Emerson "Wave Shaped Feature" Announcement

Dear Members,

I am pleased to announce that the "Wave Shaped Feature" is now a certified and registered trademark #4,879,356 of Ernest Emerson in addition to our ownership of the patent of the wave feature.

Our ownership and right to defend ownership of the feature now extends indefinitely, which we will continue to do with full effort.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our efforts over the years.

My Best Regards,

Ernest Emerson

Good to hear you guys got it as a full IP with protection rights. You'll probably be needing it pretty often...

Will this affect products made with the wave with your permission, like the waved Spyderco Delica?

This is likely a dumb question, but I don't know much about legal matters. Especially copyright law and intellectual property stuff.

Spyderco has official permission to use the "Wave-Shaped Opener."

There are also a few other knife companies that have permission to use it, such as Kershaw & Zero Tolerance (as Emerson has designs with them), plus Southern Grind.

There might be more, I am uncertain to who they are.

Once the patent runs out (usually 20 years from filing date), other companies can put a wave-shaped opener on their knives without paying royalties as long as they call it something else. I believe the additional trademark protection just means they have to call it something other than "Wave-Shaped Opener."

Trademark protection is indefinite but patent protection is limited and can't be extended.

I will have to look up the legal, its been a while.

Once the patent runs out (usually 20 years from filing date), other companies can put a wave-shaped opener on their knives without paying royalties as long as they call it something else. I believe the additional trademark protection just means they have to call it something other than "Wave-Shaped Opener."

Trademark protection is indefinite but patent protection is limited and can't be extended.

I will have to look up the legal, its been a while.

I suspect they can duplicate the utility but not the look.

I suspect they can duplicate the utility but not the look.

Something like that. I supposed they could make a "hook pocket opener" that functions the same but has a slightly angled instead of smooth contour.

Legal-ese always makes my head spin.

Cool.
I used to think the wave feature was a gimmick until using it recently.
On the verge of "revolutionary" in my opinion....another way to get a folder open one handed !

Dear Members,

I am pleased to announce that the "Wave Shaped Feature" is now a certified and registered trademark #4,879,356 of Ernest Emerson in addition to our ownership of the patent of the wave feature.

Our ownership and right to defend ownership of the feature now extends indefinitely, which we will continue to do with full effort.

Thank you to everyone who has supported our efforts over the years.

My Best Regards,

Ernest Emerson

Amazed it took this long to get it to trademark!

Well, let's just say I hope there are a lot more ZT collaborations, then...

Awesome news! Congratulations on finally getting it trademarked. It is a very long and tough process!

Back