Esnyx Custom Knives

Yowza! I like that. Nice work Evan! Lucky you Paul!
Thanks for changing the subject too.

Cheers Gary, I can't wait to receive it :)

The tweed composite turned out excellent! A special knife indeed.

Didn't it just! It makes the knife exceedingly special to me.

Fantastic Paul, I'd forgotten about the tweed. Very special :thumbup:

How did you settle on the design between the two of you might I ask?

When I first spoke with Evan about it he had only just decided to go custom and wanted to start with single blade designs. I thought about my favourite single blades, and the ones I used the most. - my GEC bullnose and my Opinels fit that mould. Then I thought about why I don't carry them all the time and came to the conclusion of size.

Being in the UK, when I'm out and about I like to carry small unobtrusive pocket knives - a three and a quarter inch sod buster sounded perfect. The tweed was Evans idea.

:)

Thanks for the compliments everyone! That was a very fun knife to make!

Fantastic Paul, I'd forgotten about the tweed. Very special :thumbup:

How did you settle on the design between the two of you might I ask?

The knife was actually all Paul's idea! He wanted a small sodbuster that he could comfortably carry, and thought some Harris tweed would make an awesome composite covers for the knife. He sent me a sample pack of different patches of tweed, and we decided the golden yellow would be appropriate for a soddy, so he sent me this:

E8B96087-4E20-4BE5-8DCF-ABFB019E34C3_zpsvvfxki2g.jpg

And I turned it into this:

5DF6CFD7-5B56-4D1D-B619-1369DF2BE106_zpsasau3vxq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for answering that one guys :D

Very interesting to read about, and thanks for the extra pics Evan :thumbup:

You should get a joint patent on those tweed covers before Scottish Tourism hears! :D :thumbup:

The fabric you guys landed on took me by surprise. I thought it was a faded Army blanket from a distance, and it conjured up phantom itches of past... Up close and personal I thought it was quite elegant and had an interesting iridescent red to it. It felt like a million bucks too! Awesome job Evan!

Great looking knives! I especially like the everse dogleg jack.

It has been fun to see how far you've come, and I look forward to seeing more in the future.

The fabric you guys landed on took me by surprise. I thought it was a faded Army blanket from a distance, and it conjured up phantom itches of past... Up close and personal I thought it was quite elegant and had an interesting iridescent red to it. It felt like a million bucks too! Awesome job Evan!

Was it you who did the composite? If it was, it looks like an awesome job :)

Was it you who did the composite? If it was, it looks like an awesome job :)

Nope, that was all me. :rolleyes::thumbup:

The only part of the entire process that I did not personally do was the heat treatment. Same goes for all of my knives.

I have a question Evan. Do you use a surface grinder to match tang thickness to spring thickness?

I have a question Evan. Do you use a surface grinder to match tang thickness to spring thickness?

I wish it were that easy! I do not have access to a surface grinder or a mill, so I have to match the thickness by hand using my belt grinder. Most,if not all, of my work is done freehand. Hopefully I can squirrel away enough to get a mill and surface grinder eventually...

The only part of the entire process that I did not personally do was the heat treatment. Same goes for all of my knives.

Hey now... I helped with stirring the resin! And drinking the beer afterwards!

I wish it were that easy! I do not have access to a surface grinder or a mill, so I have to match the thickness by hand using my belt grinder. Most,if not all, of my work is done freehand. Hopefully I can squirrel away enough to get a mill and surface grinder eventually...

Thanks Evan. I don't see large gaps between springs and liners and if the knife functions properly, I'd say you are doing a great job my friend. :thumbup::)

I am going to make three folders at one time since they are all the same pattern and was just curious. I have access to a machine shop so I will surface grind my blades and springs together, I don't trust my sanding skills. :eek:

Sorry mate, I take it back.

From what SinePari said I thought he had a hand in it. :)

Sorry mate, I take it back.

From what SinePari said I thought he had a hand in it. :)

It's all good! He did see it in person, but I wouldn't trust Zach with a cup of water let alone making a composite!! ;)

Hahaha, JK. Zach has taught me everything I know about forging and is solely responsible for my unquenchable thirst for the hammer and anvil.

Phil, on the other hand, is a hazard! I gave him one thing to do last week and he almost burnt down my shop!

Back