1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Favorite “cheap knife”?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by torqueguy, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Old John

Old John Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2018
    I like it too because of the second blade serrations.

mbkr likes this.
  2. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Me too...

[​IMG]

David Nowlin, mbkr and Beastchopper like this.
  3. Chucktabulous

Chucktabulous

Jan 11, 2019
    Almost any SAK or Opinel.

mbkr likes this.
  4. Spaniel1967

Spaniel1967

Aug 18, 2019
    What a stout blade on the Grik. Gideons Tactical on YouTube gave it a hard field work out and it held up well. Can't beat the Tri Ad lock for piece of mind. I'm finding the wide opening stud is easier on my thumb than classic narrow metal studs. Wouldn't mind seeing this in 3.25" but 3" is the magic number in many jurisdictions, and at least it's all edge right down to the handle (Delica and "finger choil" designs, I'm looking at you!).

Compared to my CS Hold Out, and even to my 3" Medium Voyagers (at least in Clip and Vaquero blade designs) the tip on the Grik is NEVER going to break off.

Love mine!

willc likes this.
  5. Spaniel1967

Spaniel1967

Aug 18, 2019
    I'm a fan of both the Rat 2 and the Zancudo. I'm not sure which I like more, but currently it's the Zancudo for the satin finish blade and thinner handle. Either in D2 are super utility knives thanks to the thinner blade stock and full flat grind. Logically I know the easy to wear off black finish is better for the D2, but satin finish looks less weapon-y on foreign trips. Mainly, though, the 3" blades help a lot.

I wouldn't call the Rat 2/Zancudo's in D2 "cheap" either in quality or in price though. I give my top vote to the $26 Cold Steel Grip, although technically their Prolite series is about $4 cheaper than the Grik. But as an Andrew Demko (quirky) design I favor the Grik over the more mundande Prolite line.

6. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    Just picked up a Buck 345 Vantage for $20.
    Good deal, good knife

7. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    upload_2019-8-18_18-40-50.jpeg
    The CAT

Getting older likes this.
  8. Getting older

Getting older

Jan 3, 2016
    Never seen one with a clip point blade way cool

9. Markisbear

Markisbear Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 8, 2019
    I have the ultratac 2 tanto

Catman10 likes this.
  10. Markisbear

Markisbear Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 8, 2019
    Dont laugh but I have a senrenmu 710 and it's a really good knife

willc, torqueguy and slimkango like this.
  11. schwep

schwep

Jan 4, 2017
    Hultafors Craftsman VMK GH - one grade up from the cheapest version with the hard plastic handle, this one has the handle with a rubber layer. SK5 carbon tool steel, fine tip that does not break, good grind (saber or scandi with a secondary microbevel, sharp as hell). The blade is narrow enough to get into notches during construction projects and finish them nice and smooth after having sawn them. Less than ten euros (or dollars). Better than a Mora Companion. For outdoorsy stuff, the Hultafors OK4. For affordable folders, Opinel is the one to beat.
    I have no real expensive knives (or what would be considered here 'high end'), so I could include the Jaakkaripuukko 140 as a 'cheap' but excellent hard-use somewhat larger outdoor work/camp/bushcraft/survival knife.

dirc likes this.