Emerson Replies to Emerson Woes

Dear Members,

I have received the knives from MOhunter 92. Yes, Justin I have read your note, and I am taking charge of this personally. Here’s where I am at. And I am not happy.

First, I would like to know where you purchased the knives. That’s who I would have contacted first and returned the knives to them for replacement or refund, if there were “problems” with the knives.

Second, I’m going to let you in on a little basic investigative philosophy and experience. In the world that I come from, and any law enforcement or intelligence officers will agree, I don’t believe in coincidences.

Third, I have looked at the CQC-10 and there is no blade rock. Whatever your definition of “blade rock” may be, I don’t see it. Further, I had 3 of our staff inspect the knife and they also agreed. We don’t see it.

After disassembling the knife I noticed that there are a number of bright, round, marks around 8 of the holes where screws had missed the holes and had rubbed indentations into the liner around the holes due to miss-alignment in assembly- including the clip holes where the screw broke off. I guarantee that this did not happen in our assembly process as the knives are put together with pins assuring perfect alignment during assembly. Now, after removing the broken clip screw, which was truly mangled, I ran 7 or 8 random screws through that same hole. Every one threaded in and out perfectly. The screw that broke off was cross- threaded and forced into the hole, that’s why it broke off. Our torque drivers are micro-adjustable and are not set high enough to force a cross threaded screw into a threaded hole, that’s why we use torque drivers and why they’re set to a light torque power. Someone, somewhere, cross-threaded the screw.

Also on the CQC-10, the detent spring was “un-bent” to produce a very weak detent. Since we measure the bend height with a dial indicator gauge during the pre-assembly process I can say this, the detent spring is bent .020 lower than our standard height, a reduction of over 30% of the standard.

Now, on to the Roadhouse that I have received. My first impression is that there is zero detent-nothing. Second impression, the blade pivot is extremely loose and there is significant side to side play. As a result, the blade basically drops out of the closed position with a small, weak, flick of the wrist. The liner travels over to just past mid-point, but does not fail and there is no blade rock, except side to side as I’ve already mentioned, again verified by several of our techs. Now, before I even take the knife apart, I will tell you, the pivot is not adjusted to our standards, and someone, somewhere, has done something to the detent.

Let’s see what else I find when I open this Roadhouse up.

As I thought, the detent tab was unbent, almost to zero. Now, you must understand, the tab cannot “un bend” when it is inside the knife. It is physically impossible. So, once again, someone, somewhere messed with the knife. Also I noticed the same round, screw spots around the drilled and tapped holes, so once again, someone, somewhere, had difficulty aligning the knife after it had been taken apart.

So here we are. What am I going to do for Justin, Mohunter92? Well, I’m going to fix the knives. And they will be the same as the knife I carry in my pocket. But, I’m not going to replace good parts with new parts. And I’m not going to give anyone any free stuff for their “troubles” especially when they imply that they are owed or “deserve” something, and even more so, especially after diagnosing what the actual, alleged, problems really were, or “weren’t.”

So, what was actually “wrong” with these knives?

CQC-10
1. Broken screw that “someone” cross-threaded.
2. Detent modified and weakened.
3. Blade rock?-none.

Roadhouse
1. Detent modified, non-existent.
2. Lock travels ½ way - wear on lock face shows a lot of use, perhaps a lot of “waving.” My Commander travels farther than half way and it is a knife I would carry into combat.
3. Blade rock?-none.

Are these problems factory defects? Are these problems?

Now to you Justin. When I said I’m pissed off, it’s not at you. And if you think I’m being harsh well, since you brought your “issues” to a public forum that’s where I am addressing them. Again I ask; where did you buy those knives? Give me the name and I will contact them if they wouldn’t refund your purchase money. Where did you buy them? If you bought them in a brand new condition from a reputable dealer and they truly were, brand new, out of the box, that only leads me to one conclusion and I won’t go there. So you see I’m not being harsh.

What I am pissed off about is that once again, posts such as yours seem to bring a lot of Emerson haters out of the woods, ready to jump in with immediate indictments of our knives, our customer service, and collaterally of me. So there you have it, without even hearing the other side of the story, they can’t seem to wait to jump in and bash away.

In the end, to all of you, whether you are customers of ours or not, but are willing to give us the courtesy of saying, wait a minute there’s something about this that just doesn’t seem right, a mature and rational position, I say thank you for the courtesy and civility of your comments. To all the others who just like to hit and run, I need to be civil too, I guess, so I will just say, go ahead and hit me with your best shot.

