Everyone's latest acquisitions!

New todo list

BezTBrU.jpg

That polished Burlap is really nice, Congrats!!

Part of me really wants to get a v3 but the other part of me says its so similar to the v2 I'm probably gonna wait for the WArrior 3 instead.

I really hope they fix the milled titanium clip, it digs in to my palm when I use my thumb on top of the blade like the jimping allows. If I don't use the jimping thumb up, its fine but when I switch hold the clip becomes a hotspot on my palm.

For such an amazing knife the hotspot is really disappointing. it blows my mind on a $450 knife there are still sharp points on a milled clip.

Last edited:
Got this in recently, a Buck 531 Sawby Self-lock...the only time the Self-lock was used in a production knife. I gotta give Buck credit...they ALMOST nailed it, lockup is great but the action is nowhere near as smooth as my actual Sawby's.

IMG_20200809_072516_209.jpg

Seems like I've run out of folders that I want or can afford to buy and seem to mainly be buying fixed blade knives currently.

Just purchased a couple of Spyderco fixed blade knives, a Jumpmaster 2 to pair w/a Jumpmaster 1 that I already owned and a Serrata.

The H1 serrated JMs are cool and very suitable for use fishing or anywhere possible corrosion and max cutting ability is desired, more so than the Salts and other H1 knives offered by Spyderco IMO. You can choose the blunt nosed JM1 if you are boating in an inflatable or the JM2 if/when the pointy tip is desired and not a safety concern. The optional JM sheath (which you can use w/either knife) is also a cool way to carry the knives, whether you are a "Jumpmaster" or not. LOL! ;)

iu

iu

iu

However, I wanted to devote this post mainly to Serrata which was on my "to buy" list for a long time, which seems to be underappreciated and not often mentioned on BF.

iu

I was very impressed by the design and feel of the Serrata. The full tang blade is provides a "heft" that belies it's sleek design that seems best suited to just slicing/skinning when you look at how thick the blade is from above.

iu

If you are one who likes/needs to "baton" their knives to cut wood (and other things), there is no doubt in my mind that this knife can handle pretty much any abuse that the 440C cast steel (that Spyderco claims provides the steel with "exceptional strength, ductility, and cutting ability" which makes it a very suitable "bushcraft" knife for any anticipated outdoor use.

It will definitely be the knife I grab if/when I do any serious backpacking/bushwacking again. ;)

Seems like I've run out of folders that I want or can afford to buy and seem to mainly be buying fixed blade knives currently.

Just purchased a couple of Spyderco fixed blade knives, a Jumpmaster 2 to pair w/a Jumpmaster 1 that I already owned and a Serrata.

The H1 serrated JMs are cool and very suitable for use fishing or anywhere possible corrosion and max cutting ability is desired, more so than the Salts and other H1 knives offered by Spyderco IMO. You can choose the blunt nosed JM1 if you are boating in an inflatable or the JM2 if/when the pointy tip is desired and not a safety concern. The optional JM sheath (which you can use w/either knife) is also a cool way to carry the knives, whether you are a "Jumpmaster" or not. LOL! ;)

iu

iu

iu

However, I wanted to devote this post mainly to Serrata which was on my "to buy" list for a long time, which seems to be underappreciated and not often mentioned on BF.

iu

I was very impressed by the design and feel of the Serrata. The full tang blade is provides a "heft" that belies it's sleek design that seems best suited to just slicing/skinning when you look at how thick the blade is from above.

iu

If you are one who likes/needs to "baton" their knives to cut wood (and other things), there is no doubt in my mind that this knife can handle pretty much any abuse that the 440C cast steel (that Spyderco claims provides the steel with "exceptional strength, ductility, and cutting ability" which makes it a very suitable "bushcraft" knife for any anticipated outdoor use.

It will definitely be the knife I grab if/when I do any serious backpacking/bushwacking again. ;)
Excellent review/opinion, you are spot on as usual.

I use the Autonomy H1 serrated, very similar to the Jumpmaster 1, just not a fixed blade. For fixed I went with the Fish Hunter H1 over the Jumpmaster 2, strictly for the pointed tip and yellow visibility. I’ve had the Jumpmaster 2 in my cart and then not ordering it numerous of times.

The Fish Hunter sheath is ok, holds the knife tight, but not an efficient one handed draw in my opinion, especially if needed for an egress situation while diving. My best releases for diving have been a push bar button with a lift and draw movement, super secure and very easy to use.

I’m very impressed with your thoughts on the Serrata, as I’ve been in a toss up between that and the Sustain. Your thinking on the Serrata is more in line with my end usage of it, and your experienced opinion is most welcomed.

Thank you again for your post.

Back