Fairly Knives Chat - For people who like Knives, have Knives or use Knives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Daniel, I'm surprised you didn't let the old thread go for another week or so to make it an even year on your forum! Good stuff reading some of the older posts in there, this always has been and always will be the happenin spot on BFC! We are the cool kids, everyone else just ain't got a clue!

Oh yeah, I like knives, I carry knives, I use knives, I support knife makers, I make knives. Knives are my friend. Favorite knife? My DFK rigger is pretty friggin sweet, my DanCo hunter is on my hip every day (its still doin good bud!) My DanCo special gets lots of time at the dinner table, I lust over DHIII bowies, Mike Quesenberry knives, Serge Panchenko, Lin Rhea, Art summers, Grace Horne, the Fisk Sendero, modern custom criollo knives, and Ray Laconico for the modern along with Gusty Ceccini (GTC).

-Xander

Cool!

6-26-12 One year forum anniversary! I hope to have some kind of customer appreciation day soon, I owe you guys one!

Good morning men. Happy Friday!

Let's see... Some of my favorites...

DFK (pretty much everything, of course), Bill Siegle (esp. choppers), Bill Akers/Backwoods, Busse (esp. Pork Shank and Game Warden), nicely forged stuff, Case Toothpicks, bird-hunting folders (with the little gut-hook thingy), Chris Reeve older one-piece (esp. Aviator), Fallkniven, and I'm sure there are more.

Things I lust after are a Laconico framelock, a friction folder of my own (hint, hint, ...), and I'm sure there would be a lot more if I knew more of what was out there...

Morning guys! Happy Friday! I get to pick up my new (to me) rifle today, its also my mothers birthday today. I am working late, otherwise I would take her out to dinner. Hope everyone has a good one!

-Xander

Good morning men. Happy Friday!

Let's see... Some of my favorites...

DFK (pretty much everything, of course), Bill Siegle (esp. choppers), Bill Akers/Backwoods, Busse (esp. Pork Shank and Game Warden), nicely forged stuff, Case Toothpicks, bird-hunting folders (with the little gut-hook thingy), Chris Reeve older one-piece (esp. Aviator), Fallkniven, and I'm sure there are more.

Things I lust after are a Laconico framelock, a friction folder of my own (hint, hint, ...), and I'm sure there would be a lot more if I knew more of what was out there...

Cool knives!

Friction folder - in the works, I'm going to have a model or two out as soon as possible! Ti, Damascus and S7 or 3V likely for blades.

I have always been a big fan of Ray's work as well and want one of his folders. I had an epiphany looking at his knives, they "just" have to be perfect for people to like them! I love the clean lines.

Morning guys! Happy Friday! I get to pick up my new (to me) rifle today, its also my mothers birthday today. I am working late, otherwise I would take her out to dinner. Hope everyone has a good one!

-Xander

Happy Friday! Thanks again for the pics and testing Xander.

I hope work goes well for you, tell your mom happy birthday from us! :D

Keep us posted on the guns, that is cool stuff. I have the big Grizzly catalog, I was looking at all the gunsmithing supplies.

I have the new batch 99% ground! The Damascus knives need a few more minutes of grinding, they are on 900 grit... only need to be 600 but I like to take them further for a better contrast when etched. I am super happy with the grinds on this batch. :D

Good news on the Ti too, it will be in just barely in time!

Today is our 9th wedding anniversary! My wife and I are going to do something fun, not sure what yet.

Good news on that Ti. Looking forward to it.

Happy anniversary to you both! Hope you have a great day!!

Happy anniversary Daniel and Sara! 9 years your still newly weds! Hope everyone is having a great Friday! I spent most of mine driving 110 miles each way for an appointment they said they cancelled yesterday.Oh well went to Gander Mountain.

Good news on that Ti. Looking forward to it.

Happy anniversary to you both! Hope you have a great day!!

Much appreciated!

I ordered the first batch of Ti 5 weeks ago... backup 2 weeks ago... no Ti here yet but I'll pull it off! :D

Happy anniversary Daniel and Sara! 9 years your still newly weds! Hope everyone is having a great Friday! I spent most of mine driving 110 miles each way for an appointment they said they cancelled yesterday.Oh well went to Gander Mountain.

Thanks BigCountry!