Justin, your knives went out to you today.

My Best Regards,

Ernest Emerson

Last edited:
Nothing surprising here. I've owned over a dozen Emerson knives and have never had an issue. There's no other folding knife I put on my rig. Period.

Now, on to the Roadhouse that I have received. My first impression is that there is zero detent-nothing. Second impression, the blade pivot is extremely loose and there is significant side to side play. As a result, the blade basically drops out of the closed position with a small, weak, flick of the wrist. The liner travels over to just past mid-point, but does not fail and there is no blade rock, except side to side as I’ve already mentioned, again verified by several of our techs. Now, before I even take the knife apart, I will tell you, the pivot is not adjusted to our standards, and someone, somewhere, has done something to the detent.

Let’s see what else I find when I open this Roadhouse up.

As I thought, the detent tab was unbent, almost to zero. Now, you must understand, the tab cannot “un bend” when it is inside the knife. It is physically impossible. So, once again, someone, somewhere messed with the knife. Also I noticed the same round, screw spots around the drilled and tapped holes, so once again, someone, somewhere, had difficulty aligning the knife after it had been taken apart.

I'm confused about one thing Mr. Emerson: you refer to "shiny spots around the drilled and tapped holes" on the Roadhouse, but from the pictures it appears to be a standoff model. Are there tapped liners on those?

Last edited:
Oh boy. While I completely agree with everything said here, I did not cross thread anything and the 10 does have vertical play. If I can grab the blade, and move it back and forth vertically then it has play in my book. My super 7 returned to me is perfect.

I bought the knives from blade hq, new graham, and knife center. I have not made a single adjustment or modification to a single part on any knife that would compromise any structural integrity.

If you read my note mr Emerson, you would have seen where I bought each blade because I mentioned it. I did not try to return any blades, I liked them and just wanted them fixed.

I am a huge fan of yours, and have not done anything to these knives that could even come close to misuse or ignorance while taking apart for cleaning. Straight from your factory the screws were like that when I removed them.

I left all of my contact info in my note, while I appreciate your reply on the forum, you have made me out to be someone who is either overly picky or ruined the knives myself. I would like to discuss this over the phone, not on a forum.

These knives did not come to me acceptable whatsoever besides the mini 15 or super 7. They had excessive play and the roadhouse did fail on me, I don't know how you could say it did not unless I misread your post.

Again, I am a huge fan and loyal customer and I feel like this post was a bit dramatic. Please call me when you can mr Emerson. If they come back indeed with no play and solid then I will be very satisfied with how this was handled. Thank you for promptly getting them back, I do appreciate it more than you know.

If you decide to call me, I will send receipts from each dealer to you and discuss things in more detail. Have a good weekend.

Last edited:
I used to be in business but I am glad I am out of it. There is way too much dishonesty today. This quote is not directed at the OP.
Ernest- Keep your wits. I have an idea what you are gong through in running a business these days.
OP- I do believe Ernest will make this situation right.
rolf

I used to be in business but I am glad I am out of it. There is way too much dishonesty today. This quote is not directed at the OP.
Ernest- Keep your wits. I have an idea what you are gong through in running a business these days.
OP- I do believe Ernest will make this situation right.
rolf

Well, I am a business owner and I know dishonesty. I deal with it every day. I pride myself on being honest, not that anyone here obviously would know or believe.

I have not falsified or exaggerated anything I have said and I feel let down by this reply halfway, but I am satisfied at the same time. I didn't modify anything with these, so you tell me.

I'll wait for mr Emerson to contact me if he wants.

Well I appreciate Emerson's post because it explains some of the details of production EKI goes into when making and repairing knives which is cool. I'm upset that all to often when I see an Emerson post it's him addressing an issue someone had with a knife that turns out to not be something EKI is responsible for. The Emerson sub-forum is the only place on BF where it's the accepted norm to come in and bash the product and the manufacturer. All to often when I see a post that starts with "For the price emerson knives / I'll never buy (an / another) emerson because..." I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to read the words of an ignorant person whose ether blatantly bashing a product or criticisng some aspect of it that doesn't actually matter in the real world.

Well I appreciate Emerson's post because it explains some of the details of production EKI goes into when making and repairing knives which is cool. I'm upset that all to often when I see an Emerson post it's him addressing an issue someone had with a knife that turns out to not be something EKI is responsible for. The Emerson sub-forum is the only place on BF where it's the accepted norm to come in and bash the product and the manufacturer. All to often when I see a post that starts with "For the price emerson knives / I'll never buy (an / another) emerson because..." I know I'm pretty much guaranteed to read the words of an ignorant person whose ether blatantly bashing a product or criticisng some aspect of it that doesn't actually matter in the real world.

