ESEE 3 Glass Break Pommel Test

Very informative! I learned quite a bit. I see what you mean by trying a controlled stop at the window. That last break made me cringe because it looked like without the glove he would have been severely cut.

Thanks for posting the video.:thumbup: I have a 3 mil on the way and have been meaning to search for just the type of video you made.

Great test, thanks for posting the video. I didn't know about hitting the edges of the glass, but am glad I do now.

Lates,

Connor

Best Defense TV had a video from police training where they took a vehicle's radio antenna, bent it over 90 degrees, unscrewed it and busted out a side window with very little effort, hitting in the corner of the window. Much less effort than you were putting into it with the knife. They also tested one of the 50 cent keychain breakers, worked like a champ when used in the corner of the window. Unfortunately, I can't find anything of the sort on youtube.

Thanks for the vids and pics, very interesting.

BTW, is that a G30 in the pic?

Glock 26. It is my EDC CC gun. Very easy to conceal. I never leave home without it! It and the -3 Mill are sitting on top of my new backpack, a 5.11 Rush 12.

Stuff like this is always useful. It should be taught.

It should be taught. Before I went to test this, no one ever told me to hit the edge or corner of the glass. Every time we have shot, burnt, or banged up a car, we were using cinder blocks or 8 lbs sledge hammers. It didn't matter where in the window you hit it. Keeping a sledge hammer in the front seat with you is not feasible. But my ESEE -3 MIl is going to stay on my bag which stays in the front seat with me. So we decided to test it out. After posting the video, a few have stepped in and said what we found. Whacking the edge takes much less effort.

Also we found the ESEE -3 Mil will break the windows out no matter where you hit with a harder swing. The pommel will hold a sharp edge for many hits (read abuse), and just a quick sharpen before you head out to bring it back to a good point.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the ESEE-5.

Good stuff. I don't know HOW MANY times I have harped on the fact that reading it in the book is nothing like living it. The one reason I hate survival and martial arts books/videos is they're not real. Until you're freezing your ass off or soaking wet trying to get a fire going or getting hit square in the nose with a round house kick outta nowhere, everything you have read and studied is plain bullshit.

Last edited:
That shit hurts and will make you change your little aggressive asshole mind in a very fast manner.

Experience is a great teacher :D

THIS IS WHY I WILL "PROBABLY" NEVER REMARRY...LOL

no as far as my contribution to the thread....i like the idea of the glass breaker poms...the tire tool is in arms reach im my pickup...so hopefully i never need to use the knife for it....

I am bumping this thread VS starting a new one to drop a quick note. Just wanted to say that I took Jeff up on his offer and will be doing an ESEE -5 glass break pommel test. I now have the -5 in hand and am very imprest with it as everyone I show it to (even my hippy office manager wants one). I am looking around to get a few cars to try it out on as I am short of dead vehicles in my shop yard at the moment. I am really looking forward to tryin this knife pommel out. Consider the vidio inbound as soon as I work some details out.

Also would like to add the -3 in this thread has had the pommel resharpend to reddy itself should it ever be needed. I have also Rit dyed the scale to make the knife blend in to my black edc bag. This -3 is really turning into my favorite knife.

I also want to see you cut an escape sunroof with 5 :D

Looking forward to the next test!

Great video! Now archived into my brain "hit the edge". Thanks so many of us would not have known this with out your test.

When you get that sample knife from Jeff show us some egress carnage!

Back