1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Emergency Prep Knives

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sabre cat, Mar 3, 2019.

1. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    Here's another church emergency response plan to consider. This one claims to be based on several inputs like FEMA best practices and is designed as a starting place template.
    http://www.communitycouncilstc.org/storage/COADinfo/faith based template final.pdf

Of particular interest (to me) is that Appendix 5 provides an example of a threat x impact risk matrix, as discussed earlier in the thread. My only addition to the risk analysis matrix would be to add consideration of mission impact. The church has, or should have, a different mission in the face of a disaster than, say, a local bank or fast food joint. I would ask the church to clearly define its mission for each threat and then add a colum to the matrix for mission impact. Again, the goal of the risk matrix is to identify threats with HIGH likelihood and HIGH impact.

Another aspect of this template that I think is good is that it assumes that the local church is part of a larger network of responders, including denominational structructures and local, state and national responders. I've heard some of the after-action read-outs from the Boston Marathon bombing response and it's been repeatedly emphasized that the fast response on all levels was a direct result of table-top exercises that a) identified a broad set of responding organizations, b) built up trust between them and c) exercised communication channels. Any disaster that affect a local congregation to the extent of needing a response plan will also affect its neighbors, so I think part of loving our neighbors will have have to include coordination with local and state emergency response planners.

One thing you all might want to give careful consideration to is whether or not to allow your church building to be designated as a Red Cross emergency shelter. My understanding is if an emergency is declared and the Red Cross comes in, the congregation will effectively give up control of the building for the duration of the event and that you shouldn't expect to get the building back in the same condition.

It is at this point that my father, who worked in Christian service most of his career would quip that "Christian organization" is an oxymoron. The first is a call to self-sacrifice and the second, to self-preservation. This is why I think it's so critical to explicitly name what the mission of church is for each threat scenario.

Last comment... I think "bug out bag" isn't a helpful name. I would think more along the lines of a "You've just become an environmental disaster refugee bag". This seems to me to be most realistic need for a go bag.

I would love to hear more as this unfolds.

If the mods think its more appropriate, perhaps this thread goes to the survival sub-forum?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Good point.

3. John_0917

John_0917 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Serrated Spyderco Salt, either the 2 or the Pacific depending on the size you want. Their cutting power is pretty much unmatched by anything out there at the same size, also rust proof of course.

4. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    We have a survival sub-forum? I did not know that.

I guess can fill you in on some stuff as it unfolds. I don't see any reason why not. Right now, I can't really tell you much that has not already been stated above. The church's plan has a base core response for all disasters: Communication and security, first-aid, shelter, food/clothing/water.

Other responses specific to each disaster listed below:

a. Flood/fire- evacuation.
    b. Earthquake- Secure fire hazards/gas/electricity, rescue victims.
    c. Toxic spill/release- Evacuation or shelter-in-place.
    d. Refugee impact from disaster elsewhere.
    e. Major social/infrastructure disruption.

Most of the above is word for word from church's our current response plan. I don't really know very much yet. There are plans for me to meet with church leadership sometime in May. That should give me time to set up a membership roster listing special needs of the members. It is badly needed.

I can tell you that most of the people I have spoken to already are lacking in their evac planning and preparedness. I, as of yet, have not spoken to one person that has a written evac plan. Not one. This even includes some of our county leaders that are considered experts and have had open house style preparedness meetings for the public. Personally, I think those meetings were all about public relations and getting our county leaders re elected.

Oh, btw, thank you for your ideas and opinions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  5. Currawong

Currawong Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2012
    I think the issue of sharing would be critical in a serious crisis. Not everyone will prepare adequately, no matter what you do. Many others will prepare but then will lose things over time, or not be able to find where they stored all their preps in the stress and rush of an emergency. Some stuff will go off or get moldy, things will get lost or used over time. Some people may even lose their houses (and therefore all their preps) to a fire, flood, etc.

So during an emergency, you'll probably end up with 50% of people with all their preps in place, and the other 50% will be missing a lot or have nothing at all on them. In times like that, everyone shares. So if your family has prepped to have just enough for themselves, but then has to share 50% of it, suddenly you only have half what you need.

In summary there might be a benefit in having a communal store of supplies that won't be lost, and will be maintained properly. Basic things like blankets, camp mattresses, nappies, tampons, toilet paper, bottles of drinking water, freezer bags and garbage bags, tarps, ropes, etc. Throw in an axe, a saw, a couple of survival knives, a comprehensive first aid kit, a satellite phone, etc.

Just an idea to throw in the mix.

6. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    That’s assuming that everyone does as requested. I can see the number of individuals prepared much lower than that.

As for on site storage, I like the idea but, I don’t know what the policy is. That is a very good thing to bring up in one of our meetings.

My wife works for the state and they have stored supplies at her workplace. At least they used too. No telling what they have with all the budget cuts.

Many of the places that had Civil Defense signs up when I was young; have removed them or they have been stolen. It’s my understanding that FEMA replaced the CD program. Also, I’ve been told that CD was disbanded because of treaties with the USSR.