Factory seconds sale?

Well the seconds sales is rapidly approaching and I was wondering if anyone has any info on if the sale is still happening this year?

The last I was told over on the factory forum was they are still working on a way to have it with the Covid restrictions in place, but it wasn't nailed down yet.

Oh? How do you buy on this sale? In person or over the internet?
I recently purchased a older Endura which had a reprofiled tip ( looks like 3mm shorter) and was also advertised as a factory second. Really not sure if the tip is the factory 2nd or something else i cant see?
So what makes a knife a factory 2nd?

Oh? How do you buy on this sale? In person or over the internet?
I recently purchased a older Endura which had a reprofiled tip ( looks like 3mm shorter) and was also advertised as a factory second. Really not sure if the tip is the factory 2nd or something else i cant see?
So what makes a knife a factory 2nd?

It’s in person at the mothership in Golden. Seconds vary by piece. Can be anything that didn’t pass QC. The knives are typically marked near the tang to ID it being a 2nd.

The last I was told over on the factory forum was they are still working on a way to have it with the Covid restrictions in place, but it wasn't nailed down yet.
Could they put it on line with lots of prior notification Maybe?

Online is not going to happen. There are too many factors against selling seconds sight unseen.

T
Online is not going to happen. There are too many factors against selling seconds sight unseen.
They don't have camera's? Why even mention it if 98% of customers are left out, have they at least tried it before?

Than Jack,

Hi Nephron,

We began our 2nd sale in the early 80's at the old Golden Road location. We've continued the event in four locations for almost 40 years. Hundreds attend. They get to look and feel each piece they purchase. Really can't do that with camera's. There are many things we discuss on the forums including events like shows. Your kind understanding is appreciated.

sal

T

They don't have camera's? Why even mention it if 98% of customers are left out, have they at least tried it before?

I'll cite two examples of "why not". When the WolfSpyder was released, I was interested enough to go to Ray Mears website and price it. At the time, it listed there for $279 plus international shipping to get it back here, which was out of my price range. At the next Seconds Sale, I happened to see someone snag one out of the trays and drop it in his basket. My eyes followed that green G-10 and saw a half dozen more of them in his basket. When I asked if he was planning to buy all of those, he replied "No, you have to try a bunch of them to make sure you get a good one." Every person I saw with one had four or more in their basket to sort through. Every time I saw that, I thought "You're getting a $300 knife for $85 and you're being picky?" Yes, they are.

Second example. At another Sale, I was proxy shopping for someone else and managed to find a lefty Military. The ladies at the checkout were surprised to see it, saying there weren't many of those out there. The person I bought it for sold it on when he wasn't able to correct some issue that I didn't even notice while examining it first hand.

These knives didn't pass QC for one reason or another. Even if the took and posted 20 pictures of each of the several thousand knives at the sale, you still wouldn't be able to feel the action or check for blade play.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the discussion and to Sal and his tesm for working to make the sale hopefully happen!

Hopeful something could get figured out for those unable to ever attend in person but totally understand if it doesn't happen. Would love to pick up a para 3 in k390 and use the hell out of it and would much rather have that $ go direct to Spyderco rather than bbs.

I'll cite two examples of "why not". When the WolfSpyder was released, I was interested enough to go to Ray Mears website and price it. At the time, it listed there for $279 plus international shipping to get it back here, which was out of my price range. At the next Seconds Sale, I happened to see someone snag one out of the trays and drop it in his basket. My eyes followed that green G-10 and saw a half dozen more of them in his basket. When I asked if he was planning to buy all of those, he replied "No, you have to try a bunch of them to make sure you get a good one." Every person I saw with one had four or more in their basket to sort through. Every time I saw that, I thought "You're getting a $300 knife for $85 and you're being picky?" Yes, they are.

Second example. At another Sale, I was proxy shopping for someone else and managed to find a lefty Military. The ladies at the checkout were surprised to see it, saying there weren't many of those out there. The person I bought it for sold it on when he wasn't able to correct some issue that I didn't even notice while examining it first hand.

These knives didn't pass QC for one reason or another. Even if the took and posted 20 pictures of each of the several thousand knives at the sale, you still wouldn't be able to feel the action or check for blade play.

Okay I understand, I thought the "problems" were cosmetic or didn't affect the mechanics. I don't feel bad about missing out now, I will stick with the "good ones". Oh and never ever buy one I see come up for sale without handling/inspecting it. Thank you nice to now.

The defects can be so minor you can't even find them or so blatant that you can't miss them. I've handled a few at the sale that look great but have a terrible feel to the action and others that looked terrible and have given years of faithful service. Being me, I've bought more than a few to modify to my own taste.

Are these limited to seconds produced over the last year, any chance you could find older models ?

There are usually some from previous years, and once in a while you can find even older pieces that have been returned, but there are no guarantees that anything specific will be there.

I would take a chance at a factory second since the price would be much reduced with only pictures? I’m not that picky. I recently bought on Ebay a used older Endura (1980’s) that I didn’t handle at more than half the price of a new one. The tip had lost aprox 2mm and had been reprofiled but for the price i went for it.
To be honest i love it. It hasn’t left my pocket in over a week. Its not perfect but apart from the tip its brand new. If i got an expensive knife I normally could not afford for half price it would be a no brainer. The phrase “don’t look a gift horse in the mouth”comes to mind. Plus i think it would be cool to look over a list and purchase a factory second.
I will add doing that to my bucket list. It would be fun!!
DN
I will add the seller described my Endura as a factory second and he lives in Colorado.

Okay I understand, I thought the "problems" were cosmetic or didn't affect the mechanics. I don't feel bad about missing out now, I will stick with the "good ones". Oh and never ever buy one I see come up for sale without handling/inspecting it. Thank you nice to now.

The knives are safe to use or they wouldn't be sold at all. Safe to use does not mean free of play, blade centered when closed, free-swinging when unlocked, easily flicked open or any of the other things people deem important.

From what I've seen watching people shop at these sales, "I would take a chance" is the exception, not the rule. When I agree to proxy shop for someone, I make it very clear that if they went to the sale, they could choose a knife with defects they can live with. Sending me instead will get them a knife with defects that I could live with, and I may well be less picky than they are. Usually it works out. Sometimes it doesn't.

Well not sure if i got it correct but if Spyderco does something with a list and pictures over the net i would be willing to participate. Can’t guarantee i will buy one or any but I can’t guarantee I won’t.

They should just call it a parking lot sale like the others do, just add the word inside, everyone understands that.;)

Back