Emerson Sheepdog Flipper lacking detent

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR88, your post made me laugh. I'm Sorry if I came across as bashing you. I'm just tired of people who come in here and bash the knives without giving EKI a chance to make it right. Does the knife in the video look bad? Yes it does. Did the OP do something to it? IDK. Is it defective ? Maybe. Will EKI make it right ? Yes they will. At least that has been my experience and what I have researched.

What if I went into the Strider forum, where you had never seen me before and started bashing Strider with all the same old stuff you have heard over and over before? The only thing is that EKI is known for going above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

Anyway , everyone have a Great Easter and use your knives!

PS, Leftytwogunz if I offended you or if you felt like I bashed you, I apologize.

I couldn't agree more with your post.

I never bashed Emerson.
I tried to help the OP, and I was honestly taken back by the initial reaction of 'EmersonREP' (I know now that he isn't one)

Read this thread, like too many, it's full of mis-guided hate, and just a general lack of understanding of the situation.

I will never understand why there is such a negative reaction to an entire brand over one knife with apparent issues.
It's not the first Emerson that's had issues, it won't be the last.

This goes for any brand.

Personal attacks, and seizing the opportunity to attack other brands does nothing for this thread or the community as a whole, hence my response to your Strider comment.

PM exchange between ER and myself. We will see what happens, I appreciate his PM.

I guess it's difficult to determine the "tone" a post intends. I didn't try to "treat you like a fool".

I just want someday to see and maybe buy EKI with fit and finish like Spyderco Sage and not overbuilt like ZT models. Happy Easter. ;)

JR88, your post made me laugh. I'm Sorry if I came across as bashing you. I'm just tired of people who come in here and bash the knives without giving EKI a chance to make it right...

What if I went into the Strider forum, where you had never seen me before and started bashing Strider with all the same old stuff you have heard over and over before? The only thing is that EKI is known for going above and beyond when it comes to customer service.

Anyway , everyone have a Great Easter and use your knives!

PS, Leftytwogunz if I offended you or if you felt like I bashed you, I apologize.

Everyone please just remember that this thread was in General knife discussion and that's how some of us found it. We didn't enter the Em forum to find something to bash.

S.T.R. I'm not offended at all man. I took some time to think about it, and we are all really brothers still interested in the same things. Just because we like/support different brands we all want the ability and right to carry a knife in our pocket as we see fit, and lucky for us there are many brands out there to suit all of our wants/needs/price points etc.

You guys all have a good Easter.

P.S. Officer's Match I appreciate how calm, cool and collected you were through out the whole thing. I wish we could all learn to keep our cool a little better, you are a good example. V/R L2g

I just want someday to see and maybe buy EKI with fit and finish like Spyderco Sage and not overbuilt like ZT models. Happy Easter. ;)

Check them out again when the opportunity presents (like if you're ever in Lancaster, Ohio :) ); I've yet to receive a 2013 or newer Emerson that was anything less than excellent in F&F.

I posted earlier and expected the EmersonRep to make things right--looks like we are on that track. To echo OM--I've bought 6 Emersons, all 2013 and newer, and all were in tip top shape. Too bad that problematic ones slip through, but I guess it happens. I like the notion expressed earlier, that we are all brothers here, with a shared interest and passion. Enjoy Easter everyone, if you are of the faith, and enjoy your Sunday regardless... I'm carving up grilled lamb... Dark beer on ice...

Last edited:
Well, the bottles, not the beer! Working our way up to whiskey...:D

Happy Easter everyone, Its good to see this getting resolved despite all the tit for tat jibber jabber.

Using that line of logic you can't even think for yourself...

Do you call up Emerson every time you have a question and ask them to tell you what to think?

If you have been around knives long enough, like most folks here, you can tell if something is broke or not.

1 Emerson rep being blunt makes sense. People went from comments on the knife to trashing the brand (which is a jump) not to mention the fact that IMO more communication other than the initial contact should have been made.

2 OM is right on point in saying that the knife should be inspected by those who make it before determining anything. THEY MAKE THE KNIFE, they know what is and is not wrong as well as defective. Not to mention that in a customer support role that's generally how replacements go. Procedures are there for a reason.

1 Emerson rep being blunt makes sense. People went from comments on the knife to trashing the brand (which is a jump) not to mention the fact that IMO more communication other than the initial contact should have been made.

