ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the people that left would've stuck around and learned to use the new format, instead of using the excuse of the loss of spirit in the forum to leave, then possibly people wouldnt feel that the forum was weakened. We lost uncle bill and then the forum changed. For some it was to much to bear and they also left. Those that really cared stuck around and made the difference in the long run and we are better and stronger than ever now. Our spirit is only broken if we allow it to be.

True. I wish they would stick around. People resist change though. Tooth and nail it seems. Even though we might not agree with the reasons for leaving etc, The end result is the same. I hope some of the guys who are acting like they are done with BF read the last few pages of this thread, and change their minds.

Now I know people are joining every day, and we were all new at some point, but Ive found with forums, that its the regular posters that make the forums vibe. Plus the older guys, used to "mod" the forum and keep the BS in check. Especially since the WSS mods seem to not be around much. With these guys leaving because they disagree with politics and rules, we are losing that. I wish it wasnt so, but it is. It will bounce back. The new guys will be the older guys, and then some other thing will happen, and some will leave. It comes full circle, eventually. I will stick around. No plans on leaving. :thumbup:

FWIW, while I have noticed a change in WSS, I still like it, and think overall for the most part both wss forums are well managed.

If the people that left would've stuck around and learned to use the new format, instead of using the excuse of the loss of spirit in the forum to leave, then possibly people wouldnt feel that the forum was weakened. We lost uncle bill and then the forum changed. For some it was to much to bear and they also left. Those that really cared stuck around and made the difference in the long run and we are better and stronger than ever now. Our spirit is only broken if we allow it to be.

I rarely visit your corner of the world, bot have heard many great things about Uncle Bill. I am sorry for your loss.

I agree with in the spirit of what you're saying, and truley hope that the experienced members that the WSS have lost will find there way back.
I have no problem with the moderation of the WSS forum, and even welcomed the split when it first happened. I just am stating what I see in the lack of participation.

I have no problem with any of the mods of bladeforums, I may not agree with some of their decisions but judgement calls are not easy..

I have met Ken C in person, and get along with him just fine. I have seen him move threads that didn't need moving to places that I didn't think they belonged, but that doesn't mean I think he is a bad person or bad moderator. I just see things differently then him on some matters.

I have never met Jeff Randall, but have spoken to him through email plenty of times and consider him a friend. I will not get inbetween his and Ken's dispute, but I will tell them both that they are both thick headed and need to come to an agreement.

There is plenty of room on bladeforums for the both of them. Ken can stay out the ESEE forum and Jeff can stay away from Ken. Essav spends some time in the ESEE forum and is quite capable of keeping an eye on things.

Just my oppinion that doesn't mean squat, but with almost 9000 post in 3 years it's obvious that I am not shy about giving it :eek:

It's not like they died or anything. They just moved to their own free-standing forum. :)

Those of you that have a paid membership--everyone who was a part of the ESEE "club" still has a membership here, so there's no reason to feel like it's some kind of divorce and you're a victim of sole custody. All your friends are still here. They're just over there too now. And we can still discuss ESEE stuff in General. The money from your membership is still supporting not only this community, but the culture and industry of cutlery. That's something to be proud of. ;)

I hear you. However, I support the cutlery industry by purchasing knives I like. I have never bought a knife from here, I have never sold a knife from here. I only bought a subscription here because of ESEE. It is not a big deal, just sad that some of the mods might have felt a bit too important and had to drive away the best thing on this forum.

Hopefully it can all be resolved, but I am one that came for blades and stayed for ESEE.

The forum is the same, just formatted differently. Negativity breeds negativity. Apply the same power in a positive manner and it will yield positive results. Believe it or not all you guys who speak negatively are doing more to hurt that forum than any format changes ever could.

I wouldn't have classified my statement as a negative statement. Exactly why I decided to be more of a lurker than a poster so as to not take away from the new community being built with the new rules.

Also to add - I still consider this overall forum and especially WSS a great source of information that I turn to regularly.

I rarely visit your corner of the world, bot have heard many great things about Uncle Bill. I am sorry for your loss.
I agree with in the spirit of what you're saying, and truley hope that the experienced members that the WSS have lost will find there way back.
I have no problem with the moderation of the WSS forum, and even welcomed the split when it first happened. I just am stating what I see in the lack of participation. I have no problem with any of the mods of bladeforums, I may not agree with some of their decisions but judgement calls are not easy.. I have met Ken C in person, and get along with him just fine. I have seen him move threads that didn't need moving to places that I didn't think they belonged, but that doesn't mean I think he is a bad person or bad moderator. I just see things differently then him on some matters.
I have never met Jeff Randall, but have spoken to him through email plenty of times and consider him a friend. I will not get inbetween his and Ken's dispute, but I will tell them both that they are both thick headed and need to come to an agreement. There is plenty of room on bladeforums for the both of them. Ken can stay out the ESEE forum and Jeff can stay away from Ken. Essav spends some time in the ESEE forum and is quite capable of keeping an eye on things. Just my oppinion that doesn't mean squat, but with almost 9000 post in 3 years it's obvious that I am not shy about giving it :eek:
Absolutely amazing, 200+ posts & TonyM sums all of them up in a few sentences . . .
Myself as well hopes this situation gets worked out. Only being on here a short 6 months, the knowledge I have learned about the outdoors, knives, bushcraft, etc. from the "vet's" on here is priceless. It would be a shame to see that somehow damaged.
As Karda says, positive power can work miracles, just check my avatar if you do not believe it . . . .
Be safe.

