ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by Norsman, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j williams

j williams

Nov 14, 2005
    Thanks for chiming in Blues.....Well said. :thumbup:

2. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    I don't think *everyone's* making that sort of accusation. However, if a growing number of members begin feeling that way and expressing those concerns, then maybe there's something there.

Regardless, I do believe folks are entitled to feel the way they want about a particular issue. If they feel over-moderation is taking place, it's up to them to decide whether or not they want to put up with it.

Personally, I do feel some folks here are a little too gung-ho with the mod privs, at times. Heck, I've seen a few without mod privs with the same problem (what I see as a problem).

Is it a big enough problem for me to want to leave? Not yet. Hopefully, not ever. We'll see.

Spark, your house, your rules. That's fine.

If I ever decide I no longer like this house and/or its rules, or how some of the mods are allowed run this house, I'll let you know before I go, for whatever that's worth. I don't believe it'll carry much weight here. But, again, I have a feeling I'm not the only one who feels this way.

3. Spark

Spark HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate Staff Member Administrator Super Mod Moderator

Oct 2, 1998
    Constructive criticism is always welcome. Bitching isn't constructive. Wise people know the difference. :)

4. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    Ok, verdict is in. ESEE Forum is staying closed. We offered a cantina style subforum under the ESEE forum itself for all non-ESEE Knives related discussion and was told that wasn't acceptable, so here we are.

It was fun while it lasted.

5. i dont think changing venue is going to stop '"whining , trolling , argueing " in the long run, guess what guys if your on the internet your gonna run into some people that have nothing better to do than these three things right here. i think having a "campfire setting" is a little bit of a pipe dream seeing as to how your on the worldwide INTERNET. i guess you could exclude or limit the number of people to join the newer forums but that a bit "douchey" and "clique" . either way your knida losing cool factor, esee to me at least was a great fun forum where there wasnt judgement or hostility and with alot of info. jeff should realise that if people are complaining about not being able to buy his products bc they are out of production , he should either take it as a compliment or start producing those products? pretty simple really. i guess jeff only know why he closed it , but his statement on the other forum was a little whiny in of itself so to each they re own and keep em sharp.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    True.

Also, wise people would not see constructive criticism as bitching (unless it was clearly bitching, of course). ;)

7. :thumbup:

8. amon

amon

Nov 11, 2009
    I was being constructive in my post, takes a wise man to see that perhaps. Anytime in life or business something happens that is unexpected and you have a group that are unhappy you have to internally look at the possible issues with open eyes. Telling me to chill because I bring this up looks childish.

It is your site, run it how you want. However, you should look at what your members are saying and not just tell us how to act and think.

9. Blues

Blues Lapsed SuperMod / Cattle Knife Rustler Staff Member Super Mod

Oct 2, 1998
    Thanks. We may not have succeeded in getting things to where we wanted but it wasn't for lack of trying.

10. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    Hey, if you aren't happy that ESEE asked to close their forum down, be unhappy with ESEE, because I didn't ask them to leave.

Past that, the site isn't overmoderated. Since it's being discussed elsewhere, a thread about a third party product was moved from the ESEE forum to the Gadgets & Gear forum where it belongs. This has happened twice in two years. This was, apparently, too much and a line was drawn in the sand.

Here's the deal, folks: You will never please 100% of the people. My first duty is to this site and customers. I really wish we never needed to move threads, or issue infractions, or ban people, but you can't make an omelete. If people aren't willing to work with us and follow our policies, or even compromise and help us work together, this site wouldn't be where it is. We have subforums for a reason, and though we try to be laid back and laissez faire, sometimes things get moved, or threads locked, or people banned. You can either deal with it and move on, or you can scream about it. Like I said, 1 week from now, nobody would have given a damn about a thread being moved, but a mountain got made out of a molehill and here we are.

11. wintermute

wintermute Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Spark, will it be possible to move on-going threads out of the ESEE forum into another forum on a request-by-request basis so that discussion can be ongoing - for instance The Idiot's Guide to AR-15 Rifle (or an Idiot Building One) - into G&G

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707427

12. RevDevil

RevDevil

Nov 9, 2009
    Well, it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for trying Kevin and Elliot :thumbup:

That is what it seemed like at first, without all the details when I initially heard the news.

Good post Nonprophet :thumbup:

13. Spark

Oct 2, 1998
    Done. (Constructive criticism ahoy!)

14. texastonydobbs

texastonydobbs

May 25, 2007
    I will still be available from time to time & post stuff on here about ESEE & other things as well, No hard feeling towards BFC at all

15. teacher

teacher

Apr 11, 2001
    No bitchin', moaning, or whining... I just hate to see this happen. :(

16. nc527

nc527

Mar 22, 2009
    What ever side you are on, I would think spark would allow exceptions for one of the, (if not the) busiest forums on the site.

17. adaman04

adaman04

Jun 9, 2009
    No shit. BF has a great format to the forum. Very easy to read and user-friendly.

This really blows.

18. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Sorry to see ESEE go but I agree with the decision to move the thread that was moved. The ESEE forum has greatly watered down the W&SS and other sub-forums. I feel that unless you were asking Mike and Jeff about they're personal experience on a product then it shouldn't be there. A lot of the threads there should have been posted in the other (correct) forums but instead were posted there because of the ESEE clique.

19. risen

risen Banned BANNED

Sep 18, 2010
    Well, I respect ESEE's stand in all this, enough so, that I'm actually going to break my one-forum-at-a-time rule and register over there, as well. I like their overall approach.

Got enough ESEEs to qualify, I think. :rolleyes:

20. Adam Buttry

Adam Buttry

Nov 10, 2010
    If Jeff Randall wants to take his cultist followers to his tiny hole on the internet, I say let him. Cults are for the weak-minded. Seems to me he wanted the ultimate say-so over his domain (even though it wasn't HIS domain) and now he has it. IMO, this community will be better off without him and his nut huggers anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.