2 OM is right on point in saying that the knife should be inspected by those who make it before determining anything. THEY MAKE THE KNIFE, they know what is and is not wrong as well as defective. Not to mention that in a customer support role that's generally how replacements go. Procedures are there for a reason.

I Agree 100%.

I hope things get worked out on Bob's Sheepdog and he ends up keeping one. I have been very happy with mine.:)

Last edited:
Dear Members,

Sorry this has turned into a clusterf*ck.

To give this some perspective:

1. bobnery, just send the knife in and we'll do whatever you would like. I believe that you were misled with the mention of a restocking fee. We never make that call on a defective product.

2. Unfortunately a restocking fee is a necessary part of doing business these days. It came about as a result of abuse by customers who would order a knife, send it back, exchange for another, send it back, exchange for another before they picked one to keep. We had one customer do this 7 times before we finally said enough is enough. We actually have a list of offenders that we stopped shipping knives to as a result of this activity. And there was nothing "wrong" with the knives, many times it was just to get a different colored handle. Most companies charge a restocking fee as a result of such behavior, not just Emerson.

3. I stand by what EmersonREP stated in his emails. He has every right to be skeptical, especially after an existing situation is dropped out of the blue, into his lap, with several prior pages of "why Emerson sucks" postings. We have been hit by every scam you can imagine and always need to verify the facts before we commit to any response other than, "Just send the knife in and we'll check it out." And it doesn't just happen to us. There are dozens of similar stories that all the other knife companies have also experienced.

Please do not misunderstand that I am saying this about bobnery. I believe that he is an honest guy who had a problem with his knife. We'll take care of that.

But for those of you to insist that a video is proof of anything, you are being a bit naive. We had one guy send a video showing screws that just "dropped" out of the knife, 3 or 4 of them actually as he "took the knife out of the box." I know for a fact that it was a scam because I personally sent him the knife. He had contacted me at a knife show about doing a "great video" about our knives. It was staged and he had loosened all the screws prior to shooting his video. If I ever see him again I may loosen up a couple of his screws, personally.

We even had one guy order a knife from us with a credit card, claim the knife was never delivered, request and receive a charge back on the order. Then the knife shows up in a video he shoots. We knew it was the same knife by the serial number. Not everyone on the internet or even this forum are all honest and "pure as the driven show" as my Mother used to say. As hard it is to believe Bladeforums does have its share of snakes. Luckily though, most of the members are forthright and honest.

So, and I'm not implying that it happened in this case, but by merely loosening the pivot screw I can shoot a video showing a knife that would just drop out of a handle via gravity. What would that video "prove?"

EmersonREP has every right to be a little skeptical about any "proof" without Emerson actually seeing one of its products in person.

There's really no need to be offended by asking to do so before any judgment is rendered.

EmersonREP has done an outstanding job of representing Emerson Knives on this forum and has an impeccable record of doing so. I thank him for all of his efforts. It's on his time. He volunteered to do this job and he does not make one penny for doing so. I wanted someone who was knowledgeable about our product and who would have an even hand on the keel of this forum. I was not that guy. I think I found the right guy.

Once again, to bobnery, sorry about all the confusion and angst. We'll take care of you and make it right. We always do. And let me state once again very clearly and plainly. No one thought you were being deceptive or dishonest. I just brought up those stories to put some perspective on this wildfire thread.

My Best Regards,

Ernest Emerson

You calling me a liar? WTF! You Lucky you're on the other side of the country.....

Gotcha.:)

Group hug

Ernest, very well said.

Not only do you design and produce some of the world's finest knives, but you are able to convey your thoughts in a very straightforward, clear and professional manner. I salute you. I just wish I had the ability to do so as well myself.

Myself, I think EmersonRep is doing a fine job. He's pretty even-keeled and represents the brand well. I'm pretty certain I've read every one of his posts since the day he started, so I can say that with no hesitation.

And bobnery, I look forward to your thoughts on the next Emerson you receive. The smart money is on it's a whole different experience, so it might behoove you to follow through on it. It could be exactly what you were looking for.

Last edited:
That's exactly the way I thought it would go--thanks for taking the time Mr. Emerson. Thanks to you as well, Emerson Rep. :thumbup::thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back