I wouldn't have classified my statement as a negative statement. Exactly why I decided to be more of a lurker than a poster so as to not take away from the new community being built with the new rules.

Also to add - I still consider this overall forum and especially WSS a great source of information that I turn to regularly.
Point taken. It wasnt really negative, but had enough content for me to make my point.
I probably could've found a better example, my 'pologies.

The forum is the same, just formatted differently. Negativity breeds negativity. Apply the same power in a positive manner and it will yield positive results. Believe it or not all you guys who speak negatively are doing more to hurt that forum than any format changes ever could.

Say what you like, but heavy handed moderating over the past few years (and not by the W&SS Mods) has really changed the nature of that Sub-Forum.

Many of the regulars there have been forced to take their reviews, stories and photos elseware.

It's sad to say, but lots of us are taking skills discussions to other areas of the internet. :(

Edit to add: Even this thread, which was posted in the General Forum as directed, has now been shuffled back to a less visited Sub-Forum; I don't see any moderator fessing up tp the move (typical around here lately); is this an attempt to get this hot topic off the Radar?

Looks that way to me.

Big Mike

Last edited:
Point taken. It wasnt really negative, but had enough content for me to make my point.
I probably could've found a better example, my 'pologies.

No sweat man - That's why I like this place, for the most part - people say what they want and are open to having a discussion about it rather than butting heads.

Point taken, though.

As I got into knives I bought an Ontario, then ESEE woodcraft knife. I began to frequent multiple forums including BF, EDC, knifeforums, USN, Spyderco and CPF.

I don't have every nite to keep up to date with threads and made a decision to join one forum as a paid member and keep up to date on it. The ESEE forum was the only place i read through most posts for my education on Bushcraft and a few laughs from the passionate members.

Jeff offering up BF 100 arrow heads and a chance for a LE Junglas put me over the edge to be a paid supporter of BF. I liked seeing various knife manufacturers part of this BF forum contributing information that was part of my ongoing education.

The ESEE forum was the most lively and well supported IMHO by its owners. There was a fun, friendly feeling. Though I never made an effort to become a Rat pack member or whatever i did like what they added to the culture here.

I love BF but will miss these posts in this sub-forum, best luck to all with these changes.

Not a big deal. Rather simply done, and abrupt though.

You have to respect the decissions of others to move on if they wish. ESEE is collectively smart enough, if that was how they chose to leave, then that was exactly how they wanted it I would think.

Bladeforums will still be my mainstay, there is far too much here beside what are you EDC'ing today, to leave over one manufacturer.

Big Mike said:
Say what you like, but heavy handed moderating over the past few years (and not by the W&SS Mods) has really changed the nature of that Sub-Forum.

Many of the regulars there have been forced to take their reviews, stories and photos elseware.

It's sad to say, but lots of us are taking skills discussions to other areas of the internet. :(
What to you seems like heavy handed moderation is actually organisation. If the nature of the forum changes it is because of the members.
Nothing is lost, just put in a category.
If the members choose to take their topics/material elsewhere, then the fault lies with them. They have abandoned something they professed to love. By breeding negativity they are also scuttling the ship on their way out.

Big Mike said:
Edit to add: Even this thread, which was posted in the General Forum as directed, has now been shuffled back to a less visited Sub-Forum; I don't see any moderator fessing up tp the move (typical around here lately); is this an attempt to get this hot topic off the Radar?
It was put in the appropriate forum, nothing more. There is Nothing to "fess up" about. The General forum, as stated in the header, is for general KNIFE discussion. Matters concerning operations of the site belong in service and support. If more members did less bitching and concerned themselves with reading and understanding the rules and how the various subforums operate, there would be less moving of topics in the first place.

Last edited:
you know i would have to disagree with everything that you talk about karda, as to the forums being the same when a certain "group" or "click" of people tend to be pushed out of a forum or forced to leave do to some mods getting a chip on their shoulder and run on a power trip (organizing) . i've been involved with dozens and dozens of forums from cars, gamers, reef forums and whatever direction my hobbies take me, and honestly i see this stuff all the time, and the fact that this does happen, and that these mods do Change the "spirit" of the forum is very real. cause with the following the Esee forum has and the resentment everyone(maybe not everyone but a lot of people) is going to hold BF responsible for allowing this to happen to such a loved and followed group is only human nature. its sad but very real and true..im not saying its going to bring down BF, but there will be that "some thing" missing if they can not come to an agreement and this certain Super Mod cant get off that horse he/she road in on and let the Esee forum operate. if those threads that are being moved w/out question cause they "dont belong there" then why do these forums in the prefix have specific titles such as an OFF topic, recommendation and so on...? bottom line if Esee disappears there will be that "some thing" missing no matter what and BF wont be the same.