That is rough on the appointment, funny enough my mom had almost the exact same thing just happen. I'm glad you turned it into a good day!

We just got back fro the lake, did some exploring. :D It was a great day off and I know tomorrow will be a productive one!

yo, daniel. -_- just yo. nah, actually lemme know of some ideas for rock hounding around Bend, OR if you got any. We will be heading to the fossil beds outside of Redmond and the glass somethin' somethin' or other east of Bend.. lol already forgot the name.. sigh. Just thought you might have some killer secret spots :D

peace out! more knives!

Hey Sloth357, I will try to find out for you! I think I have some obsidian from around that area...

Morning guys!

Hi doods!
Daniel- Yer boggling my mind with the knife steels!! Which steel do YOU think will work on my fricky?

yes there is plenty of obsidian around :D Looking for anything else :) but no worries, I'll check back later.. weather here turned rainy and grey again, OH BOY ITS SUMMER WAKE UP POS OREGON...

yeah, alright, need to wake up and eat :(&)

Hi doods!
Daniel- Yer boggling my mind with the knife steels!! Which steel do YOU think will work on my fricky?

My focus is on tool steels.

Steels I highly recommend.

S7 - My favorite steel is S7, it is what I have on my folder I made to keep. Compare the stats to INFI, S7 is good stuff! Tough, holds a good edge, easy to sharpen.

CPM-3V Also a favorite, tougher and better edge holding that just about anything. Harder to sharpen but you might not need to for a long time!

1084fg - I believe 1084fg is superior steel, it is made to high specs like a tool steel and has vanadium - without getting technical .084% carbon is a perfect number. I will not be using any for folders though, I will go with flat ground steel for that.

I may work in some more M4, I am very impressed with it from my limited use.

Look out for more of just about everything I have worked with, I haven't found a bad steel yet. I don't plan on using many water hardening steels in the future... 1095, etc. I have tons of O1 in 3/16" (24') so look out for lots of that, maybe a big bushcraft run.

S7 and 3V are premium in cost as well as performance, on the other hand 1084fg is a top performer and budget friendly. Steel cost is usually a small part of the expenses though, for example it costs way more to finish 3V than to buy it. I always keep cost in mind, I want to give the best value at all price points.

I'm working with a lot of steels, many because of order requests and because I want to try the steels out. I have many random sections of steel left over and that is one reason I am switching to choosing the steel for the most part, it gets expensive buying a new bar for every order. I'm also switching to all or mostly precison flat ground steel, spending hours grinding out divots and dips in un-processed steel is not a good way to spend my time.

My likely future steel choices

S7
3V

I'll be using more
O1
M4
A2
O1
D2
154cm or cpm154
various damascus
W2

I just need to knock down my selection, as you see I really like steel. I actually look over my stock sometimes like a collector, lol! I will be using less of some steels because of logistics also.

I'll also be working in more stainless, so far I really like 154cm. CPM154, Elmax, S30VN are all possibilities.

Last edited:
Hi doods!
shorter answer! :D

S7

3V

A2 or many other options

For folders I will stay away from steels that come rough from the factory, no 5160, 10xx series, etc...

Air hardening steels are the way to go.

Titanium - not a steel but I'll be using a lot more Carbidized Ti for knives in the future.

Last edited:
Morning men. Working a split shift today :( 8-12 at my store and 4-830 at a different store. I have been doing three days a week at the other store because they are short two managers. Its all good though because this is leverage for me to seek a promotion($$$). I have aready made my intentions known to the powers above me that I fully plan to persue a promotion aggressively! They have reassured me that they are watching me closely and are taking me seriously. So in short, nothing really gets in my way of me getting what I want! I work my butt off to make sure things go the way they should and the way that I want. I have been very happy with this company so far, and really could stick around for a long time. Its run pretty darn good.

Gun projects! I picked up my new donor rifle for a target gun build yesterday, but didn't have much time before work to really clean and inspect, but I did take it apart and took lots of pics. It has the most amazing natural plumb brown patina I have ever seen! It looks so cool as it is, I almost had second thoughts of tearing it apart. But then I quickly got back on track and have started much more research on this gun and what can be done to it. Pics are here if you want to see...

Savage model 4C .22 bolt action rifle project

-Xander

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back