers from HF.
Over the years, I've found multitools work better in pockets for extremely light tasks, but when I actually need a tool they fall short.

As an Emergency Manager myself, I would recommend that the first thing you do it create a threat matrix. You can find models on line, but in a nutshell, it is an X/Y grid with likelihood and impact. Plot the threats on this matrix, and make your response plan accordingly.

Then, and only then, can you appropriately choose the necessary gear, as the mission drives the gear. Don't fall into the trap of gearing up because it's what you know and like.

If you'd like any specific help in this area, feel free to PM me, or ask here.

Laugh all you want about the name, but the advice is not dumb.

Emergency preparedness is not dumb at all. The militia "us against the sheeple" motif is whats dumb. I read the article and grazed over the other content. Flat earther climate denyer type stuff. Its hard to take it seriously.

Emergency preparedness is not dumb at all. The militia "us against the sheeple" motif is whats dumb. I read the article and grazed over the other content. Flat earther climate denyer type stuff. Its hard to take it seriously.
I'm not vouching for the content of the rest of the site either, sooooo? Read the article, evaluate what it's saying for yourself, discard what's inappropriate. The fundamentals remain the same: there is strength in numbers, time spent on preparation & networking is rarely wasted, etc.

Gerber Strongarm + Mora HD + Corona Folding saw usually. Solid, inexpensive choices and relatively light in weight for the bundle.

Most people on this site are going to have a few fixed blades to choose from compared to your congregation.

Like Spark said earlier, a Mora is a great place to start for the average person and priced right. Basic model is about $8 and the HD is $20.

As for the rest of the kit, that changes due to seasons and locations. Shelter, water, food, medical, and communications are high on the list.

This article is good reading along those lines: http://www.thedailysheeple.com/why-...en-beret-instead-of-a-doomsday-prepper_022013

FEMA, believe it or not, has a good list of stuff you should have for emergencies: https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit
as does the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/cpr/prepareyourhealth/PersonalNeeds.htm

Great article. Running away solo to the mountains or bomb shelter is fine for an expedient temporary strategy but you can’t survive like that.

I get this is basically an escape plan for getting people out of the church.

sabre cat sabre cat best thing you can probably do is drill people on getting out row by row quickly but organized without trampling one another. Put the majority of shooters by the back likely by the largest entrance to create cover for fleeing occupants. Have some secondary shooters by the smaller side/back entrances incase someone comes from that side. Shooters should never be firing over the ducking/fleeing crowd. Usually only lone psychos attack churches so it is very unlikely you will face a situation where you have to guard both entrances at once.

People should be drilled to flee out of either front or the back and there should be some way to signal which exit they need to take in the confusion.

That’s probably about as good as it can get.

Back