Eyyyyyy--I designed this axe!

Not my style, but very cool. :thumbsup: Ive never seen a slip fit axe before, thats really neat. Good for you, and ignore the naysaying jerks. :)

It's the most common hafting method in a lot of parts of the globe, including Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, and most of Latin America. It does come with some tradeoffs but also affords a number of advantages.

It's the most common hafting method in a lot of parts of the globe, including Italy, Portugal, France, Spain, and most of Latin America. It does come with some tradeoffs but also affords a number of advantages.

I think it’s interesting. It’s like Japanese pull saws, versus western saws. There’s always trade offs, but in general different methods exist for different and legitimate reasons. I feel the urge to be binary, but I’m always trying to see if I like something better.

I see several things about that axe I like. Heavier heads on shorter handles are probably what I swing the most. By shorter I mean 26" or 28". Hardened poll, good move. I think both my 4 lb plumb and TT rafting axes poll might be similar in size.

Appears to be a good design on the blade and bevels.

Certainly be nice not to fight the heat baking and loosening my heads in the summer truck bed with the slip fit. Less antifreeze bucket time!

Less prone to break at the head/handle junction from impact of pounding wedges...thumbs up. Easy to replace when it finally breaks anyway.....thumbs up.

I agree with @Old Axeman on the poll chamfer being too wide, but that's the only thing I can see that's raising my eyebrow. And it's not that big a deal.

Looks like a good quality job from here, and a nice combination of several of the best features.

Now, it also comes with 28 inch haft. https://www.baryonyxknife.com/wooxaxeforte28.html
woox-axe-forte-28-10.gif

Hey, friends! I partnered with the good folks at Woox to design this lovely axe for them, and it's finally on the market just in time for the holidays! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do. The heads are made in Italy by none other than Prandi and the handles are made right here in the USA. Finally, a slip-fit handle axe with Americanized cheeks and an ample hardened poll!

Nice axe, 42! It looks awesome. I'd love to see the drop-forging dies in action, or whatever it is they do to shape that steel.

Question- how far back do they harden the blade, do you know? More out of curiosity than anything. This is at the top of my wishlist still.

FortyTwoBlades FortyTwoBlades Here's possibly a stupid question, because the part behind the bit (cheek?) is concave, what happens if you sharpen to that point? Is the axe head just done? Or is that basically not a possibility?

he's mentioned it before, I think it's one of his most asked questions- bold is my addition.
The cheeks aren't "phantom" at all -- they're full concave arranged in a diamond taper closer to the way that Nordic splitting axes are done. As you sharpen back into it you won't butt up against any reduction in thickness like you would on a Perfect or old AA&T Co. axes.

Also, who would this axe love more, me or EngrSorenson

Say me. It's definitely me.

I mean... I'm a pretty big fan of 42's work. I look at flavors of basically similar axes all the time, and then Benjamin comes up with this sucker. I was very pleased when I saw it show up in the big Tennessee knife company magazine this past week- it deserves more attention.

I'm unsure exactly how far back they're doing the hardening but it *should* be an industry standard 1-1/2" to 2" deep.

As far as sharpening back into the bit goes, as EngrSoreneson back-quoted because the hollows are true convergent bevels, so you'll never sharpen into thinner steel. You can think of them in a couple of different ways: Either like a regular axe with the ridge slapped on top of it (so there aren't any regions thinner than the edge shoulder as you work back into the cheeks) , or like you're drawing it in a pyramid in a 3D modeling program. If you take a four-sided pyramid and push two opposing corners together you have a diamond-shaped pyramid. Now imagine you split the point at the top into two points and spread them along the long axis of the diamond to form the edge. Then make the sides of the pyramid hollow.

thats a killer looking axe, may just have to add one to my tool shed!

That little troll from last year clearly doesn't know your extensive work, cus if he did he wouldn't be questioning your designs! I personally vow by the Baryonyx and Kingfisher machetes!

If you take a four-sided pyramid and push two opposing corners together you have a diamond-shaped pyramid. Now imagine you split the point at the top into two points and spread them along the long axis of the diamond to form the edge. Then make the sides of the pyramid hollow.
Now you're just making words up...🤔🤨

Back