Fancy Scales Thread. A CPK picture show

Heck yeah! Man, that black liner ...simple...hawt! Really sets off those scales. And durable to boot. Next best thing to Lignum Vitae for durability?

Funny you mentioned that lignum is actually my favorite handle material. That feathery grain, green hues, smooth texture and stable rock solid strength. If only I could get that on a CPK. Better yet on a d2 skinner... it'd be like winning the knife lottery dream for me.

PhotoPictureResizer_191017_110551681-2656x1494.jpg

They did a Lignum Vitae TC ?! Schnikies. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The TC is 1 of 66 technically sold as Palo Santo. Lignum vitae (wood or tree of life) or Palo Santo (holy wood) are different names for a wood that comes from the Guaiacum Genus. Not only incredibly strong but believed to have some healing/medicinal properties as well.
The tough part is distinguishing true lignum from the argentine lignum variety. You'd have to look closely at its pores.

Did I see this here or somewhere else recently?? When they use the stuff for marine bearings...holy crap!

View attachment 1214770

they started using Micarta as a substitute for lignum vitae for that application back in the mid-century. And now they use something else, making that Micarta obsolete. And that is where our antique Micarta came from, it is surplus from a shipbuilder who was using it for that ^

they started using Micarta as a substitute for lignum vitae for that application back in the mid-century. And now they use something else, making that Micarta obsolete. And that is where our antique Micarta came from, it is surplus from a shipbuilder who was using it for that ^

Very cool!

Now where does Bob B come from? I believe he’s tougher than Lignum.
Maybe tougher’n Jo (?).

No one does scales like Nathan does... Thats my story and I'm sticking with it because that's all know and that's all I can afford. Lignum vitae, curriculum vitae or legume vitae, all the same to me... I want African Blackwood, Nathan style, er, I mean discarded popsicle sticks!

Back