Obviously, we care. Please keep us posted as to when things get back to normal.

1000+ folks shouldn't have to hunt for information as to why they can not communicate with their online friends.

Again, thanks to Sparks and the crew.

There is plenty of room on bladeforums for the both of them.

Tony, I agree with that. I have spoken with Ken about a sheath in the past, and have emailed/sent messages with him back and forth on BF and Jerzee Devil. I have never met Jeff, but I have no problems with him. From his posts and magazine articles, he seems like good people.

I hope that the ESEE forum is re opened.

Registration has been disabled my the Admins on the ESEE site forums, do I need to email Jeff or Mike? I have owned ESEE in the past, but none right now. I like to visit there and learn what I can. For what it's worth, I am planning on getting a Junglas.

You know I dont voice my opinion often on any forums that I visit but this is really bugging me. Many of the post on here almost make it sound like if your main forum your on and enjoy is ESEE than screw you we dont need you. Now maybe no one has said it but that is the message that is coming across Now I may just banned for opening my big mouth and disagreeing, but this attitude is BS. Look at all the pages on this subject. Look at all the folks that enjoy the ESEE forum. I dont know any of the mods and have no beef with any of them. I do have a problem with the attitude of screw all you ESEE forum fans because etheir are plenty of other forums and members. This might not be the attitude intended, but sure the heack is what is coming across.

For the record, anybody who thinks that the ESEE Forum isn't valued and wanted on these forums is just plain wrong and you can quote me on that.
In fact, I was the one that brought them to these forums by putting them in touch with Spark in the first place.

And many of you have no idea how much work has been going on behind the scenes to try to resolve this issue and come to an accommodation.

Jeff and Mike have been friends of mine for 12 or 13 years and we've hoisted more than a few beers during that time.

If they leave, and I respect their decision whichever way it turns, it won't be for lack of trying to prevent that from happening. They are my friends and will always remain so.

So please, all I ask is that folks not deal in spurious allegations and rumors because chances are you'll have gotten it wrong.

Blues thank you. I agree. If the decesion is final from them ,I'm cool with that. I've already joined over there. There just seemed to be a little attitude going on that bugged the crap out of me. I'll shut up now.

you know i would have to disagree with everything that you talk about karda, as to the forums being the same when a certain "group" or "click" of people tend to be pushed out of a forum or forced to leave do to some mods getting a chip on their shoulder and run on a power trip (organizing) . i've been involved with dozens and dozens of forums from cars, gamers, reef forums and whatever direction my hobbies take me, and honestly i see this stuff all the time, and the fact that this does happen, and that these mods do Change the "spirit" of the forum is very real. cause with the following the Esee forum has and the resentment everyone(maybe not everyone but a lot of people) is going to hold BF responsible for allowing this to happen to such a loved and followed group is only human nature. its sad but very real and true..im not saying its going to bring down BF, but there will be that "some thing" missing if they can not come to an agreement and this certain Super Mod cant get off that horse he/she road in on and let the Esee forum operate. if those threads that are being moved w/out question cause they "dont belong there" then why do these forums in the prefix have specific titles such as an OFF topic, recommendation and so on...? bottom line if Esee disappears there will be that "some thing" missing no matter what and BF wont be the same.
Noone forced anyone to leave. None of the mods here go around with a chip on their shoulder looking to mess with people or topics unecessarily. The Off-topic prefixes are there because of the software, when there is a forum specifically for a topic, the posts should go there. Just because you have an affinity for a certain forum does not mean than anything you post is allowable there. This has already been covered in the W&SS forum. The problem is people LIKE to post in their little clique forum and are making it difficult to keep the forum on topic, which is why the other forums were created. Instead of bitching and tearing the forum down, how about applying the same zeal to building the forum up and helping new people navigate it. The forum is only as good as it's members.

kyhunt said:
You know I dont voice my opinion often on any forums that I visit but this is really bugging me. Many of the post on here almost make it sound like if your main forum your on and enjoy is ESEE than screw you we dont need you. Now maybe no one has said it but that is the message that is coming across Now I may just banned for opening my big mouth and disagreeing, but this attitude is BS. Look at all the pages on this subject. Look at all the folks that enjoy the ESEE forum. I dont know any of the mods and have no beef with any of them. I do have a problem with the attitude of screw all you ESEE forum fans because etheir are plenty of other forums and members. This might not be the attitude intended, but sure the heack is what is coming across.
Where is anyone saying this? It is news to me. Everything possible is being done to rectify this situation in an amicable manner.

I'm convinced Ethan Becker paid off BF to boot ESEE. :D The George Bush was possibly involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back