ESEE RAT Arrowheads, ideas...

One of the first things that came to mind for me when I looked at it was, " Well I won't need to have a knife that has an awl on it now" :) I use an Awl quite a bit when in the woods for different things, so I always carry a SAK with one... now I won't have too.

wow cool!

How much are these?

When and where can I get one?

:p J/K

I think these are cool. Im gonna throw a couple in various kits. I have a small hobo fishing kit I made with a countycom tube vault, Im gonna see what I can get as far as a cast with one of these. Good for snagin Frogs etc....

Add some inner-tube and length of straight wood, and I would think a guy could build himself a pretty good field expedient Hawaiian sling.

Last edited:
I will Be ordering a few of those when they come out Great idea! You Guys are always Thinking out side the Box. Thanks Don And Jeff!!

Hey, Cpl. Punishment (if the booze/pain meds combo didn't kill ya!)--How about something like this as a tanged spearhead? I put handle scales on it with H.E.S.T.-styled screws for using it as a knife/trowel when not mounted as a spear. The holes could aid with lashing or cord-wrapping, as would the flare of the tang, since it would help prevent the head from pulling out of the shaft.
spearshape.jpg

If it did have scales the top of them would probably be better of either flat across with a taper like on the RC-3 and 4 so the thumb wouldn't become irritated when it was used horizontally.

Last edited:
One of the first things that came to mind for me when I looked at it was, " Well I won't need to have a knife that has an awl on it now" :) I use an Awl quite a bit when in the woods for different things, so I always carry a SAK with one... now I won't have too.

Why would anyone look for a reason to not carry a SAK? :p

Jeff,

Will be in contact about what you need regarding that refresher course for those personnel.

Thanks for the high praise and from Shotty, too. That means a lot. :)

I'm not an employee of RAT Cutlery, but I am proud to be associated with it, to say the least.

42Blades,

If I E-mail you a scanned picture, can you convert it into an accurate schematic/blueprint-like drawing like you have in your last post?

42Blades,

If I E-mail you a scanned picture, can you convert it into an accurate schematic/blueprint-like drawing like you have in your last post?

Why yes, yes I could. :D
Email away, good sir.

Draw knife. Noone makes a good solid HIGH CARBON draw knife, and that just makes sense. I've had alot of time on my hands in the wintery woods of McCall, Idaho lately and have been attempting some basic rustic carving/woodwork with an axe, a chisel and a few knives. A nice high carbon draw knife would be tits. Also a beefy high carbon folding saw. Ulus are proven tools that we don't see around much today. In survival situations, thinking and acting like the natives is a key tip listed in every survival handbook I've read. Why not take some native tools from primitive civilizations around the world that haven't been commercially produced yet and produce them?

That's more like it, although I'd make it 1/4 to 1/3 narrower.
Again, spear first, anything else is gravy.

Cool beans. How about like this then? :D

protospear2.jpg

ETA: a wider blade whilst keeping an acute point would create quite the wound channel. :)

Last edited:
Don is a surviv-a-nerd.

Just as bad as any gamer or D+D geek out there, just he collects kits instead of cards.

Man I wish I weren't the same way.:D

Another thread in here made me think back about this, Shotty.

My brother likes to game zombies! Not because he believes in them or believes there is going to be some type of vampire-zombie-virus like "28 Days Later" or "I am Legend/Last Man on Earth/Omega Man" but simply because given the parameters of fictional zombie infestation, if you can game that and come out on top, perhaps surviving in more mundane circumstances would be easier. :D

What I like to game is this:

You have a large ruck and it's in the trunk of your car. You drive to wherever you are going to escape and you get out of the car and you pop the trunk and you put the ruck on and you walk in the woods and you're gone.

What do you need if you want to do that? Not that you intend on doing that, but this is the mental game.

This is from March 1969 FM 21-76 Survival Evasion and Escape (SERE was not en vogue yet...) and also October 1970 FM 21-76 Survival. They are two different sizes and two different books even though they have the same Field Manual nomenclature.

This is the spring and spear trap I mentioned days ago in the first ESEE Arrowhead thread.

springspeartrap1.jpg

It is a modification of the classic tiger trap and man trap known by a few different names, "Malayan Whip" or "Malayan Gate" or "Bamboo Whip." When men is your prey, you orient the whip horizontal and when you set it up for spring and spear, it is vertical as shown.

These are not Johnny Rambo fantasy traps, these were actually used in Vietnam and other conflicts.

Here is a man trap horizontal variation on this page, you can also see a Toe Popper and a Frag-in-a-can as well.

http://www.echo23marines6569.org/BoobyTraps.html

Now that's vicious! :eek:

Can't wait to start in on that schematic for ya', btw--looks super cool! :cool:

Back