Factory seconds sale?

Hi Buellrider, (nice scooter BTW)

Sorry, but we're currently planning on doing the "customer Appreciation Sale" at the factory. All of the powers that be (city, country, etc.) have given us the go ahead as long as we strictly follow their requirements. So it's going to be "different". Check our website.

sal

My apologies Sal if I posted incorrect information. As shown above from the screenshots, I saw the same Instagram post from Spyderco that said it was also going to be online.

Yep I was pretty pumped up when i saw the Spyderco instagram post, only to come here and have the proverbial rug pulled out from underneath me.

Understandable, I feel the same way. I would have been surprised if it happened, because it does seem very difficult, but I was excited, and had already started the mental exercise of which ones, and how many.

well I guess corrected. Kelly said they were going to try to do an on-line sale as well. She said she wasn't sure about maybe being shut down, so it is our back up.

sal

Let's hope it works out, I really want to try and snag a Rex 45 Shaman! Woot Woot!!

Can be anything that didn’t pass QC. The knives are typically marked near the tang to ID it being a 2nd.

Could anyone post a sample 2nd knife? so noobs like me can learn how to tell a factory 2nd's? Thanks

Sure; here's a pic of a Military DLC M4 blade with the notch ground into the spine near the jimping, shows up better on a DLC than a Satin finished blade. SecondsNotch.jpg

And here is the only thing that was wrong with this one; I switched out the scales with a previous CTS-204P model I had bought a few years ago... the etching went awry :)

MiltaryDLCM4Etching.jpg

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to proxy for me?

I would be willing, but they still haven't passed any reservation info other than there will be a system. With Covid cases on the rise in that area, there is a good chance of the in-person sale being cancelled, leaving us all with online or nothing.

I would be willing, but they still haven't passed any reservation info other than there will be a system. With Covid cases on the rise in that area, there is a good chance of the in-person sale being cancelled, leaving us all with online or nothing.
Gotcha. I thought I saw something on the Spyderco forum that the online was cancelled? Maybe I misread it.

I'll cite two examples of "why not". When the WolfSpyder was released, I was interested enough to go to Ray Mears website and price it. At the time, it listed there for $279 plus international shipping to get it back here, which was out of my price range. At the next Seconds Sale, I happened to see someone snag one out of the trays and drop it in his basket. My eyes followed that green G-10 and saw a half dozen more of them in his basket. When I asked if he was planning to buy all of those, he replied "No, you have to try a bunch of them to make sure you get a good one." Every person I saw with one had four or more in their basket to sort through. Every time I saw that, I thought "You're getting a $300 knife for $85 and you're being picky?" Yes, they are.

Second example. At another Sale, I was proxy shopping for someone else and managed to find a lefty Military. The ladies at the checkout were surprised to see it, saying there weren't many of those out there. The person I bought it for sold it on when he wasn't able to correct some issue that I didn't even notice while examining it first hand.

These knives didn't pass QC for one reason or another. Even if the took and posted 20 pictures of each of the several thousand knives at the sale, you still wouldn't be able to feel the action or check for blade play.
LOL, now its OK.

I sincerly hope the online sale goes better than I expect it to. I also hope that all those customers realize how many thousands of knives they are going to have to sort, pack and ship, and understand it isn't going to happen in a day or two.

It’s exciting. Never been to the sale but will be excited to attend online.

I don’t see how this is a good idea. Could of waited until next year, but Spyderco really cares about the ILU, and this shows. Good luck to all.

From another country, I'm hopeful this works well.
Can't find when, what date/time, and do I access it at SFO?

Back