1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Emergency Prep Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sabre cat, Mar 3, 2019.

1. collector rob

collector rob

Jun 3, 2011
    I am not a Mormon, But I was in a Boy Scout troop sponsored by a Mormon church, and they didn't mess around. They take their prepping seriously. Even before it was the cool thing to do.:cool:

2. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Agreed.

I woke up about three in the morning. I've spent the last hour looking through the manual and website. I can't say that I have put a dent in either one.

3. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    It is my understanding that it was recently announced that the LDS church and BSA were going their separate ways. I am not really sure why. I know that BSA has gotten very PC the last few years and the church has stated that the Scouting programs are not really meeting the needs of the young men in the church.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I used to do that for a large Methodist Church and for our district churches in Florida when I lived there. Here's a link to a sample plan that pretty much follows the guidelines the Methodist Church uses for local church and district-wide disaster preparedness. It does have a list of recommended equipment somewhere in the middle and the manual is not overly long. They aren't selling anything so I think it's OK to post the link.

http://shenpres.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/SampleChurch.pdf

StickThis and sabre cat like this.
  5. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks.

6. StickThis

StickThis

Mar 12, 2019

I’d also go with stainless companion. It’s a good blade, but most people are going to stick them in a drawer / car / pack and not use them unless a need arises. A stainless Companion is the perfect balance here. Zero maintenance, useable sheath (usually), and capable for 90% of regular knife jobs.

Sabrecat - you can pick up a Mora Companion from many sources ranging from online knife shops to Amazon for under $20.

CanadaKnifeGuy and BOSS1 like this.
  7. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think it can be done in one page. Probably a table or double table with a list of things.... 3-7 days food, generator, knife, heat source for winter months, gasoline, and so forth. A Mora works for this, but there is a lot of personal preference involved. Firearm, SAK and multi-tool too.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  8. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    For kits that will be bought and built, or that are going to be lists, I like the mora, but for a different reason than stated so far. They are sharp out of the box, and are known to be. So you don't have to worry about tuning it up. LB Rebar is a good value tool, tougher than the cheap ones, but not break the bank expensive, and a good mix of tools.
    Other gear. I know lots of guys like hatchets. But I'm not a fan of suggesting them to people who have not used them before. They are the sort of thing that people think is easy, but tend to hurt themselves with. Saws are better for rookies.

As for the aside on LDS and BSA, probably has more to do with the BSA wanting to keep its reach as wide as possible, and not wanting the baggage of troops that are more tied to a church body. Sad fact is that all churches are pretty bad at child protection, and are no longer a selling point. The BSA won't get any favors if they make even a slight mistake. Everything both do is seen with wider motivations, the reality is likely very simple. Could also be that the LDS want to start their own group, many denominations have them, like the Adventists. So I wouldn't read too much into the motivations, they are almost always simpler than the pundits claim.

9. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    If a person doesn't already have a knife they probably lack the skill to handle one outside of the kitchen. I agree with the Mora if you have to choose.
    I would think you would start with supplies that will be needed at the church when the members start showing up. Give some thought to how many people will be there. How long will they stay? Other than the obvious water, food, and blankets what will they need? Don't overlook simple things like toilet paper, soap, toothbrushes/tooth paste, deodorant, and other hygiene products(for women and babies). Does the church already have toys, games, and books to keep the children occupied? Are the members close enough to the church to communicate with two-way radios? I know a few bear hunters who are very happy with the performance of the cheap radios they buy from the big online website for less than $15 each including chargers. Does the church have an emergency generator and fuel storage? I think a well thought out preparedness plan can be a good thing for your church if handled properly. Like most groups it will probably be a challenge for you to get a consensus on any idea that involves $
    Best of luck:thumbsup:

10. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    For those of you that have responded, a very big thank you. If things go as planned (they rarely do) I should have a better idea of what's going on after I speak with church leaders today. It was going to be last week but things got delayed. Would not surprise me if it happens again. There is a lot going on.

fishiker likes this.
  11. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Well, I was right, things did not go as planned but, I did get to speak with someone long enough to find out how things are structured and that we badly need an updated list of church members with special needs and what emergency resources our local members may have.

12. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    Esse 6 would for sure be in my bug-out bag

13. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011

As a person who works in a risk management related field, I think both of these posts are excellent. Developing a threat (or risk) matrix is a great idea but the concept that Risk = threat (or likelihood) x impact is a tough one for non-risk people to catch up to sometimes. I recommend starting with threats (likelihoods) at a strategic or high level and then drilling down to more tactical or low level threat by way of decomposition.

This said, risk is also deeply tied to cognitive psychology which is deeply tied to social psychology and you can different stakeholders from different social/cultural groups with wildly different unspoken perceptions of threat. I'm imagining facilitating that discussion at our church and can't imagine getting consensus on anything.

So, as a former and many time church board member I'll add that this sort of thing is difficult among professionals and my experiences on church boards is they don't tend to be bastions of clear, level-headed, rational thinking. Just sayin'.

Bringing this around to knives, as much as I like Mora Companions, I would pick the Buck Bucklite Max Large fixed blade for this application. I think it's hollow grind will be more familiar to more people, will be plenty big and tough for about any task one can reasonably attempt with a fixed blade and will be easier to maintain for most US folks.

[​IMG]

sabre cat and Spark like this.
  14. StickThis

StickThis

Mar 12, 2019
    The truth is that for this type of

It’s natural that people like us will probably go to discussing knives / multitools / guns first... but they’re a small part of a much bigger job. The conversation on helping special needs / elderly people, food & water, hygiene, shelter, mutual assistance - is probably more important.

sabre cat likes this.
  15. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Thanks for in input. You just might have given me a hint as to what I'm up against.

The Buck is a good idea. I had not thought about one of their fixed blades.

16. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    Is the idea that (1) every family buys an individual set of emergency gear (and every family buys roughly the same stuff), or (2) that the church buys a communal pool of gear, that is kept at the church, and that can be divvied up during an emergency or otherwise provided to those who congregate at the church on an as-needs basis?

sabre cat likes this.
  17. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Hey, I'd be happy if I could get everyone to have a written bug out plan. That's going to be a challenge in itself.
    Gaining church members trust so that they offer information about personal needs and resources is another mountain to climb.

18. sabre cat

Jul 4, 2014
    Great question.

Considering that I am starting to see a push for members to be self-sufficient, my guess is that families are expected to provide for themselves, if possible. Then the church may ask to pool resources from members willing to share in times of severe need.

I can tell you that I have received a three-page Emergency Plan summery and it states that all families are expected to assemble and maintain a 72-hour kit and home/auto first aid kits.

Does this answer your question?

19. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Have them read One Second After by William Fortstchen for world changing emergency. It is an emergency that is almost impossible to prepare for a normal person. Scary scenario.

StickThis likes this.
  20. BOSS1

BOSS1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Some varying perspectives there. Basically seems something along the lines of shelter-in-place at home with the church offering as support base. Things like winter weather or power outages. But of course the displacement (ie. 'Bug out')...think California wild fires...also needs consideration. Lots of variables and resources.

Bottom line, a little bit of prep work before its needed (when you have the luxury of time) can go a long way. Any cutting tools will most likely be considered from a light, compact, easily packable, inexpensive mindset for the non-knife folks.

Knife-types will be like 'Zombie apocalypse?!?! Finally!! Now...do I take the Becker BKT9 or Busse Battle Mistress? For the pouch...Sebenza or XM18? I know! BOTH!!! Bring it!!' :)

Boss