I do find it surprising that I have never seen the manufacturer admit fault with any of the common problems that pop up with Emerson knives.

Last edited:
I was not bashing, if you see my posts you will see I am a genuine Emerson fan. I love the knives I'm carrying my super 7 right now. It has no blade play, unlike the 10 that came back to me. I am upset that mr Emerson said it was not his company that was responsible for the defects. It certainly was not me, maybe it could have been the dealer but I know for a damn fact I did nothing with them and they are brand new.

I am happy with what I paid for on my super 7 and mini 15. For mr Emerson to say that my 10 had no blade play and my roadhouse didn't fail on me I find unacceptable. The roadhouse I did not wave at all, maybe a couple times. The lock bar moved way over one day recently and I take very good care of my knives.

It did have lock rock and failed with any pressure on the spine until the lock bar shifted over. So I hope that's fixed even though Ernest found that knife to have "no blade play or failure" cause it most certainly failed.

Mr. Emerson,

Your knives and your outstanding service are well known. I have more Emerson's than most.. I know with 150% certainty that if I EVER had a problem, the Emerson team would make it right!

I am blessed to be able to afford just about any knife.. I carry Emerson's because I love how the feel in my hand. They hold an edge, easy to sharpen, and are backed by the BEST customer service in the business.

I own 12 different models currently.. Asking me which one is my favorite,is like asking me which one of my kids are my favorite!!

I really don't understand why Emerson's are so polarizing to some people..

From what I get lets think about this scenario: WHAT IF, someone bought those Emersons first, open them up,did what they did and returned them for a refund? Do you think BQ, NG or KC would have the knowledge, expertise or time to go over every single returned knife and inspect every screw or realized they were taken apart?
Then they were sold "as new" but actually they have been modified which means is not EKIs fault nor the OP.....
This is my take assuming both are telling the truth (why not right?)

I think that if EKI makes a policy with their seller companies that no returns are accepted, MAYBE they have higher chances of people not returning taken apart knives? just thinking out loud...

That was a good post, BBW.
I bet more companies will rethink their return policies now.
rolf

Nothing wrong with the return policies. It should be standard procedure, though, that with any return, the dealer takes at least a quick look at the knife. Sending it back to EKI for a tune up at that point would save everyone grief.

Mr. Emerson,

New to the forum here (at least at posting) and I for one will be purchasing one if not more of your knives. Don't worry when people bash. You make a good product and some times you just have to have faith that it will all work itself out in the mix. Your knives speak for themselves.

I once bought a factory new complete upper for an AR-15 that ended up being a lemon out of the box. It was from a reputable manufacturer that touted it's guns as "mil-spec" hard use guns that will stand up through torture tests and so on. Well the thing constantly had weak primer strikes and through extensive testing using various lowers, ammo, etc. it was clear that the problem was the upper, and likely a gas port related issue. After jumping through a bunch of hoops and sending the gun back twice to the company it got resolved. Was not a pleasant experience for me and they claimed it wasn't their fault.

The point of the story is there were a lot of uppers and completes offered by this company that I found to be very cool and sexy designs. Just as the gentleman here found your knives to be.… But did I go back and buy another upper from this company?? Hell no! And if for some reason I did buy a second upper, and experienced similar issues again, I sure as hell wouldn't have gone back TWO MORE times to buy uppers while continuing to have issues with each upper I bought!

I don't care how much I dig their designs. This is just plain odd and peculiar behavior. Isn't the definition of insanity repeatedly running your head against the same wall and expecting different results? Very, very fishy in my opinion…

Anyway, I live relatively close by and look forward to coming down to the emerson shop next week to feel them all out before I make my decision. Keep up the good work and the orders will keep coming through!

From what I get lets think about this scenario: WHAT IF, someone bought those Emersons first, open them up,did what they did and returned them for a refund? Do you think BQ, NG or KC would have the knowledge, expertise or time to go over every single returned knife and inspect every screw or realized they were taken apart?
Then they were sold "as new" but actually they have been modified which means is not EKIs fault nor the OP.....
This is my take assuming both are telling the truth (why not right?)

I think that if EKI makes a policy with their seller companies that no returns are accepted, MAYBE they have higher chances of people not returning taken apart knives? just thinking out loud...

The way they came to me brand new this definitely could be true. The 10 and roadhouse were unacceptable out the box, I liked them so I just decided to have them fixed.

Back